Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Odds that Pineda can still be an ace?

I hope he still lives up to the promise of being a star but we have seen that before. Phil Hughes for one example.

I have read a number of conflicting things about coming back from that type of injury. How do you think he will do? Even when he was healthy we never saw him do great for an extended period of time because he is so young.

Hopefully he turns out to be what they got him for. That would be a nice surprise for 2014.
    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    1.63% chance

New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions Draft this man

3. 12-06-2013, 01:33 AM
    Reason
    Baiting

vCash

Odds that Pineda can still be an ace?

No ace. Solid 3-4 guy IMO

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    Not an ace. He was projected as a high #2 guy before the injury to form a dynamic 1-2 with Felix. Now with the injury he can still be that number 2 but more likely a 3 or 4.
    NY Giants
    NY Rangers
    NY Yankees
    Manchester United

vCash
    I'm just hoping he can become good. If he could be 3rd starter that would be great

vCash
    I don't think he'll ever be an ace but I still think he can be a front-end starter (#2, hi-#3). I think he can be a consistent 3-4 WAR starter year in and year out, health-willing.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Even when we got him he was never projected to be a legit ace because he lacked a 3rd pitch, the hope was he could develop an above average change up and that would possibly give him an ace type ceiling. While he pitched excellently for about 2/3rds of season for the M's he was still very much a project, his mechanics and delivery weren't very solid or consistent.

As far as what he can be when he comes back its a complete crap shoot with the kind of injury he had. Its very very important especially for shoulder injuries that its rehabbed very carefully and diligently. He had a reputation of being kind of lazy and if he doesn't work his *** of this off season that will play a huge part in his future success. Before he got hurt he was a pure power pitcher using 3 different FB's all that averaged 93mph or higher, if he doesn't rehab correctly its doubtful that velo will comeback and he will have to rely on better command/ control to be effective which was never his strength. Also when he started rehabbing in live game last yr if i remember correctly he was 91-92 but that may comeback if he works hard though his rehab

He had a plus plus slider before his injury and everything i read after his injury is that he still had a plus slider he just lost 3-4 mph off of it but again that could come back. Whats going to ultimately be the difference between him being a front of the rotation starter or a solid 3-4 type guy are still the same as before his injury, can he learn to control his stuff and can he develop a solid change up. We don't exactly have a great track record with young pitchers but with Patterson on board now i think that will change. I don't ever think he'll be a true ace but I think theirs a good chance he will be a solid 2-3 kinda guy for us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Even when we got him he was never projected to be a legit ace because he lacked a 3rd pitch, the hope was he could develop an above average change up and that would possibly give him an ace type ceiling. While he pitched excellently for about 2/3rds of season for the M's he was still very much a project, his mechanics and delivery weren't very solid or consistent.

As far as what he can be when he comes back its a complete crap shoot with the kind of injury he had. Its very very important especially for shoulder injuries that its rehabbed very carefully and diligently. He had a reputation of being kind of lazy and if he doesn't work his *** of this off season that will play a huge part in his future success. Before he got hurt he was a pure power pitcher using 3 different FB's all that averaged 93mph or higher, if he doesn't rehab correctly its doubtful that velo will comeback and he will have to rely on better command/ control to be effective which was never his strength. Also when he started rehabbing in live game last yr if i remember correctly he was 91-92 but that may comeback if he works hard though his rehab

He had a plus plus slider before his injury and everything i read after his injury is that he still had a plus slider he just lost 3-4 mph off of it but again that could come back. Whats going to ultimately be the difference between him being a front of the rotation starter or a solid 3-4 type guy are still the same as before his injury, can he learn to control his stuff and can he develop a solid change up. We don't exactly have a great track record with young pitchers but with Patterson on board now i think that will change. I don't ever think he'll be a true ace but I think theirs a good chance he will be a solid 2-3 kinda guy for us
    I'll take that, "solid 2-3 kinda guy" and if we get more than that it will be the cherry on the cake.
    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    Baby steps, my biggest question is can he still pitch for a whole season let alone be an ace. Would love to see him as our 5 this year though
    Mark Teixeira #25
    R- 0 H-5 HR-0 RBI-2 BB-1 SO-5 AVG-.278 OBP-.316 SLG-.278

vCash
    he could have a good career, but ace is probaly slim
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    I'd be happy with a solid #3

vCash
    His projection has to be less than it had been but I still maintain hope he can be a more than effective member of a rotation. I don't feel his being a significant piece to the back end of the rotation this season is as improbable as some suggest. He may not start there but I can see a contribution.

vCash
    Whenever I think of Pineda's situation, my mind goes to the career of Anibal Sanchez. Both were electric pitchers who busted onto the scene and wowed everybody, only to have a major setback because of a shoulder injury.

Now Sanchez dealt with injuries for a few years, and he finally seems to have gotten to a spot in his career where he can perform consistently without many injury problems. I think it's going to take a while for Pineda to regain even a bit of the form he had before.

Prediction: He will struggle for a while. The Yankees will lose patience with him, he'll eventually leave as a free agent. Then, he will sign with some scrub team like the Diamondbacks and go 19-6 with a 2.50 ERA in his age 30 or 31 season.

Yankee fans will say whatever, as Montero never panned out anyway. At least we got Campos?

We remember...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcabrera10 View Post
    Whenever I think of Pineda's situation, my mind goes to the career of Anibal Sanchez. Both were electric pitchers who busted onto the scene and wowed everybody, only to have a major setback because of a shoulder injury.

Now Sanchez dealt with injuries for a few years, and he finally seems to have gotten to a spot in his career where he can perform consistently without many injury problems. I think it's going to take a while for Pineda to regain even a bit of the form he had before.

Prediction: He will struggle for a while. The Yankees will lose patience with him, he'll eventually leave as a free agent. Then, he will sign with some scrub team like the Diamondbacks and go 19-6 with a 2.50 ERA in his age 30 or 31 season.

Yankee fans will say whatever, as Montero never panned out anyway. At least we got Campos?

Anibal was not out for 2 seasons rehabbing his shoulder. It doesn't take 2 years to recover from this surgery. Pitchers who are out of action this long are typically never heard from again. That has been the history. Even if he does make it back his mechanics will not allow for a long career. He's done.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

- Mark Twain

vCash
    Pineda will be a 7 WAR pitcher and Campos 6 WAR. They will be the two headed monster that strike fear into all opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast