Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheaters

vCash

Cheaters

Why do we crucify PED users and wink at other forms of deliberate cheating like using corked bats and doctoring up baseballs?

vCash
    Because cork in a bat doesn't destroy your body and set a horrible example for children.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandmikel View Post
    Why do we crucify PED users and wink at other forms of deliberate cheating like using corked bats and doctoring up baseballs?
    Sosa was ripped for his corked bat...and then was also ripped for his alleged PED use.

to me, a pitcher spitting on a ball, or scratching it is equivalent to a batter putting too much pine tar on his bat. Sure its illegal, but who gives a ****? The umpires, in game, can make a decision on both matters.

An umpire cannot make a decision on a player using PEDs, or a player using a corked bat (unless of course that bat breaks).

Also ModernDaySavage brings up an obvious point as well.

vCash
    Using controlled substances like steroids without a prescription is illegal.

As someone mentioned, PEDs are used outside the game, not in the game. You cannot be caught in-game using PEDs.

PEDs are a possible health risk.

The effects of using PEDs can be extreme. Players corked bats for decades but no one ever came close to hitting 70 HRs.

vCash
    Better question: why do we get more worked up about PEDs than domestic violence and drunk driving?

vCash
    who wanst ripped for using a corked bat?
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Better question: why do we get more worked up about PEDs than domestic violence and drunk driving?
    If MLB wants to start suspending guys for off the field activities, that would be fine with me.

But it's an apple and oranges argument. The ultimate crime you can commit in baseball is betting on the game. Why? Because it effects the outcome of the game. And without the trust of knowing what you're watching is actual competition, the game would be in trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernDaySavage View Post
    Because cork in a bat doesn't destroy your body and set a horrible example for children.
    This

vCash
    I know I for one hate when performace is enhanced. Who wants better anything when we can have ordinary?

But the answer should be, to cheat is to cheat. Doesn't matter if it is chemical or physical. Cheating is cheating and should be punished exactly the same way. Legalities are different and should be monitored and enforced by the proper law enforcement agency.

vCash
    PSD is a sports forum. Nonetheless, on the Mets forum, when KRod attacked his father-in-law, I'm sure there was a lengthy discussion on the topic. For the most part, PEDs are an ongoing story. There always is something in the news. Regardless, I'm sure most people would agree that domestic violence especially is much more important than PEDs. Drunk driving tends to be overlooked a bit unless someone is injured, and then it can become a very hot topic.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    122 players, or 14% of major leaguers have ADHD and are allowed to used stimulants. Any issue there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernDaySavage View Post

First of all I am not supporting juicers.

Secondly it is YOUR job as a PARENT to set the example not some sports figure or any other person. YOU are responsible for your kids and how they are raised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    122 players, or 14% of major leaguers have ADHD and are allowed to used stimulants. Any issue there?
    Well the majority of them get it approved my MLB so...

vCash
    Well the majority of them get it approved my MLB so...
    The players are diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall or another stimulant. MLB cannot challenge the diagnosis and therefore they have no choice.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Ravech: "What about baseball's century-long history of players using corked bats, spitballs and Vaseline-balls to cheat?"

Selig: "That's another matter entirely. Those other things may be technically 'illegal', but steroids are a million times worse. Steroids are unnatural, man-made chemicals; spit, cork and Vaseline all come from nature. Sure, maybe Gaylord Perry cheated for most of his career, got elected to the Hall of Fame, and wrote a book called Me and the Spitter: An Autobiographical Confession - available now on Amazon - but he was a lovable rogue, not some steroid-using monster. It's like the difference between alcohol and marijuana - one is fun and the other is pure evil, and you just have to accept that fact without question."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast