Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Antonio Smith 'suspicious' of Pats

HOUSTON -- Many of Houston's defensive players left Sunday's loss to the Patriots talking about the adjustments that New England made to the Texans' plan.

The Patriots' offensive adjustments were too good at some points, in Texans defensive end Antonio Smith's estimation.

"Either teams are spying on us or scouting us," Smith told a group of reporters.

Smith said the Texans introduced new wrinkles into their defense this week. He said that even though the Texans had never done those things in prior games, which would mean they weren't on film, the Patriots knew they were coming before they happened.

"I'm very suspicious," Smith said. "I just think it will be a big coincidence if that just happened by chance. I don't know for sure, but I just know it was something that we practiced this week."

Smith would not elaborate on exactly what adjustment New England made to Houston's defense. The Texans owned a 10-point halftime lead but allowed 27 second-half points in their 34-31 loss.

"I can't tell you an example because it's G15 classified," Smith said. "It's a defensive thing that we might continue to use. ... The way, I'm trying to say it without giving it away. When you watch film of the team do something a certain way all the time no matter what team they play -- it's been 12 games played and they always did it -- and then all of a sudden it's changed? It was pretty clever and pretty suspicious."

For the sake of clarity, Smith was asked if he was saying the Patriots knew what the Texans were going to do defensively, even though those wrinkles had never appeared in games before.

"I'm saying it seemed like it," Smith said. "You can't never be for sure on anything because I ain't over there in their huddle, in their locker room, but it just felt like it."
    Despite having the worst record in the AFC, Houston's defense entered the game allowing the fewest yards in the NFL.
    After their 10th straight loss, half of them they had the lead entering the second half.. This reminds me of a game against the Dolphins last year where a Dolphins player said we were "disrespectful" for running the same running play over and over again in the 4th.

vCash
    Sour grapes

vCash
    conspiracy theorist at his best. he gives us the conspiracy but covers ALL bases by also telling us that no one could know the things they knew...oh,i get it.

vCash
    A note to Antonio s&%t for brains Smith YOU ARE 2-8 FOR A REASON. To make it look like we didn't we know what coming we played as bad as we could on D just to keep it close. Antonio still figured it out.

vCash
    I can only imagine how much BB would give to wipe out *gate. If BB was cuddly, he might get away with far worse - like they did in NO. But BB is that friggin guy you hate because he's smarter than you, and he never passes up a chance to demonstrate it.

So, like others before him, this pseudo intellect has crafted a "truth" out of lack of understanding, frustration, and the big bad boogie mans image. I hope the NFL fines him for defamation - it's about time teams and players accept that they've been beat by a greater mind then their HC.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I can only imagine how much BB would give to wipe out *gate. If BB was cuddly, he might get away with far worse - like they did in NO. But BB is that friggin guy you hate because he's smarter than you, and he never passes up a chance to demonstrate it.

So, like others before him, this pseudo intellect has crafted a "truth" out of lack of understanding, frustration, and the big bad boogie mans image. I hope the NFL fines him for defamation - it's about time teams and players accept that they've been beat by a greater mind then their HC.
    Yeah, I feel like his comments are borderline discipline worthy. Maybe that's because I'm a Pats fan who is fed up with having to hear and read that crap.

Under coach Bill Belichick, the Patriots have long been regarded as one of the best teams at making adjustments during halftime.

Belichick was asked Monday whether he had seen Smith's comments.

"Yeah, I saw them. I don't have any comment on them. That's a league matter," he said.

vCash
    LMFAO what else is new? Another player from another team a (crappy one) accuses the Patriots of doing something they shouldn't be doing. So this would be what the 10,000th time that this bull crap comes up every time the Patriots play good? I wonder if he would be saying this if he was playing the Almighty Peyton?
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

vCash
    The comments don't even make sense if you actually know what Spygate was. The tapes are useless until you sync them up with the game tape, which isn't available until after the game. It's impossible for them to help in the game the taping actually takes place.

I have to point out though that BB brought this on himself. Personally, I think Spygate made a marginal difference and the Pats were far from the only team doing it. I could go on and on about why I reach that conclusion. However, what we did was cheating and there's no way around that. If someone wants to hold a grudge against BB for it I can't argue with that. But if someone chooses to do so, you need to be consistent. You have to treat DAL's 3/4 SB run the same way since Jimmie Johnson admitted he did it to. You need to hold Mike Shanahan accountable for when he was found guilty of circumventing the cap during one of his SB years. Sean Payton needs to be damned for Bounty Gate. If you want to preach from the moral high ground go ahead. Just make sure you're unbiased. I prefer to use logic which brings me to the conclusion that none of the stuff I just mentioned really mattered much but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    That Spygate stuff will sadly never go away. Kraft would fire Belichick if they were caught spying again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    The comments don't even make sense if you actually know what Spygate was. The tapes are useless until you sync them up with the game tape, which isn't available until after the game. It's impossible for them to help in the game the taping actually takes place.

I have to point out though that BB brought this on himself. Personally, I think Spygate made a marginal difference and the Pats were far from the only team doing it. I could go on and on about why I reach that conclusion. However, what we did was cheating and there's no way around that. If someone wants to hold a grudge against BB for it I can't argue with that. But if someone chooses to do so, you need to be consistent. You have to treat DAL's 3/4 SB run the same way since Jimmie Johnson admitted he did it to. You need to hold Mike Shanahan accountable for when he was found guilty of circumventing the cap during one of his SB years. Sean Payton needs to be damned for Bounty Gate. If you want to preach from the moral high ground go ahead. Just make sure you're unbiased. I prefer to use logic which brings me to the conclusion that none of the stuff I just mentioned really mattered much but to each his own.
    Actually Shanahan did it two years in a row.

Sean Payton is getting off easy IMO.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Smith should be upset with his own coaches.

vCash
    Of course Smith later backtracked and said he was, "kidding." If this type of message has permeated throughout the Houston locker-room, then that may illustrate why they have failed so hard this season. Accepting responsibility for your own actions is a critical step toward becoming a championship level organization. Houston simply isn't there yet.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    ^that's a great point.