Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Veldheer,Raiders in contract talks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...lking-new-deal

Raiders left tackle Jared Veldheer returned to the lineup last week and played every snap of Oakland's Thanksgiving Day loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Set to become a free agent this offseason, Veldheer missed the first 11 games of the year with the partially torn triceps he suffered in August. The injury clouded his future with the team, but Veldheer is arguably Oakland's best offensive player -- and the Raiders plan on keeping him around.

"They're in talks right now. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about finishing the year out and playing these last four games," Veldheer told KGMZ-FM, per CSN Bay Area. "... I believe that, if I handle that and play as well as I can play, good things will follow there. I'm really hoping and I'm pretty confident that I'll continue to keep playing in Oakland."

Veldheer showed well against the Cowboys, allowing no sacks and only one hurry with rookie passer Matt McGloin under center. The injury doesn't appear to have shrunk his effectiveness.

Drafted in the third round of 2010, Veldheer's rookie deal netted him $2.685 million over four years. Healthy and clearly an ascendant player at one of the game's most critical positions, Oakland won't get him for cheap this time around.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    http://aggbot.com/Oakland-Raiders-News/article/21303786
    The Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer jus recently got back into the lineup after he suffered a torn triceps in August, but they donít want to him walking at the end of the year via free agency .

Veldheer will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season, however, the Raiders are already are taking the steps so he isnít playing anywhere but Oakland in 2014.

"Theyíre in talks right now," Veldheer said, via CSNBayArea.com.

"Iím not worried about that. Iím worried about finishing the year out and playing these last four games. I want to help this team as much as possible and to help turn that page and get going where we need to go.

I believe that, if I handle that and play as well as I can play, good things will follow there. Iím really hoping and Iím pretty confident that Iíll continue to keep playing in Oakland."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty obvious overall that we will try to resign him but its good to hear they are already working on it. Try to sign him before he can feel other offers.
    Raiders Keith McGill

PSD Mock Draft Raiders GM
    1st Anothony Barr OLB UCLA
    2nd Dominique Easley DT University of Florida
    3rd Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    4th Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
    4th Jordan Zumwalt ILB/OLB UCLA
    5th Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
    5th Richard Rodgers, TE, California
    5th Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama
    6th Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska
    7th Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
    7th Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...lking-new-deal

Raiders left tackle Jared Veldheer returned to the lineup last week and played every snap of Oakland's Thanksgiving Day loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Set to become a free agent this offseason, Veldheer missed the first 11 games of the year with the partially torn triceps he suffered in August. The injury clouded his future with the team, but Veldheer is arguably Oakland's best offensive player -- and the Raiders plan on keeping him around.

"They're in talks right now. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about finishing the year out and playing these last four games," Veldheer told KGMZ-FM, per CSN Bay Area. "... I believe that, if I handle that and play as well as I can play, good things will follow there. I'm really hoping and I'm pretty confident that I'll continue to keep playing in Oakland."

Veldheer showed well against the Cowboys, allowing no sacks and only one hurry with rookie passer Matt McGloin under center. The injury doesn't appear to have shrunk his effectiveness.

Drafted in the third round of 2010, Veldheer's rookie deal netted him $2.685 million over four years. Healthy and clearly an ascendant player at one of the game's most critical positions, Oakland won't get him for cheap this time around.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    http://aggbot.com/Oakland-Raiders-News/article/21303786
    The Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer jus recently got back into the lineup after he suffered a torn triceps in August, but they donít want to him walking at the end of the year via free agency .

Veldheer will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season, however, the Raiders are already are taking the steps so he isnít playing anywhere but Oakland in 2014.

"Theyíre in talks right now," Veldheer said, via CSNBayArea.com.

"Iím not worried about that. Iím worried about finishing the year out and playing these last four games. I want to help this team as much as possible and to help turn that page and get going where we need to go.

I believe that, if I handle that and play as well as I can play, good things will follow there. Iím really hoping and Iím pretty confident that Iíll continue to keep playing in Oakland."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty obvious overall that we will try to resign him but its good to hear they are already working on it. Try to sign him before he can feel other offers.
    This is good. He is the corner stone of our offensive line and deserves to be paid.

vCash
    Yup, sign the man ASAP.

vCash
    He is the one critical signing we have to keep here in Oakland. I think we may get a bargain on him due to his injury this year - could be a blessing in disguise. Either way we need to lock him down long term. Glad the talks have already started hopefully something comes of them.

That being said I would also like to keep Houston here - but be careful he things he is an elite DE in the NFL, however much we like him here, this is a falacy and he should not be paid such.

vCash
    While im all for signing this guy, the important speculation involves the "wont come cheap" message.IMO,
    you go big....7 years, front load the first two with bonuses to offset a savings near the end of the contract, we want to solidify the LT position, but if we are paying at market average for an elite LT then we will be in cap issues before long...again. We need to leverage him into a below market deal that progressively LOWERS.

vCash
    I totally understand SK, but a LT of that quality is one of the areas it is difficult to overcompensate. As you stated, the market dictates a very lucrative deal. Our previous troubles were very much the result of unwarranted contracts.

vCash
    I think you can overcome objection to annual average by offering a large signing bonus and extended years on the contract.5-7 years with the first two being salary and bonus combined near the top 10, but the subsequent years, should descend with disregard to average escalation. In simpler terms his salary should go down by 20% from its high even as the average top 10 goes up by 5-10%. If you offer the first two in Guaranteed bonus you can get guys to bite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    While im all for signing this guy, the important speculation involves the "wont come cheap" message.IMO,
    you go big....7 years, front load the first two with bonuses to offset a savings near the end of the contract, we want to solidify the LT position, but if we are paying at market average for an elite LT then we will be in cap issues before long...again. We need to leverage him into a below market deal that progressively LOWERS.
    I am thinking RM is going to be smart about this, SK. He simply will not get us into a situation similiar to the one he just got us out of. JV will get what he is worth, but it won't be an outrageous or crippling contract. RM's seen how not to do it, had to fix it. I am sure he knows how to do it right.

vCash
    I think you can overcome objection to annual average by offering a large signing bonus and extended years on the contract.5-7 years with the first two being salary and bonus combined near the top 10, but the subsequent years, should descend with disregard to average escalation. In simpler terms his salary should go down by 20% from its high even as the average top 10 goes up by 5-10%. If you offer the first two in Guaranteed bonus you can get guys to bite.
    Probowl incentives are a useful tool as well. I am sure RM is weighing the options, including something like what you propose.

10. 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM
    Reason
    Please post nicely about people who don't agree with you. Don't insult them. BMD deleted this, and you were quoted.

11. 12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
    Reason
    Please post nicely about people who don't agree with you. Don't insult them. BMD deleted this, and you were quoted.

vCash
    The only problem I have with ^ and ^^ is that there is no question he has value, when you allow value to walk for no return you are simply a bad businessman. If we look to draft a OT, we should STILL sign him to some kind of leveraged deal and then trade him.that becomes more difficult if he gets top 10 money.

@ Firm, your right to a certain extent, the guy was not a top 5 tackle at any period over the last 4 years, which is why you beat him down on contract and allow yourself flexibility, you don't IMO let him walk and get nothing, the best case scenario has him holding out in vain in three years because he is not making as much as his value, or he is traded for a 2nd or third.

vCash
    No one said give him outrageous money. He will make what he is worth, no more no less. Plenty others at his position will deservedly make more money than he will after this is all said and done. You don't have to set a new high in pay every time someone signs a contract. In his defense, he is a damned good LT. I don't think that is arguable and I also don't think that he over values himself, he seems to be a smart and relatively humble man.

vCash
    The only problem I have with ^ and ^^ is that there is no question he has value, when you allow value to walk for no return you are simply a bad businessman. If we look to draft a OT, we should STILL sign him to some kind of leveraged deal and then trade him.that becomes more difficult if he gets top 10 money.

@ Firm, your right to a certain extent, the guy was not a top 5 tackle at any period over the last 4 years, which is why you beat him down on contract and allow yourself flexibility, you don't IMO let him walk and get nothing, the best case scenario has him holding out in vain in three years because he is not making as much as his value, or he is traded for a 2nd or third.
    well said. I like the leverage idea

15. 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM
    Reason

vCash
    I do believe he is special Firm, the eyes and brain in my tiny skull tell me so. LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_firm_09 View Post
    If anything he owes the Oakland Raiders a refund, we can do better than Veldheer you people believe he`s special because 1 person thinks so, then it trickles down your tiny skulls lol.

No brain no gain the usual Raider Tuesday, the people who are thrilled are the same people who want Jano here for the next 10 years.
    Only a complete and total east coast douche bag would refer to those who support JV as "tiny skulls".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Renz13 View Post
    That's pretty insulting, Firm. It isn't fair to assume everyone in disagreement is so because of their vulnerability to outside influence. I get you to a good extent so I take no offense. It's just an unfair assumption.

Why attempt to do better when a very good LT, a premium position, is already had? A player of his quality at that position usually requires hefty compensation. That may be an objectionable reality to you, but one nonetheless.
    I agree. And Veldheer has managed to slow down the best of the best in just his 3rd year here. He's easily the best lineman we have and one of, if not, the best we've ever had since 2003. He's still getting better and is massive in height, strength and weight. I'm not sure how much better anyone can be than Veldheer, I can't name too many LTs better than him right now. If we let him walk, he'll end up signing with a playoff team and might shine like never before with them instead of us. No way we should let Veldheer walk unless he wants a ridiculous amount of money.

Oakland Raiders / Jason Kidd-Mavericks Fan Till Death

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast