Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who's on your list for the HOPEFUL DC position:

I think change just to change at this point and time is obvious is needed. Your ultimate goal in Pro Sports is to be the best at something. Our defense in the MM/TT regime has only had one good/great year. I think the time has come to part ways with Dom Capers. So who's on your list for the HOPEFUL NEW DC? Me personally am not big on bringing in college guys right to a head position.

Lovie Smith- immediately came to mind, I'd assume he'd want to go to a 4-3

Mike Trgova-our current DL Coach, and was DC in Carolina before he came to GB

Tim Lewis- Atlanta Secondary Coach, have heard his name numerous times coming up as a potentilal head coach, despite his teams bad year this year

Kevin Green- our current OLB coach, who doesn't like his attitude and spirit
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    anyone thats not dom capers is fine with me
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Rex Ryan, Lovie Smith, Jim Haslett, or maybe Kevin Greene would be interesting... (not sure if he's ready), I am on the fence about 3-4 vs 4-3 though, don't really care, but players seem to be easier to find for a 4-3, and a lot of players we have could switch over easily in my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GB Football Fan View Post
    Rex Ryan, Lovie Smith, Jim Haslett, or maybe Kevin Greene would be interesting... (not sure if he's ready), I am on the fence about 3-4 vs 4-3 though, don't really care, but players seem to be easier to find for a 4-3, and a lot of players we have could switch over easily in my opinion
    My biggest concern honestly would be Clay Matthews. Where does he play? Don't get me wrong he'd be fine wherever he plays. But I'm not necessarily looking for fine. I think switching out of the 3-4 would take away some of his strengths and not sure you want to do that with your best and highest paid player on that side of the ball. Remember us basically just letting Aaron Kampman go after our switch from the 4-3? That being said, I think half our team (Perry, D. Jones, BJ, Mike Neal and possibly Daniels) would do better in the 4-3, if not more.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Ken Norton Jr. Seattle LB seems to always come up on winning and great defensive teams; playing and coaching

Patriot LB coach Pepper Johnson is a guy who has gotten a lot ink as potential DC over the past few years, has been entrenched in that great organization for a long time
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    My biggest concern honestly would be Clay Matthews. Where does he play? Don't get me wrong he'd be fine wherever he plays. But I'm not necessarily looking for fine. I think switching out of the 3-4 would take away some of his strengths and not sure you want to do that with your best and highest paid player on that side of the ball. Remember us basically just letting Aaron Kampman go after our switch from the 4-3? That being said, I think half our team (Perry, D. Jones, BJ, Mike Neal and possibly Daniels) would do better in the 4-3, if not more.
    I think Clay could be an outside linebacker, and then put his hand down on obvious passing downs, we have guys like Latimore, Jones, and Hawk that we'd be more than fine letting Clay be a hybrid role.

vCash
    I'm good with Dom. Our secondary is terrible. Teams can throw with ease. Thats the biggest defensive difference from the Super Bowl year. They have been run on lately, but that was against AP, who runs on everyone, and against the lions who were up big and it was obvious our team didn't want to be there anymore. I think the current defense under Dom can work with better Safety and Corners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    I think change just to change at this point and time is obvious is needed. Your ultimate goal in Pro Sports is to be the best at something. Our defense in the MM/TT regime has only had one good/great year. I think the time has come to part ways with Dom Capers. So who's on your list for the HOPEFUL NEW DC? Me personally am not big on bringing in college guys right to a head position.

Lovie Smith- immediately came to mind, I'd assume he'd want to go to a 4-3

Mike Trgova-our current DL Coach, and was DC in Carolina before he came to GB

Tim Lewis- Atlanta Secondary Coach, have heard his name numerous times coming up as a potentilal head coach, despite his teams bad year this year

Kevin Green- our current OLB coach, who doesn't like his attitude and spirit
    The team is constructed to play a 3-4 so Lovie would be out. The defense in Carolina was terrible until they got a new coordinator. Atlanta's defense is worse than the Packers. No thanks to that. If Wade Phillips doesn't get the HC job in Houston or elsewhere, I want him.

vCash
    The difference between Clay and Aaron Kampman is that Kampman is old...Clay would be an excellent LB no matter the defense. Plus people forget that he played in a 4-3 in college. Good enough to get drafted. I think at this point though any experiments on promoting from within should have taken place already. I'm not sure how willing i would be to let someone that hasn't proven anything in a head position taking the reigns on our defense to experiment next year. I think we need to find someone who is proven.

vCash
    Greene Ryan Lovie are very intriguing.
    Smith is a defensive guru, but doesnt have much rah-rah to sike up his plays.
    The ideal choice would be Rex, but i assume he goes and gets a HC job somewhere else.
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

vCash
    Over the last few years when Scouts/GM's/Packers reporters etc. talk about defensive coaches on the roster that are most likely to get a DC job, Greene is I believe the only name that is never mentioned. IDK if MM/TT feel differently about this but based on reactions around the league it sounds like he isn't ready to become a DC yet. Actually Whitt is another person I haven't heard mentioned if I remember correctly.

We talked about this awhile back and I don't think people agreed with what I was saying but the consistently repeated names among Packers position coaches are Trogvac, Perry, and Moss. A couple years ago Perry was mentioned as a possibility for multiple DC jobs. Trogvac is an obvious candidate because of his experience and actually good success as a DC.

At least a few of the current position coaches either played for or coached in a 4-3 defense a majority of their careers. I personally hope GB sticks with a 3-4 because I don't want to see the defense go through a transition period any longer than they have to. Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 doesn't happen overnight purely because of the personnel. The transition probably isn't as big as most people think but they each have players that don't fit the other system that well. What I was getting at though, most defensive coaches can coach either system. Most have experience in both and most of the schemes ran are pretty universal.

vCash
    Other than Rex, I don't know to be honest. I just don't know enough about other coordinators. I'd be wary of making any of our position coaches our defensive coordinator except for maybe Kevin Greene just because he's the complete opposite of Capers insofar as his energy and involvement in games and he seems to be able to get good play out of a lot of players who might not be expected to produce much. But like I said, my knowledge of defensive coaches and positional coaches is pretty limited. Greene could be a terrible choice and one of the position coaches could possibly do much better with the DC job.
    Last edited by JLynn943; 12-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyFish View Post
    The difference between Clay and Aaron Kampman is that Kampman is old...Clay would be an excellent LB no matter the defense. Plus people forget that he played in a 4-3 in college. Good enough to get drafted. I think at this point though any experiments on promoting from within should have taken place already. I'm not sure how willing i would be to let someone that hasn't proven anything in a head position taking the reigns on our defense to experiment next year. I think we need to find someone who is proven.
    That is true to an extent. If I remember right USC didn't play a straight-up 4-3 defense. A lot of the time they were running a 3-4 variation because of how good the LB's were on the roster. Matthews played the "Elephant" position which was more of a 3-4 OLB than anything else.

Also the 2nd bolded part isn't right either considering Trogvac was a really good DC for years. I believe he had one of the better defenses in the NFL for years and never had worse than a top 10 ranked defense. Moss has also been the assistant head coach for a long time in GB(I believe he still is). Not sure what that title entails but I have to imagine he isn't just working under that title for no reason.

Perry has some quality experience too and has been a coach in the NFL for quite awhile. He hasn't had the titles Trogvac and even Moss have had but still has a good resume. He has strictly coached in 3-4 systems I believe. He has about 10 years playing and coaching in Dick's system. Even if you don't like what GB has at safety now you have to admit he has worked and helped develop some very good safeties over the last 10 or so years.

Whitt JR doesn't have a ton of experience in the NFL but has been coaching for the last 13 or so years. He also has a pretty good history of developing players in the secondary. What he has done with Williams and Shields deserves recognition. Both were UDFA's that have excelled at one point in the NFL under Whitt. It isn't common to find 1 UDFA CB that plays at a probowl level. GB has found two in Whitt's tenure here. TT deserves credit for these finds also but Whitt deserves a lot more when it comes to Shields, at least. Shields was very raw when coming to GB. Shields even has admitted Whitt found a way to coach him up like other coaches haven't been able to. He needs much more experience before making a jump to DC though.

IMO the furthest away from being a DC is Greene, and rightfully so. He just doesn't have the experience coaching to take on a role that big. All these other position/assistant coaches have been coaching College/NFL for at least 13 years while Greene took his first coaching role in 2009 with GB. I highly doubt there has been a coach to become DC that fast or even close to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JLynn943 View Post
    Other than Rex, I don't know to be honest. I just don't know enough about other coordinators. I'd be wary of making any of our position coaches our defensive coordinator except for maybe Kevin Greene just because he's the complete opposite of Capers insofar as his energy and involvement in games and he seems to be able to get good play out of a lot of players who might not be expected to produce much. But like I said, my knowledge of defensive coaches and positional coaches is pretty limited. Greene could be a terrible choice and one of the position coaches could possibly do much better with the DC job.
    I think people are focusing too much on Greene's rah rah and not nearly enough on his lack of experience as a coach. A DC should be more worried about focusing on what offenses are doing, what plays to call, etc. than trying to pump his players up constantly. The position coaches should be the ones handling this and even then these guys are NFL players, it isn't college football with a bunch of young guys that need extra motivation to go out there and do what needs to be done. I'm not saying the DC shouldn't show energy but Capers is in the booth like a lot of other coordinators, so what is this energy going to do? It isn't going to pump the players up on the field that can't even see him. People show their passion in different ways. Maybe he is to focused on what is happening and not trying to show emotion so he can focus on the task at hand.

Me and my cousin were talking about Capers and his lack of emotion the other day. My cousin in a way compared it to when he was in the military. They're trained not to be emotional or show emotions when they're out there. All it does is distract them from what they're trying to accomplish. Obviously it isn't a perfect example considering one is war while the other is a game but it does make sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    I think people are focusing too much on Greene's rah rah and not nearly enough on his lack of experience as a coach. A DC should be more worried about focusing on what offenses are doing, what plays to call, etc. than trying to pump his players up constantly. The position coaches should be the ones handling this and even then these guys are NFL players, it isn't college football with a bunch of young guys that need extra motivation to go out there and do what needs to be done. I'm not saying the DC shouldn't show energy but Capers is in the booth like a lot of other coordinators, so what is this energy going to do? It isn't going to pump the players up on the field that can't even see him. People show their passion in different ways. Maybe he is to focused on what is happening and not trying to show emotion so he can focus on the task at hand.

Me and my cousin were talking about Capers and his lack of emotion the other day. My cousin in a way compared it to when he was in the military. They're trained not to be emotional or show emotions when they're out there. All it does is distract them from what they're trying to accomplish. Obviously it isn't a perfect example considering one is war while the other is a game but it does make sense.
    I'm not totally sold on the emotion thing (I think it's more an issue of involvement in-game), but I do think there is some merit to it - at least with this team. Players look totally unmotivated and defeated at times and make a lot of mistakes, so having someone there to get them focused and fix what's going on seems important and like something that we don't have much of right now. Maybe it's the position coaches' fault, but either way, Capers doesn't do much to fix what we're having issues with or address players in the game. I'd like to see a change in that philosophy with our next DC - someone down on the field getting involved, talking with players, etc.

As far as Greene goes, I don't really want him as our DC. I want someone more proven. I don't think it would be smart to promote from within at all though - none of our positional units are particularly good, so I'd like to see some major change.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast