Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What if we ranked championships by individual difficulty

By this I mean, dont focus so much on how they performed, just how hard it was to will their teams to success.

It should go without saying but yes, I know this is a team game and every player is important, but relatively speaking, what are the toughest chips won and why by any great.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Great question. All the years kinda run together as far as who they faced in all the rounds of the playoffs, so I will have to look that up and get back to you. But great question. I want this thread to get some attention.

vCash
    2011 Mavs

Even as a 3rd seed in the tough west, the Blazers, Lakers, Thunder, and Heat were all picked to win over them

@TheLandonThomas 4,000 followers
    @MavsFansForLife 5,000 followers
    "Do the LT" coming to a thread near you.

vCash
    As a Spurs fan, that series against Detroit. Ben Wallace/Sheed was such a brutal frontline defensively to deal with

vCash
    A sort of a homer pick to get the ball rolling. Hakeem in 95. People bellyache about MJ just coming back and the Bulls being post-Grant and pre-Rodman, which I get, but that was a uphill battle to win it all that year. First of all, it is always tough to repeat. Second of all, and JB will love this, they were the lower seed in every series they played. They played the Stockton-Malone Jazz in a 5 game series when that was the max in round 1. Then they played Barkley's Suns in round 2, came back from down 3-1, and then beat the Suns in 7 in Phoenix. Hakeem scored over 30 in all of the games after losing the first two (except 29 in the clincher, but close enough), and of course resumed his defensive anchor duties without Thorpe (who he missed big time on that end of the floor). Then they go to SA in the infamous Spurs series and Hakeem has the series of his life against the MVP. He had 3 40 point games, and 39 and 17 with 5 blocks in the clincher. Then they get Shaq and Penny in the Finals, and sweep them. Having to up against Malone, Barkley, Robinson, and Shaq all in consecutive playoff series is crazy difficult, and the spectacular way in which he did it is one of the reasons he is regarded so highly in the All-Time rankings. Dude was just money that year in the playoffs against 4 top 20 All-Time players with stacked teams that were higher seeds. Stuff of legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamShaker View Post
    A sort of a homer pick to get the ball rolling. Hakeem in 95. People bellyache about MJ just coming back and the Bulls being post-Grant and pre-Rodman, which I get, but that was a uphill battle to win it all that year. First of all, it is always tough to repeat. Second of all, and JB will love this, they were the lower seed in every series they played. They played the Stockton-Malone Jazz in a 5 game series when that was the max in round 1. Then they played Barkley's Suns in round 2, came back from down 3-1, and then beat the Suns in 7 in Phoenix. Hakeem scored over 30 in all of the games after losing the first two (except 29 in the clincher, but close enough), and of course resumed his defensive anchor duties without Thorpe (who he missed big time on that end of the floor). Then they go to SA in the infamous Spurs series and Hakeem has the series of his life against the MVP. He had 3 40 point games, and 39 and 17 with 5 blocks in the clincher. Then they get Shaq and Penny in the Finals, and sweep them. Having to up against Malone, Barkley, Robinson, and Shaq all in consecutive playoff series is crazy difficult, and the spectacular way in which he did it is one of the reasons he is regarded so highly in the All-Time rankings. Dude was just money that year in the playoffs against 4 top 20 All-Time players with stacked teams that were higher seeds. Stuff of legend.
    Good point about being the lower seed, but I didn't see 1 mention of the word "Drexler" in your post. You mention losing Thorpe, but forget to mention that he got you Drexler. Not many teams add a 21/7/4 SG with a .613 TS% at the deadline. You did beat some good teams on the way, but you were the defending champs and then added Drexler.

vCash
    The Pistons of 2004 took out a ridiculously tough Indiana team, and man handled the Lakers while being the underdog. Even after we won, fans still thought LAL was the better team. (lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisLovechild View Post
    First Tier:
    Calvin Johnson
    AJ Green
    Julio Jones
    Brandon Marshall
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Dez Bryant
    Demaryius Thomas
    Michael Crabtree

vCash
    I agree with mavs 11, pistons 04 would be a good choice except for the fact it's not what the op was asking for since they played well like a complete team instead of being willed by a particular player
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

vCash
    I think the Houston Rockets have to be one of them in 1995. I know they won the title the year before but:

They entered the playoffs as the 6th seed:

Eliminated the 3 seed, the 60-22 Jazz, in the first round on the road (3-2)
    Eliminated the 2 seed, the 59-23 Suns, in the second round on the road (4-3)
    Eliminated the 1 seed, the 62-20 Spurs, in the conference finals 4-2
    Winning the Title, by sweeping the 1 seed in the East, the Orlando Magic, who were 57-25

The worst winning percentage of the teams they eliminated was .695! They went 15-7 against these teams, on the way to their second of back-to-back championships.

That's gotta be one of the champions that had faced the most difficulty, but survived.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    Miami 2013 had to battle the Pacers and then had an epic finals series against an aggressive Spurs team.

The Lakers in 2000 when they had to take down Sacramento in the first round in a 5 game series (3-2) and Portland in 7 games in the WCF before battling Reggie in 6 games

she says go for the championship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Good point about being the lower seed, but I didn't see 1 mention of the word "Drexler" in your post. You mention losing Thorpe, but forget to mention that he got you Drexler. Not many teams add a 21/7/4 SG with a .613 TS% at the deadline. You did beat some good teams on the way, but you were the defending champs and then added Drexler.
    If you look, I was solely refering to the defensive end. Thorpe took pressure off Hakeem on that end, so he had to do even more to compensate. You are absolutely correct about Drexler, though. He was huge in the playoffs that year. But to me, that doesn't take anything away from what Hakeem did.
    Last edited by DreamShaker; 12-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.

vCash
    2004 pistons
    2011 mavs

Both heavy underdogs that still ended up winning it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    Miami 2013 had to battle the Pacers and then had an epic finals series against an aggressive Spurs team.

The Lakers in 2000 when they had to take down Sacramento in the first round in a 5 game series (3-2) and Portland in 7 games in the WCF before battling Reggie in 6 games
    The 2013 Miami team? They had a cake walk to the finals. Now the 06 ( I believe it was 06) Miami team, thats another story because I felt that Dallas had that won. One of the greatest finals perfomances ever (Wade).

vCash
    2011 Mavs seemed like they were an underdog in every series, and Dirk won with less firepower at his side than many teams haven't ever won with.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    The 2013 Miami team? They had a cake walk to the finals. Now the 06 ( I believe it was 06) Miami team, thats another story because I felt that Dallas had that won. One of the greatest finals perfomances ever (Wade).
    If you like FTs. That series marked the downfall that led to the current state of the NBWhistle.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast