Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    19,910
    vCash
    1500

    Potential Goalie Controversy Brewing?

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ran...espnapi_public

    NEW YORK -- Last week, we saw Alain Vigneault quickly stifle any potential of a goaltending controversy.

    After Saturday’s 5-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks? Not so much.

    Asked if he would consider returning Monday to backup netminder Cam Talbot, who recorded his first win at Madison Square Garden following a stellar 35-save performance, Vigneault did not refute the possibility.

    Instead, the New York Rangers' coach said he had already decided on a starter for Monday’s match against the Winnipeg Jets, but had yet to inform his two goaltenders.

    Vigneault didn't want to tip his hand just yet.

    When pressed further about a potential scenario in which the 26-year-old Talbot could play so well that it would force Vigneault’s hand, the coach politely tabled the query.

    “We’ll get to that on Monday,” he said as he strode away from the lectern following his postgame news conference.

    Though it still seems likely that starting goaltender Henrik Lundqvist will get the start Monday, especially considering the team has two days off before hosting the lowly Buffalo Sabres on Thursday, it was an interesting decision by Vigneault not to disclose who will get the nod.

    Could he be trying to motivate Lundqvist?

    It's true, the former Vezina Trophy winner got off to a rocky start this season, but he has played much better of late. Yet the Rangers have played extremely well in front of Talbot, whose steadiness and poise far surpass his experience.

    Saturday’s effort was a career-high for the former University of Alabama-Huntsville standout. He has recorded six straight wins and has yet to surrender more than two goals in his first seven career starts, a first in franchise history.

    For some historical perspective, Talbot is the first Rangers goaltender to record six straight wins in his first year with the team in more than 70 years. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last person to do it was Jim Henry (seven wins) in the 1941-42 season.

    Again, it stands to reason that Lundqvist will be between the pipes against the Jets on Monday.

    If he’s not, though, buckle up.
    I found this intriguing although it's probably overstated and more media driven than anything else, neither has any of it come to pass yet. Is this just a possible tactic to motivate Lundqvist? Or are they just that impressed with Talbot?

    I know he's only had 6 starts but he's looked fantastic so far and with Lundqvist hitting FA at the end of the year, it brings up something that could potentially get very interesting.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-01-2013 at 08:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    16,839
    vCash
    5000
    please don't let this turn into a lowball offer for Lundqvist

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    please don't let this turn into a lowball offer for Lundqvist
    If Cam plays this well for the rest of the year don't be shocked of they let him walk. Truth is the cap is going back up and "if" they cut Richards it would give them lots of $$ to resign some FA's and sign at least one big player if not 2. Having another top level scorer and an offensive d man sounds enticing. Pre cap era this is a non issue in today's game it has to be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    avenel nj
    Posts
    146
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr View Post
    If Cam plays this well for the rest of the year don't be shocked of they let him walk. Truth is the cap is going back up and "if" they cut Richards it would give them lots of $$ to resign some FA's and sign at least one big player if not 2. Having another top level scorer and an offensive d man sounds enticing. Pre cap era this is a non issue in today's game it has to be.
    Letting Hank walk is one of the biggest mistakes we could make if we do who backs up Talbot? Also if you trade Hank you instantly make that team a playoff or Stanley cup contender.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead54 View Post
    Letting Hank walk is one of the biggest mistakes we could make if we do who backs up Talbot? Also if you trade Hank you instantly make that team a playoff or Stanley cup contender.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. But I can see both sides of the coin. He will be 32 and not that he is bad by any means but $$$ and length of the deal comes into play if Cam can continue to play at that level it will be interesting. Not many other GM's would have let this man guys come up for deals in one year. But if he plays well and our biggest issue is still scoring and you can add more scoring with that money the decision will be tough.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,243
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not even going to entertain this thought yet, need to see a lot more from Talbot to decide to let one of the best walk..

    But if he continues to play like he has, I think it will be all up to Henrik. If he is looking to break the bank, I wouldn't be surprised if we let him go. If he at least takes a slightly team-friendly approach, we would likely see this tandem for a while.

    Would also say a lot of this depends on how some of the forwards develop. If the FO feels there has been enough development, or even that there could be more steps forward on the offensive end, might make it easier to fork over the cash to Hank. If we can't win with the scoring we get, then maybe you move in another direction?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    19,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I'm not even going to entertain this thought yet, need to see a lot more from Talbot to decide to let one of the best walk..

    But if he continues to play like he has, I think it will be all up to Henrik. If he is looking to break the bank, I wouldn't be surprised if we let him go. If he at least takes a slightly team-friendly approach, we would likely see this tandem for a while.

    Would also say a lot of this depends on how some of the forwards develop. If the FO feels there has been enough development, or even that there could be more steps forward on the offensive end, might make it easier to fork over the cash to Hank. If we can't win with the scoring we get, then maybe you move in another direction?
    If he wants to win here and keep a solid group around him, he can't go for max dollars. If Talbot plays 25 games this season and continues to impress, then I think Henrik loses some leverage in his negotiations as great as Lundqvist has been. It's premature to say the least but the Rangers have I believe 17 guys in UFA and RFA next season, including a big but obvious decision on Richards.

    I am on the fence because I think Talbot has the makings of a solid goaltender and this team has needs in other places that both Richard's and Henrik's money can address. That said, if the King is willing to sign a more team friendly deal, where he is still richly compensated, then of course bring him back.

    I mean the one consistent thing is their defense in front of either goaltender and the personnel is solid enough that both goaltenders should benefit greatly as Lundqvist has in the past and Talbot has to some extent presently.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-01-2013 at 02:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,805
    vCash
    1500
    I do not think Slats would just let Hank walk because he is a huge asset. Hank will either be re-signed or traded for a nice package. No reason to let him go for nothing. Hank has been great but so far this season Can has been equal or better so in a contract year this kind of talk is normal.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    Talbot needs to play multiple games in a row to see if he's a starter or a good backup. If he is legit I vote to trade Hank not because I have anything against him but I have a problem paying a goalie 8.5 million for the next 8 years if we have a goalie here that can do the job for an 1/8 of that. The package we could receive could set this team up for a stanley cup run, that is if Talbot is the real deal. The most convincing thing I saw out of Talbot was his confidence handling the puck, he looks really comfortable in that net.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Talbot needs to play multiple games in a row to see if he's a starter or a good backup. If he is legit I vote to trade Hank not because I have anything against him but I have a problem paying a goalie 8.5 million for the next 8 years if we have a goalie here that can do the job for an 1/8 of that. The package we could receive could set this team up for a stanley cup run, that is if Talbot is the real deal. The most convincing thing I saw out of Talbot was his confidence handling the puck, he looks really comfortable in that net.
    The kid has excelled at every level after going undrafted out of Huntsville AL. He played in the echl under Neil Smith until he got called up to AHL. Even Neil said he knew the kid was good.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr:27517437
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Talbot needs to play multiple games in a row to see if he's a starter or a good backup. If he is legit I vote to trade Hank not because I have anything against him but I have a problem paying a goalie 8.5 million for the next 8 years if we have a goalie here that can do the job for an 1/8 of that. The package we could receive could set this team up for a stanley cup run, that is if Talbot is the real deal. The most convincing thing I saw out of Talbot was his confidence handling the puck, he looks really comfortable in that net.
    The kid has excelled at every level after going undrafted out of Huntsville AL. He played in the echl under Neil Smith until he got called up to AHL. Even Neil said he knew the kid was good.
    Ya he looks great and its nice having someone who plays the puck well but I'd like to know if he was Marty Brodeur or Marty Biron before trading Hank away.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Ya he looks great and its nice having someone who plays the puck well but I'd like to know if he was Marty Brodeur or Marty Biron before trading Hank away.
    I agree 100%. But I also agree with what you said about the $$$ even if the kid doesn't become a #1. Hank at 8/8 will totally hamper this team from taking the next step.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr:27517654
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Ya he looks great and its nice having someone who plays the puck well but I'd like to know if he was Marty Brodeur or Marty Biron before trading Hank away.
    I agree 100%. But I also agree with what you said about the $$$ even if the kid doesn't become a #1. Hank at 8/8 will totally hamper this team from taking the next step.
    Its tough since we havent drafted any real good prospect goalies. If Talbot shows a weakness and starts to tank and we trade hendrik away then we really have nobody to play goal. Maybe a team like Anaheim would send one of their goalies and a player back in a deal if we went that route but outside of that we need to know if talbot can be a #1 before we deal. 8/8 is tough though, it eliminates a really good forward on your team.

    Talbot should get lots of opportunities this year being an Olympic year and Hank being the startee for Sweden, he will need some be rest.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    249
    vCash
    1500
    Remember, playoff hockey is a LOT different too. I am all for trading Hank to get a couple of bigger (heights), top 6 offensive players. But Talbot is still learning and still not under the same pressures. Please you just dont trade away a HOF Goalie for your franchise. It's hard.
    - Yeah....I might need to change this soon.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    19,910
    vCash
    1500
    Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 10m
    #NYR Talbot appears to be likely starter for tonight. Coming off career-high 35-save effort Saturday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •