Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 584
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    11,044
    vCash
    1500

    Jay Cutler's new contract: 7 years, $126M

    Last edited by DamnGoat; 01-02-2014 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,422
    vCash
    1500
    Like I keep saying. Re-sign Jaysh McCutty (that's the combination of Cutler and McCown obviously) and we're almost definitely top 5 in the league in the QB position, only without needing to hand out 100 million dollar contracts

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,275
    vCash
    1500
    Has anyone come out and said, "I know exactly what Cutler wants blah blah blah!!" No, I don't think they have.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,422
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RowBTrice View Post
    Has anyone come out and said, "I know exactly what Cutler wants blah blah blah!!" No, I don't think they have.
    Actually, they kind of have. I mean, nobody has said that word for word, but people have certainly tried to use Romo's contract among other QBs to try and estimate what Cutler will be demanding.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,047
    vCash
    1800
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Biblioteca View Post
    Like I keep saying. Re-sign Jaysh McCutty (that's the combination of Cutler and McCown obviously) and we're almost definitely top 5 in the league in the QB position, only without needing to hand out 100 million dollar contracts
    I agree with this. Cutler doesn't seem like the greedy type and he obviously loves the team and guys on offense. He's seen that McCown has done a damn good job running the offense and I actually think it probably lowers his leverage a little bit. I think he'll accept 12-14 mil a year for 4-5 years with around 25 mil guaranteed. He knows we need some major re-tooling on defense and an addition or two on offense.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    348
    vCash
    1500
    WHY do you resign and guarantee him the money NOW???? Franchise him and let it play out. It's like people want Cutler long term and that's the only option. It's not. If he was really that good and or motivated by money a year under the franchise tag would prove it more so than to guarantee him money long term.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,047
    vCash
    1800
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd420 View Post
    WHY do you resign and guarantee him the money NOW???? Franchise him and let it play out. It's like people want Cutler long term and that's the only option. It's not. If he was really that good and or motivated by money a year under the franchise tag would prove it more so than to guarantee him money long term.
    For one, that one year would be guaranteed. If you franchised him twice, you probably pay more than a long term deal where you have him locked up. Do you pay Cutler around 15-17 mil for one year in guaranteed money or do you sign him long term which also gives you the flexibility to allocate the money in later years giving you opportunity to spend more money on the defense NOW. There's an argument for both sides but I probably lean towards locking him up and I do believe he'll take a nice discount as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,422
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd420 View Post
    WHY do you resign and guarantee him the money NOW???? Franchise him and let it play out. It's like people want Cutler long term and that's the only option. It's not. If he was really that good and or motivated by money a year under the franchise tag would prove it more so than to guarantee him money long term.
    You guarantee him money because this is when he's probably got the least leverage possible so this is probably the best time to get him to sign a valuable deal. Look, at this point we know what we're getting with Cutler. He's shown he can be top 10 in this system, and he'll probably sign at half the deal most top 10 QBs agree to. He's a bargain in a long-term deal.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    348
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TheBulls View Post
    For one, that one year would be guaranteed. If you franchised him twice, you probably pay more than a long term deal where you have him locked up. Do you pay Cutler around 15-17 mil for one year in guaranteed money or do you sign him long term which also gives you the flexibility to allocate the money in later years giving you opportunity to spend more money on the defense NOW. There's an argument for both sides but I probably lean towards locking him up and I do believe he'll take a nice discount as well.
    You guarantee him money because this is when he's probably got the least leverage possible so this is probably the best time to get him to sign a valuable deal. Look, at this point we know what we're getting with Cutler. He's shown he can be top 10 in this system, and he'll probably sign at half the deal most top 10 QBs agree to. He's a bargain in a long-term deal.
    Looking at McCown's numbers ... looking at Cutler's, there is not a BIG gap in production in the offense, no matter what, the guy is going to get paid regardless. My point is your going to negotiate a contract this year or next year under the franchise tag, the leverage is the same.

    So let me ask you a question, why do you think the "value" is there and calling it a bargain? Did you notice a deteriorating defense and the Bears are about to let go of Peppers to save money? There are a lot of issues with the Bears right now and the production between a Cuter or McCown at the moment does not justify the deficiencies that can be corrected on defense with the extra money.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,047
    vCash
    1800
    Well if the production between the two isn't very big in your opinion, then why franchise Jay in the first place? My thing is, if you think Jay's good enough to be franchised at 15-17 mil a year, why not just sign him long term?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,408
    vCash
    1275
    I really wish it were true DD. I guess I'm just cynical about this kind of stuff. That sounds all well and good for the fans, but when it comes to actually negotiating I doubt any of that will come to fruition. IMO he is a 15M/yr player just because of the nature of the QB position. A true hometown discount IMO would be like 10-12M/yr.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    348
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TheBulls View Post
    Well if the production between the two isn't very big in your opinion, then why franchise Jay in the first place? My thing is, if you think Jay's good enough to be franchised at 15-17 mil a year, why not just sign him long term?
    simply put, Tressman's offense and his ability to understand it as well as the multiple injuries through out Cutler's career. You don't think he'll sign a long term year deal with guaranteed money and a bonus do you? Sort of like the IRS, if you know you are going to pay the bill and there is no incentive to pay early why do you?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    11,044
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    I really wish it were true DD. I guess I'm just cynical about this kind of stuff. That sounds all well and good for the fans, but when it comes to actually negotiating I doubt any of that will come to fruition. IMO he is a 15M/yr player just because of the nature of the QB position. A true hometown discount IMO would be like 10-12M/yr.
    I'd sign him to 15m/yr...I don't have the time to dig, but people here have stated things like 20, which is just stupid talk. He'll end up signing for 12-15m/ year, and then BMarsh will get a contract extension probably.

    It's like every player has a chance to play for their childhood team. He won't take league min, but no more then 15m. It just doesn't make any sense to squabble over 10m in 4-5 years span when you sign for millions anyway and play with best team in the world.....

    Crap. Here I sit worth 30m, and I'll make 10m a year to play with my friends and play for my favorite team. I'm close to family and play for my favorite team. My dads a longtime Bears Fan and would love season tickets, how could I get those?
    Last edited by DESERTDWELLER; 12-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,458
    vCash
    1500
    Jay knows keeping Bmarsh and Shon will help elevate his career so he will take less so we can resign Marsh and extend Shon. something like 4 years 56 mil. He will be 35 when this deal is done and should set him up for a final 3-4 year contract if he plays well.


    But if it comes down to next year, Ill be picketing outside of Halas Hall for a new deal, a new contract, because Im not going anyplace.

    -Brandon Marshall


    Chicago Bears Mock Offseason Champion

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    11,044
    vCash
    1500
    Ok, ok, okay. Let's try this analogy:

    The Jags offer you 50 bucks to be a waterboy in whatever they call their stadium & get a suntan OR get paid 20 to be a WB in Soldier Field & slip-n-slide in the mud soup...

    Watcha gonna do??

    I'll snag the twenty and the bragging rights for being that goof seen hauling water in Soldier. Period.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •