Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Our playoff scenario

Ok guys, obviously we need to win the last 4 games. It will be very difficult, but it is possible. Miami is beatable and we are at home, we play Cincinatti at home which will be very tough but still winnable, we play at Green Bay which normally would be a loss for us but I think they might rush Rodgers back, then back home to cleveland.

dolphins (6-6) 1-2 division, 5-3 conference. @ Pit, New england, @buffalo, new york.

jets (5-7) 2-3 division, 2-7 conference. Oakland, @carolina, cleveland, @miami

ravens (6-6) 3-2 division, 6-4 conference. Minnesota, @detroit, new england, @ cincinatti

steelers (5-7) 2-2 division, 4-5 conference. miami, cincinatti, @green bay, cleveland

titans (5-7) 0-4 division, 4-5 conference. @ denver, arizona, @jacksonville, houston.

chargers (5-7) 1-2 division, 3-6 conference. NYG, @denver, oakland, kansas city.

(With us winning out in mind....) Miami loses 2 out of 4.
    Jets will implode lol.
    I think Ravens lose @ detroit and or new england or cinci.
    Titans lose @ denver or Arizona
    Chargers lose 1 more game if not 3 since KC and denver might be duking for 1st/2nd round bye.

Keep in mind we haven't won 4 straight all season, and we are going up against a playoff hungry team(miami), a division leader who wants to stay that way(cinci), another team who wants to squeak in the playoffs(green bay), and a divisional rival who wants to play spoiler(cleveland).

Personally, I think with the injuries we are plagued with, we lose 2/4...but, you never know!

vCash
    Honestly we should be looking more to the state of the franchise going forward that worrying how we could remotely get into the playoffs.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

Click here to see how awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Honestly we should be looking more to the state of the franchise going forward that worrying how we could remotely get into the playoffs.
    I know, realistically we need to keep our guys healthy and build for next year but I like to keep optimistic. You just never know....9-7 Giants come to mind.

vCash
    The Velasco injury finished our season IMO

vCash
    If it's possible then it's worth talking about.

Rodgers' injury will be huge in whether or not we can beat the Packers. And that's our only away game left. Our remaining games, all at home, are Miami, Cincy and Cleveland. With the exception of Cincy, very winnable.

We still have a bit of an advantage over the Ravens. If we both finish with the same record, unless Baltimore beats Cincy while we lose to the Bengals or Browns (IE we both finish 8-8 with Baltimore losing to a combination of two of Vikings/Pats/Lions), then we have the tiebreaker over them.

So that's three difficult games for the Ravens, two of which are away. As opposed to one difficult game for us at home, two if Rodgers is playing.

Not really worried about Miami, San Diego or Tennessee. Does anyone think they can keep competing? Anyone?

Actually winning those games now that our usual slew of injuries, especially on OL, has finally hit us is a different story.

vCash
    Yea it's possible, but there is so much outside of our control that needs to go right. We just aren't fit to compete. We need to be looking to the future in that case and see what we got leaning on some younger guys. Like play Shamarko as opposed to Will Allen. Keep playing Jarvis and Jason. Lean on Wheaton and Moye a bit more.

vCash
    Looking at everything as a whole, i actually like our chances the best out of the teams vying for the 6th seed.

Now if making it is actually a good thing for our team is something completely different. As a fan i cant bring myself to NOT want Pitt in the playoffs.
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    Yea it's possible, but there is so much outside of our control that needs to go right. We just aren't fit to compete. We need to be looking to the future in that case and see what we got leaning on some younger guys. Like play Shamarko as opposed to Will Allen. Keep playing Jarvis and Jason. Lean on Wheaton and Moye a bit more.
    Not a fan of playing Jason over Woodley. I know this will cause many fans to revolt and (erroneously) blame Colbert for everything but I have a feeling we restructure Woodley again and let Worilds walk. Another Keenan Lewis. Finally getting it lateish in his career, conveniently playing extremely well during a contract year. And unlike Lewis, we don't even know how Worilds would handle do during a full season starting.

vCash
    If we restructure Woodley again his cap hit goes from $14 Million to close to $20 Million. Big mistake.

Why not see want Worilds can do lining up over the RT a few more games. He's a max $6 mil a year LB anyways.

vCash
    wait...aren't we losing our draft pick? wouldn't it make sense to win out then?

vCash
    There's no way we lose our first rounder or second

vCash
    If we restructure Woodley again his cap hit goes from $14 Million to close to $20 Million. Big mistake.

Why not see want Worilds can do lining up over the RT a few more games. He's a max $6 mil a year LB anyways.
    A few more games, sure. By all means keep him there for the rest of the regular season and, dare I say, playoffs. Doesn't mean he's being re-signed in the offseason. This isn't a tryout for Worilds to see if he can earn a new contract with us. That was his first three years. Instead of raving about how well he's done the past few games and trying to keep him, why don't we ask why he wasn't effective and couldn't develop these skills on the right side?

Then again we'll see how Woodley does on the right, if he goes there. Which he doesn't seem to think he'll do. Anyway, restructuring reduces his 2014 cap hit. Restructuring the next year reduces his 2015 cap hit. The year after that is entering his contract year. He can earn an extension which will be significantly less than the huge contract he got in 2011, when he was a 26 year old coming off three straight seasons of 10+ sacks and no injuries so far in his career (just pointing out that it's not a bad contract until someone puts on their hindsight goggles and sees the injuries he starting getting after the contract and, again, desperately and erroneously grasping at straws to criticize Colbert for something). That would reduce his overall hit. We can look at Woodley's 2012, and the injuries he's had this year (when he's played he's been good), but I'll take what has more commonly been the norm as a means of evaluating a player. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenhotness View Post
    wait...aren't we losing our draft pick? wouldn't it make sense to win out then?
    If the Jets didn't lose a pick for their coach tripping a guy, we won't lose a pick for Tomlin trying to get out of the way. Coaches and GMs will revolt.

vCash
    I actually liked the Woodley contract when signed. I thought it was good value.

But constant restructuring is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Sooner or later that cap number is going to hit us. That's the part that has me frustrated with Colbert. He keeps acting like we can keep restructuring, restructuring, restructuring. Sooner or later that's going to effect us. Essentially that's what the Raiders did and look where they are now. They have so much dead money that it hamstrung them to get it right.

The problem with restructuring Woodley the next two years is his contract year you push his cap hold to close to $22 million (I've done the math). Now at that point he will be 33 (Funny I never knew Woodley was a month younger than me). So your saying we have to then get him to take a very sub-par 3 year contract to restructure again and move that cap hit. So it again just pushes the problem to the future.

Which is why I wish we could unload Woodley, get some value from him, and move forward with Worilds and Jones. Offer Worilds a 3 year $18 mil contract, which I feel is more than fair. Make that puppy so we can cut him after year one without much of a cap hit. Then you get that one year to see if he was a contract year wonder or the real deal.

vCash
    ^
    And if Worilds doesn't work out in that one year tryout, who do we have across from Jones? This is why I don't have a problem with Colbert's restructuring. Unlike the Raiders, we actually have good players. It's paying to put out the most competitive team possible. It's not about how cheap or expensive they are, it's about winning. So would you rather have an old, expensive, but at least serviceable Woodley? ...or absolutely nothing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post
    ^
    And if Worilds doesn't work out in that one year tryout, who do we have across from Jones? This is why I don't have a problem with Colbert's restructuring. Unlike the Raiders, we actually have good players. It's paying to put out the most competitive team possible. It's not about how cheap or expensive they are, it's about winning. So would you rather have an old, expensive, but at least serviceable Woodley? ...or absolutely nothing?
    I like Woodley, I think he should stay. Injuries happen, hopefully by next year he can recover and prove himself once again.

What is your guys opinion on Jarvis Jones? Do you think he was a good pickup? He only has one sack but is that because our defensive line is not all that great? Does he make a difference (good or bad) to our defense? Why did Tomlin bench him earlier? Do you all think he is better than Worilds? Sorry for all the noob questions, I do not know as much as you guys and I respect and value your guys opinions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast