Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Expansion Draft: Who do you protect?

Since we all know the league wants to get to 32 teams within the next 5 years, I thought it would be fun to see which players everyone would protect, using the conditions outlined in the previous expansion draft.

Choice #1: Protect - 1 goaltender, 5 defencemen, 9 forwards
    Choice #2: Protect - 2 goaltenders, 3 defencemen, 7 forwards

Parameters:

- for teams protecting 1 goaltender, no experience required for backup to be taken

- for teams protecting 2 goaltenders, the third goalie must have 10 games this season or 25 in the previous 2 to be eligible.

- at least 1 defencemen and 2 forwards left unprotected must have appeared in 40 games this season or 70 combined in the previous 2.

Lets just use this years roster and which choices you make to protect. (Assuming Liles doesn't qualify.

vCash
    I would pick option 2 personally,

7 Forwards protected:
    Kessel
    JvR
    Lupul
    Kadri
    Kulemin
    Bolland
    Raymond

(This leaves me worried about McClement but losing Bozak or Clarkson in the draft is the hope)

3 Defence:
    Phaneuf
    Franson
    Gunnerson

(Risk with Gardiner, but Ranger and Fraser are meh.)

2 Goaltenders:
    Bernier
    Reimer

(one of them would be gone for sure if the draft took place and they were available).

vCash
    Contracts remain the same for the player we keep?

9 Forwards protected:
    Kessel
    JvR
    Lupul
    Kadri
    Kulemin
    Bolland
    Raymond
    Kulemin
    McClement

(Lose Bozak, Orr, McLaren, and Clarkson. All played 70 games the past 2 years i'm sure)

5 Defence:
    Phaneuf
    Franson
    Gunnerson
    Gardiner
    Rielly

(lose Liles and Fraser, both played more than 70 games the last 2 years. Not including this year)

1 Goaltender:
    Bernier

(lose Reimer. Mainly because i need to keep 9 forwards and 5 Dmen)
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post

9 Forwards protected:
    Kessel
    JvR
    Lupul
    Kadri
    Kulemin
    Bolland
    Raymond
    Kulemin
    McClement

(Lose Bozak, Orr, McLaren, and Clarkson. All played 70 games the past 2 years i'm sure)

5 Defence:
    Phaneuf
    Franson
    Gunnerson
    Gardiner
    Rielly

(lose Liles and Fraser, both played more than 70 games the last 2 years. Not including this year)

1 Goaltender:
    Bernier

(lose Reimer. Mainly because i need to keep 9 forwards and 5 Dmen)
    It gets tricky when Rielly becomes involved for sure, I think I'd still keep the 2 goalies though. if say this happened next year and Rielly would be eligible, I'd subsitute him for Gunner then take my chances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post

9 Forwards protected:
    Kessel
    JvR
    Lupul
    Kadri
    Kulemin
    Bolland
    Raymond
    Kulemin
    McClement
    If you don't protect Kulemin twice you can keep Reimer! Also I certainly wouldn't protect Bolland (injury, who knows how he'll recover), Raymond or McClement over Reimer FWIW.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Option 2

Forwards
    Kessel
    JVR
    Lupul
    Kadri
    Bozak
    Bolland
    Raymond

Defensemen
    Phanuef
    Rielly
    Gardiner

Goalies
    Bernier
    Reimer

It's silly to protect some of these players since they are UFA's. But I just chose the one's who may resign beforehand. Clarkson would hopefully get picked.

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

vCash
    ^ Gardiner over Franson and Gunner? Based on potential? or what's your view on the D?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    If you don't protect Kulemin twice you can keep Reimer! Also I certainly wouldn't protect Bolland (injury, who knows how he'll recover), Raymond or McClement over Reimer FWIW.
    I didn't catch that. But i don't want to lose two forward spots and two defenseman spots.

I'm not really sure the rules of this, if the contracts remain the same then i keep Reimer over some guys because he's and RFA but if i can keep McClement, Raymond, and Bolland long-term on similar deals then i choose them.

I probably change that last Kulemin to Ashton, i really like the way he plays now.

vCash
    Ashton hasn't played enough games yet to qualify and it's if the draft happened today so everyone is on their current contracts, Rielly isn't eligible yet either.

vCash
    Oh well. **** it just drop Bozak and Clarkson. Good players but i want Stastny and they take up $9+ million

vCash
    Those would be 2 of the forwards I'd leave out there for sure, the D is tough but I'd think most agree on the forwards.

vCash
    This is really interesting. I t would be in the off-season obviously. So let's say Detroit for example had their list and Alfredsson is looking to return. I'm assuming he wouldn't sign until after the expansion draft, kind of similar to what Mason Raymond woul ddo, correct?

So that would exclude Mason Raymond, right?

So then the players left go through a draft sort of like the redraft on here? Top picks in the entry draft too?

For example, Seattle picks third in the entry-draft and select, uh, who? A third liner? A bunch of left overs basically. I'm sure these teams would have to rebuild. Have to get top picks as they're not going to get stars in the "fantasy" draft.

So let's say this takes place on June 26th. Detroit saves

Pavel Datsyuk
    Henrik Zetterberg
    Johan Franzen
    Tomas Tatar
    Gustav Nyquist
    Justin Abdelkader
    Darren Helm
    Drew Miller
    Joakim Andersson

Niklas Kronwall
    Jonathan Ericsson
    Danny DeKeyser
    Jakub Kindl

Jimmy Howard

Wouldn't these teams be forced to take some non-ideal players? I'm sure our free agents would wait out before re-signing. I'm just using Detroit as an example since that's where my knowledge is. Dan Cleary, Jonas Gustavsson, Kyle Quincey and Daniel Alfredsson wait out. They'd then have the chance to select Stephen Weiss, Brendan Smith, Luke Glendening and Brian Lashoff. I honestly think that's it. And then knowing a fantasy draft is coming, I'm sure teams would keep top prospects out of the line-up for an extra year in the AHL.

I guess it's just two teams, but it sounds like teams would be stuck grabbing garbage and overpaid players. Like I said, instead of re-signing (Dion Phaneuf again for example) he'd wait it out and then re-sign so these players wouldn't even be on the list.

My point is, teams would have a way around the draft. I really think it would be less players or something. I don't know. Probably just a thread about who'd you rather keep and nothing about the fantasy draft, but this fantasy draft is interesting.

If teams did come in, I'm assuming it would be Seattle and Quebec City. Maybe they possibly go with 4 teams. Milwaukee is an interesting market if I'm not mistaken. Not sure who else. That would potentially make less saveable players.

vCash
    ^ Your correct a lot of the players available in the draft last time were garbage, and a lot of them we're traded or released shortly after. Some of the better teams could lose out on a good player or 2. Say St. Louis protects 2 goaltenders, that defense is ripe for the picking after those top 3. But the draft would take place before the entry draft so upcoming UFA's would be available to be taken and deals could be made so certain unprotected players aren't taken. The players taken in the last draft are below:

# Player Drafted from Drafted by
    1. Rick Tabaracci (G) Colorado Avalanche Columbus Blue Jackets
    2. Jamie McLennan (G) St. Louis Blues Minnesota Wild
    3. Mike Vernon (G) Florida Panthers Minnesota Wild
    4. Frederic Chabot (G) Montreal Canadiens Columbus Blue Jackets
    5. Dwayne Roloson (G) Buffalo Sabres Columbus Blue Jackets
    6. Chris Terreri (G) New Jersey Devils Minnesota Wild
    7. Sean O'Donnell (D) Los Angeles Kings Minnesota Wild
    8. Mattias Timander (D) Boston Bruins Columbus Blue Jackets
    9. Bert Robertsson (D) Edmonton Oilers Columbus Blue Jackets
    10. Curtis Leschyshyn (D) Carolina Hurricanes Minnesota Wild
    11. Tommi Rajamaki (D) Toronto Maple Leafs Columbus Blue Jackets
    12. Ladislav Benysek (D) Mighty Ducks Minnesota Wild
    13. Chris Armstrong (D) San Jose Sharks Minnesota Wild
    14. Jamie Pushor (D) Dallas Stars Columbus Blue Jackets
    15. Filip Kuba (D) Calgary Flames Minnesota Wild
    16. Lyle Odelein (D) Phoenix Coyotes Columbus Blue Jackets
    17. Radim Bicanek (D) Chicago Blackhawks Columbus Blue Jackets
    18. Oleg Orekhovsky (D) Washington Capitals Minnesota Wild
    19. Mathieu Schneider (D) New York Rangers Columbus Blue Jackets
    20. Ian Herbers (D) New York Islanders Minnesota Wild
    21. Artem Anisimov (D) Philadelphia Flyers Minnesota Wild
    22. Jonas Junkka (D) Pittsburgh Penguins Columbus Blue Jackets
    23. Geoff Sanderson (LW) Buffalo Sabres Columbus Blue Jackets
    24. Stacy Roest (C) Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Wild
    25. Darryl Laplante (C) Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Wild
    26. Turner Stevenson (RW) Montreal Canadiens Columbus Blue Jackets
    27. Scott Pellerin (LW) St. Louis Blues Minnesota Wild
    28. Robert Kron (C) Carolina Hurricanes Columbus Blue Jackets
    29. Steve Heinze (RW) Boston Bruins Columbus Blue Jackets
    30. Jim Dowd (C) Edmonton Oilers Minnesota Wild
    31. Tyler Wright (C) Pittsburgh Penguins Columbus Blue Jackets
    32. Sergei Krivokrasov (RW) Calgary Flames Minnesota Wild
    33. Jeff Nielsen (RW) Mighty Ducks Minnesota Wild
    34. Kevyn Adams (C) Toronto Maple Leafs Columbus Blue Jackets
    35. Jeff Odgers (RW) Colorado Avalanche Minnesota Wild
    36. Dmitri Subbotin (F) New York Rangers Columbus Blue Jackets
    37. Steve McKenna (F) Los Angeles Kings Minnesota Wild
    38. Dallas Drake (RW) Phoenix Coyotes Columbus Blue Jackets
    39. Bruce Gardiner (C) Tampa Bay Lightning Columbus Blue Jackets
    40. Michal Bros (F) San Jose Sharks Minnesota Wild
    41. Jo Juneau (C) Ottawa Senators Minnesota Wild
    42. Barrie Moore (LW) Washington Capitals Columbus Blue Jackets
    43. Darby Hendrickson (C) Vancouver Canucks Minnesota Wild
    44. Martin Streit (F) Philadelphia Flyers Columbus Blue Jackets
    45. Kevin Dineen (RW) Ottawa Senators Columbus Blue Jackets
    46. Jeff Daw (C) Chicago Blackhawks Minnesota Wild
    47. Jeff Williams (LW) New Jersey Devils Columbus Blue Jackets
    48. Stefan Nilsson (F) Vancouver Canucks Minnesota Wild
    49. Zac Bierk (G) Tampa Bay Lightning Minnesota Wild
    50. Sergei Luchinkin (RW) Dallas Stars Columbus Blue Jackets
    51. Cam Stewart (LW) Florida Panthers Minnesota Wild
    52. Ted Drury (C)

The Wild did take Gaborik 3rd overall in the draft so that set them ahead a little bit.

vCash
    Yes but then you factor in the players that will obviously return to their teams. Veteran UFA players aren't going to want to "re-sign" with these teams that selected them because they're going to rebuild. So if Daniel Alfredsson wanted to rejoin Detroit he wouldn't re-sign with them, potentially get drafted, and then re-sign on July 1st.

Then here's something I have no idea about personally. Say St. Louis protects Kevin Shattenkirk, Jay Bouwmeester (best defenseman thus far, actually) and Alex Pietrangelo. Can Barret Jackman even be taken? He has a full NMC. Players union could get on that. I'd honestly imagine it would be for players with no contract stipulations. So like I said, using Detroit as an example, the best they can take from us is Brendan Smith or Joakim Andersson.

I think when the league looks to expand, which might be kind of silly with markets like Florida and Phoenix out there.. they should consider four teams. I think Milwaukee, Seattle and Quebec City can handle a team. Going through this process twice if they want two more is crazy. I guess 2 teams could work. These teams would be stuck grabbing overpaid players like Stephen Weiss and David Clarkson. I ripped on the Clarkson signing, I was not wrong, but Weiss has been much worse. Karma I suppose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Yes but then you factor in the players that will obviously return to their teams. Veteran UFA players aren't going to want to "re-sign" with these teams that selected them because they're going to rebuild. So if Daniel Alfredsson wanted to rejoin Detroit he wouldn't re-sign with them, potentially get drafted, and then re-sign on July 1st.

Then here's something I have no idea about personally. Say St. Louis protects Kevin Shattenkirk, Jay Bouwmeester (best defenseman thus far, actually) and Alex Pietrangelo. Can Barret Jackman even be taken? He has a full NMC. Players union could get on that. I'd honestly imagine it would be for players with no contract stipulations. So like I said, using Detroit as an example, the best they can take from us is Brendan Smith or Joakim Andersson.

I think when the league looks to expand, which might be kind of silly with markets like Florida and Phoenix out there.. they should consider four teams. I think Milwaukee, Seattle and Quebec City can handle a team. Going through this process twice if they want two more is crazy. I guess 2 teams could work. These teams would be stuck grabbing overpaid players like Stephen Weiss and David Clarkson. I ripped on the Clarkson signing, I was not wrong, but Weiss has been much worse. Karma I suppose.
    I would assume NMC players could be taken otherwise teams could protect everyone else and then keep their whole teams. I get what your saying about Alfie but that is the risk that Columbus and Minnesota took last time, a few guys did leave for free agency and sign with better teams. I think if the league expanded with 4 new teams you would be able to protect fewer players or else those teams would be complete crap. Detroit would be in great shape either way as their prospect pool could easily replace the scraps left over.