Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Woj: Chicago and Houston top Carmelo's free agent wish list (Post #832)

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baske...o-anthony.html

Bulls could be solution for self-centered Carmelo Anthony

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter November 30, 2013 12:48AM

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketba ... thony.html

New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony has yet to take any definitive responsibility — with his comments or his actions — for his team’s horrific start. And is anyone really surprised?

He held the Denver Nuggets hostage until they traded him — a move that made the Nuggets better — and since arriving in New York in 2011, he has demanded that Nuggets castoffs J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin be at his side.

Anthony is another example of a talented player who wants elite money and status to the point where a team can’t afford to put the right pieces around him. He’ll have a chance to opt out this summer, leaving the Knicks in luxury-tax hell and without a first-round pick — basically in NBA ruin.

If the talented forward were smart, his next move would be very simple: Pick up the phone at the end of the season and call Bulls general manager Gar Forman.

There would be salary, there would be talent around him, and most important, there would be a coach in Tom Thibodeau who would demand that Anthony start playing winning team basketball on both ends of the court.

If Anthony is serious about chasing a ring, it starts with sacrificing some ego.

Best guess, though, is that he chooses the Los Angeles Lakers and underachieving playoff runs.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    honestly what is stopping the bulls from signing him this summer??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Rose1118 View Post
    honestly what is stopping the bulls from signing him this summer??
    Maybe Carmleo not wanting to come here? I'd say that's the most likely reason.

S. Marbury - L. Hughes - S. Marion - M. Fizer - T. Chandler
    K. Hinrich - D. Songalia

'00 - '03 = 67-179 (Kirk + Dunleavy + Tyson)
    '03 - '04 = 41-41 (9th Seed - Heartbreaker..)
    '04 - '05 = 40-42 (8th Seed - 1st Round Exit)
    '05 - '06 = 43-39 (8th Seed - Disappointing..)

4-Time Sim League Champion!

vCash
    Or our whole zero/limited cap space issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbrentg View Post
    Or our whole zero/limited cap space issue.
    Yup, that too

S. Marbury - L. Hughes - S. Marion - M. Fizer - T. Chandler
    K. Hinrich - D. Songalia

'00 - '03 = 67-179 (Kirk + Dunleavy + Tyson)
    '03 - '04 = 41-41 (9th Seed - Heartbreaker..)
    '04 - '05 = 40-42 (8th Seed - 1st Round Exit)
    '05 - '06 = 43-39 (8th Seed - Disappointing..)

4-Time Sim League Champion!

vCash
    Even if we create the cap space I can't see it ever happening. The debate goes on as to why, but star type players just don't want to sign in Chicago. We try, we fail time and time again. Even though he is a ball hog gunner the talent of Anthony is unquestionable. I think he has the ability to play good defense, especially in Thibs system. He is a guy who must be double teamed, can create his own shot anytime, and has shown to be good in clutch situations. If Thibs could get him to play a team game on the offense and at least defer some, if Rose was healthy you have your 1 and 1A. Jo, Taj, and Jimmy with Rose and Anthony you have one hell of a starting 5.

If we amnesty Boozer, let Deng walk, and drop every other guy not committed to how much money would we have? Could we sign Anthony and fill out the roster with vet min players like the Heat? We may have 2 first round picks and there is the Mirotic thing, but what is exactly possible?

Then again, if you throw all eggs in the Carmelo basket you will probably be dissapointed because I still think he has no interest in signing with us, like all other top tier FA when they pass us over.

vCash
    I hate the way Carmelo plays but the more I think about it, I believe it could work. I don't know how we could get him though. We have nothing the NYK would want in a trade and we have no cap space.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelb2254 View Post
    I hate the way Carmelo plays but the more I think about it, I believe it could work. I don't know how we could get him though. We have nothing the NYK would want in a trade and we have no cap space.
    MEH on Melo, if it were possible to put all your eggs in 1 FA basket I would only do it for Lebron in the next 2 summers.

vCash
    I wouldn't have an issue with going after him in FA. We'll have to let go of Deng (probably happening anyway), amnesty Boozer & trade Taj for it to even be a possibility though. So it'd be nice to have some kind of assurance that he'll come here before doing any of that.

I'm the biggest Melo fan in the world, but I think Thibs would get the most out of him and we'd at least not be completely screwed if/when Rose gets hurt again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I wouldn't have an issue with going after him in FA. We'll have to let go of Deng (probably happening anyway), amnesty Boozer & trade Taj for it to even be a possibility though. So it'd be nice to have some kind of assurance that he'll come here before doing any of that.

I'm the biggest Melo fan in the world, but I think Thibs would get the most out of him and we'd at least not be completely screwed if/when Rose gets hurt again.
    Even though I'd be "All In" for Lebron if he opted out I have to admit of the two Melo might be more possible however remote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    Even if we create the cap space I can't see it ever happening. The debate goes on as to why, but star type players just don't want to sign in Chicago. We try, we fail time and time again.
    I honestly can't recall these "time and time again" failures over the past 10+ years. How many times have we actually gone into free agency in recent years with enough cap space for a star contract? 2010 (LeBron and co.) and 2000 (T-Mac and co.) are the ones that come to mind. In 2006 we landed the top target (Ben Wallace), and in 2010 we still landed an upper tier All-Star (Boozer).

Now if we're talking about the Pau Gasol and Kevin Garnett trades that could have been, wishing that we had cleared more cap space at different times, or that we re-signed certain guys that we shouldn't, then that makes more sense to me.

Plus it's not like any certain franchise is gobbling up free agents year after year. It's a crap shoot much of the time based on changing variables (cap space, friendships, contending status, personalities, etc.). I just don't see us being some forbidden place for free agents. There's also been LaMarcus Aldridge, Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant, etc. on record of wanting to play here as well.

If we amnesty Boozer, let Deng walk, and drop every other guy not committed to how much money would we have? Could we sign Anthony and fill out the roster with vet min players like the Heat? We may have 2 first round picks and there is the Mirotic thing, but what is exactly possible?
    I posted a thread on this.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...Offseason-Plan

The only way we can bring in Anthony is to either dump other contracts (Taj, Noah, Dunleavy, etc.) while letting Deng walk and amnestying Boozer, or make some kind of deal for him before the deadline and hope he re-signs. Unless he's willing to sign for less that $9M/year, which I highly doubt.

vCash
    ChiTown is w/o a doubt the best scenario for Melo. Obvs Deng would not be resigned, Boozer would be amnestied. But would that even be enough to sign him financially?
    Top 10 Rappers Right Now
    1. Nas
    2. Kendrick Lamar
    3. Jay-Z
    4. J Cole
    5. Lupe Fiasco
    6. Common
    7. Eminem
    8. Kanye West
    9. Pusha-T
    10. Slaughterhouse (Royce, Crooked I, Joe Budden)

Top 10 Rappers of all-time
    1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Rakim
    4. Notorious B.I.G.
    5. Jay-Z
    6. Eminem
    7. KRS-One
    8. Public Enemy (Chuck D)
    9. Common
    10. Ice Cube

Follow me, @bharjan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    Even though I'd be "All In" for Lebron if he opted out I have to admit of the two Melo might be more possible however remote.
    Whether LeBron opts out or not, I think he'll just stay in Miami. He has no reason at all to leave such a good situation. Even if Bosh leaves or Wade continues to decline, it won't be hard to lure another star down there (compared to somewhere like Cleveland). I really don't see a better situation for him TBH.

But as far as Melo goes, he'd have to want to come here and make it known before the Bulls even consider pursuing him. If he does want to come here, then IMO he's well worth the risk. I don't know who we can get in the near future that's realistically better without giving up major assets.

Rose
    Butler
    Melo
    Mirotic
    Noah

That's a nice starting 5 with Snell off the bench (and I'm sure Kirk would come back) and it shouldn't be hard to fill out the bench with ring chasers & a couple draft picks from a loaded draft class.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 11-30-2013 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    Well like Brent noted in his plan a whole lot of dominoes would have to fall our way. KC was on tonight's per game and pretty much speculated the FO will stay the with this core all season long. So I am not sure how this will develop in the offseason.

vCash
    Sorry but for the experts here could a sign/trade be possible with NY.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast