Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Question..

vCash

Question..

Why do some of you care what we spend? Sure 7/153 was probably an overpay for Ellsbury but it's not coming out of any of our pockets. As long as it doesn't effect us re signing Bob I honestly don't care what we spend for FA's

Jw why some of you all seem to get so upset by overpaying

By the time Ells contract is up arod tex jeter McCann will all be off the books

RUDY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Why do some of you care what we spend? Sure 7/153 was probably an overpay for Ellsbury but it's not coming out of any of our pockets. As long as it doesn't effect us re signing Bob I honestly don't care what we spend for FA's

It's much like how the Federal Government works.. They spend our tax dollars on crap and don't care because "it's not money out of their pockets"

But in this case, it eventually does cost us... Who actually pays? You don't think that maybe the poor fans who want to take their little kids to the game but can't because the tickets cost too much might possibly be affected?

I have never gone to an MLB game, but I have on many occaisions gone to AAA games... 2 reasons..1 I have lived in or near cities that have AAA teams.. and 2. I can take my family of 6 to a game for less than $50... and thats getting something to munch on too...

The higher salaries also cause my cable bills to go up... You don't think that Yes doesn't charge your cable provider more to carry the network to pay for the right to rebroadcast do you? Of course it does...

At the same time, how would you feel if the Yanks had signed Albert Belle and he kept collecting long after he was Physically Unable to Perform due to injuries?

I personally don't like to see the Yanks overpay for guys who are playing them as fools by getting them bidding against themselves.. Too many players are way overpaid (like all of them who make more than $10 million)... Paid to play a game played by kids WHO PAY TO PLAY THE GAME while growing up.. Must be bleeping nice.

vCash

We care about the money they spend because it affects the team that we love.

We seem upset because we are. We as fans love the Yankees so we want to see them be a great team and this type of deal usually hurts the team after 3-4 years.

You seem like a Yankees fan so let me ask you this. If the Yankees went out and spent 300 million dollars this off season on players like Beltran, McCann, Ellsbury, Choo, and Cano (all 7+ years), are you seriously telling you don't care because it's not your money?

Let me make it a bit more extreme. What if we spent 300 mill this off season to get guys like Daisuke, Igawa, Jose Molina, and Phil Hughes? Would you care then? But it's not your money.

vCash

I don't care as much as some, but obviously the more NY spends the more you spend to have YES, on ticket prices, etc. Baseball is a business. No one is simply looking to throw money away. They want a profit. More costs equals higher prices.

From a fan's perspective, I am concerned that overpaying for Ellsbury may prevent us from from other important signings. There is some limit to what NY is willing to spend, whether it be the 189 million we've seen thrown around or 300 million. And regardless of what their actual limit is, I'd hope they spend it in a way to maximize the amount of talent we have.

vCash

It is not? The ticket prices will increase as will the food, merchandise and parking......In Game 1 vs the Tigers in 2011 I sat right behind the State Farm sign and just missed catching Robbie's homerun that Sat night.....my tickets for 2 were $600 and the parking in the garage was $45, now granted it was a playoff game but still........... And I almost got screwed because of the rainout on that Friday...My aunt let me skip the Wedding reception to be at the game on that Sat. I then had to watch my phone in the plane for the score in Game 2 on that Sunday as I was flying back home during the game....

But anyway, the Yankees will force the fans to help with these contracts....they always do....
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 12-05-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Nick

vCash

because if you have a budget, money you spend on one player cant be spent on others. if the yanks really don;'t care how much they spoend, i dont care, but if they actually have a budget over spending for someone is stupid
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    The other reason why the Yankees should just not worry about $189 million is the $25 million all teams are getting for the new TV deals, new found money.....I just think Hal is starting to feel the pressure of owning the New York Yankees...it just took a year like 2013 to convince him.....remember, it is not a mandate but a goal.....
    Nick

vCash
    It comes down to trust. Some see these big numbers and fear that there might not be "enough" to get done what those fans think should get done. Now, the Yankees have their own plan and that might be different from popular opinion. Should the Yankees move in a direction that some fans don't agree with, they will blame it on the money. And that's because they don't fully trust that the Yankees are actually smarter than they are being given credit for by fans and media.

Thanks JR!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    because if you have a budget, money you spend on one player cant be spent on others. if the yanks really don;'t care how much they spoend, i dont care, but if they actually have a budget over spending for someone is stupid
    The Yankees really never have a budget.....they do not need to...seriously, they crank out soooooo much money but Hal has his own profit margins he wants to hit and he does not want to pay 50 cents on every dollar over the $189 million for next season.....17.5% is obviously much softer than the 50% tax rate that will get charged to the Yankees if they go over that magic number of $189 million.....I understand it from a business sense but at the same time I also see the money his team generates and do not care about what tax rates Bud instilled on the Yankees to make MLB more competitive.....I hate parity in sports!
    Nick

vCash

I fully agree with this. I do not care one bit about how much they spend. I was fine with laying low last year and I am fine with going nuts this year.

Bottom line is that I do not go to any games in NY, so it does not affect me at all.

I also believe the trend is that a diminishing amount of people actually attend the game for the game. Its more for the new stuff these stadiums offer.

Personally, unless its a huge game, I would much rather watch it in my house.

Yet, I understand the whole 'high prices affect the average family' point.

BUt, for example, Yankee ticket prices for 2014 were set before they signed anyone.....so might as well fill the cupboard with big names now !
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash
    The team has shown that while they can spend a lot of money there is a limit. Even at the peak of their spending that limit will be 220 or so. And even though it might not be realistic they are still trying to get under the 189M. Vastly overpaying (IMO) for one guy does affect every other move whether people want to admit it or not. The team does have a limit to what they will put into the payroll.

Plus, why overpay if you don't have to? What does that really accomplish?

And obviously there won't be many contracts on the books when Ellsbury's deal is up because its a ridiculously long deal.

vCash

There are several reasons:
    1) I hate to feel like my team is so stupid that they grossly misallocate the resources that they have.
    2) Overpaying for one player will either drive up the contracts of other players that we want to sign, because those players completely understand how stupid we are
    3) Overpaying for those players could cause a serious imbalance elsewhere on the team due to budgetary constraints
    4) Don't believe for one moment that teams don't have a budget. The Yankees make $200 million from cable and $100 million from ticket sales and concessions, if they sell out the stadium. They also sponsor a lot of charities, which might not sound like much, but all those million dollar donations to the American Red Cross cost something. At a 50%, revenue sharing, they can only spend a certain amount before they operate in the red.
    5) And this is the most important...The revenue sharing and luxury tax goes to other teams who compete with the Yankees for players. The more money the Yankees are required to contribute, the more dollars the A's, Rays and other competition have to sign players that the Yankees want to sign. Think about what giving or not giving a blank check for $50 million means.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    The Yankees really never have a budget.....they do not need to...seriously, they crank out soooooo much money but Hal has his own profit margins he wants to hit and he does not want to pay 50 cents on every dollar over the $189 million for next season.....17.5% is obviously much softer than the 50% tax rate that will get charged to the Yankees if they go over that magic number of $189 million.....I understand it from a business sense but at the same time I also see the money his team generates and do not care about what tax rates Bud instilled on the Yankees to make MLB more competitive.....I hate parity in sports!
    and if the operate under that, i could not care less how much they spend. if they are trying to stick to 189, then overspending is a problem
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals