Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cano signs with Mariners 10/240

Robinson Cano requested a nine-year deal in the $250-$260MM range in his most recent offer to the Yankees, a source tells Ken Davidoff of the New York Post. The offer came in a meeting last week.

The Yankees have reportedly offered Cano a deal in the range of seven years and $168MM, which Davidoff notes would still make the second baseman among the highest-paid players in baseball. In addition, a second source says the much-discussed 10-year, $310MM offer floated by Cano's camp hasn't been in play since Cano became a free agent. Nevertheless, the two sides presently appear to be approximately $100MM apart. The Yankees are scheduled to meet again with Cano, who is represented by Jay-Z and CAA's Brodie Van Wagenen, on Monday.

Davidoff writes that the Yankees maintain they won't wait for Cano as they hold discussions with free agents such as Carlos Beltran, Shin-Soo Choo, Jacoby Ellsbury and Stephen Drew. The team also remains interested in Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. If the Yankees hit their budget limit without signing Cano, club officials say, they'll either move on or force Cano to agree to a much smaller deal than what's now under discussion.

Other potential destinations include the Tigers, the Mariners, the Rangers and the Nationals, and the Mets have met with Cano's representatives, Davidoff writes. However, he adds that no teams have publicly indicated significant interest in the infielder.

Per MLB Trade Rumors

We remember...

vCash

Cano seeking 9 years, 250 million.

Better than 310

RUDY

vCash
    Thats still more than the 10 years $250M Albert Pujols got. *Sigh* I really hope the Yankees allocate that money to Masohiro Tanaka, Omar Infante and/or (Aaron Hill). Seriously Lol, I think their original $168M offer was very fair.

vCash
    It's just another part of the negotiations and nothing more. I doubt any team hands him a contract like that.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    Has to be under 200 million there is no way in hell he's worth 200. I think something around 160-170 is an overpayment but fair enough.

vCash
    Cano is my favorite player, but the more I think about 9 or 10 years, the more absurd it sounds. That being said, we simply cannot let him go anywhere else.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nr19 View Post
    Has to be under 200 million there is no way in hell he's worth 200. I think something around 160-170 is an overpayment but fair enough.
    If McCann is worth 85, Cano is absolutely worth 160.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    I think McCann is worth more than 85 and that contract will be a steal down the line. Seven years $168MM still has a lot chance to backfire. Cano will be paid $24MM+ annually for his ages, 31,32,33,34,35,36,37 seasons. 168MM is still an overpay but understandable, but I still like the McCann deal more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    Thats still more than the 10 years $250M Albert Pujols got. *Sigh* I really hope the Yankees allocate that money to Masohiro Tanaka, Omar Infante and/or (Aaron Hill). Seriously Lol, I think their original $168M offer was very fair.
    Aaron Hill is not a FA. The Yankees could always deal for Brandon Phillips, although he has continually regressed the past couple of seasons. Infante is not a bad signing but I really doubt Cano goes anywhere besides back to the Yankees.

You don't ever hear any other teams being mentioned and aside from the Cubs or the Mariners, I don't see any darkhorses.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-01-2013 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Aaron Hill is not a FA. The Yankees could always deal for Brandon Phillips, although he has continually regressed the past couple of seasons. Infante is not a bad signing but I really doubt Cano goes anywhere besides back to the Yankees.

You don't ever hear any other teams being mentioned and aside from the Cubs or the Mariners, I don't see any darkhorses.
    Last time I ever trust rotoworld. They are SO OUTDATED. At Aaron Hill's profile page under "contract details" it says Free agent for 2014. For the record his three year $35 million dollar extension was a steal.
    Last edited by xabial; 12-01-2013 at 03:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    He will get 8/189

They will never give in to option years of 9 and 10

2014 $20 million
    2015 $22 million
    2016 $25 million
    2017 $28 million
    2018 $27 million
    2019 $25 million
    2020 $22 million
    2021 $20 million
    Nick

vCash
    Cano isn't in a great place as far as leverage is concerned, in my opinion. Most of the usual big market players are either set at second base (Boston and Detroit being examples), have more pressing concerns (like the Angels quest for starting pitching), or aren't in a win now position (like the Chicago teams). And given how public his asking price is he's priced himself out of a lot of the "dark horse" teams' budgets. That really only leaves the Yankees as the team that has both the need and financial flexibility to give him a big pay day.

I wrote a post in another Cano thread trying to estimate Cano's market value using Pedroia's extension as a baseline for the market for an elite second baseman and a (rudimentary) projection system for Cano's future performance and came to 8 years and about $169M as a "fair market value" deal for Cano. You could play with the years a bit which would impact the total value but in general something between $170-180M is a fair deal and probably what Cano will wind up with at the end of it all.

If I were the Yankees, I'd take a hard look at Infante. If $189M wasn't a concern I'd bring him in no question, but as it is I wouldn't spendb too much on him to the point it would be detrimental to upgrading the rotation and bringing in an OF like Beltran or Granderson (this is assuming they bring back Cano as well). The reason I like bringing in Infante (especially before Cano) is that he fits every scenario. He could replace Cano (though on a straight one to one comparison he's a tremendous downgrade) thus increasing our leverage with Cano, if Cano comes back and Arod is suspended for all or a significant part of the season Infante would be a very solid replacement at third, and lastly if both Arod and Cano are in the fold for the entire season Infante could serve in a super utility role. He has experience at second, short, third, and in the outfield and could easily spell Teix at first as well. With so many aging players needing days off and DH days he could still end up with near starter playing time and that versatility would greatly help keep the roster fresh as well as provide pretty good insurance in the case of injury. His market price will probably price him out of a utility man role (again assuming the $189M budget) and there's certainly cheaper options at third should Arod need to be replaced (Reynolds and Chavez for example), but at the very least flirting with Infante makes sense add he improves leverage with Cano and fits the team in multiple ways.

vCash
    He'll end up re-signing for 8 years $200 million IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    All these numbers are making me sick...

I still say offer him a 5-6 year deal, no more. the supposed 170M or whatever we offered is already too much. I know that is "market value", but we may be bidding against ourselves. If players use other teams to leverage money from teams, then we should do the same. Cano is showing no loyalty to the team whatsoever, as far as we know, so why do him any favors? This is why I say sign Infante, move along with other plans, and either make him blink first, or let him go elsewhere, get other offers, and come back. In the end, he is still going to give us a chance to overpay him anyways..

vCash
    This is where the Dodgers jump in and offer 105/3.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast