Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lightbulb So... Alex Steen is a UFA this year

Will be 30 years old.

Last contract was a 4 year $13.45 million deal, where he averaged about 20 goals 30 assists. And now (in just 24 games) has put up 20 goals and 10 assists for 30 points.

Assuming he makes it to UFA status, would you make an offer? Seeing as the cap is tight now... do you move hell on earth to bring him back (ie. buyout Liles, [enter big caphit here]) or do you pass on him thinking he will regress and is this season is just an aberration.

Steen is one of my favourite past Leaf players and if it weren't for Bozak's deal (, sorry Bozak) i would love to bring him back. But for me Dion is a bigger priority. With the news of the NHL getting $5.2 billion from Rogers over the next 12 years, there's hope that the cap could rise a lot higher than people thought this offseason.

What say you?

LW/C
    6'1''
    212 lbs

Assets: Excels in a defensive role and is underrated offensively. Much like his father Thomas, he owns excellent on-ice awareness and hockey sense. Possesses two-way ability and is very creative. A good skater, he has upped his intensity when fighting through opponents' physical play.
    Flaws: Still lacks some game-to-game consistency in the offensive zone from time to time. Can go through big dry spells in the goal-scoring department. When shooting, he has to hit the net with more regularity in order to put more points on the board regularly.

vCash
    He was one of my favourite leafs too, and I would make an offer to him. For me, he's similar to Lupul except he stays healthier. Unfortunately we can't afford him but I'd love to have him back.

vCash

So... Alex Steen is a UFA this year

Dont care personally. I like Steen but after this season, if he maintains this drive, hes going to command way too much and end up being what he is. 4 million dollar player at best. Nostalgia doesnt get you playoffs.

vCash
    I think he goes back to his former play. Similar to a Ryan Kesler. 50ish points, and a great two-way forward and second line center. No cap space for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I think he goes back to his former play. Similar to a Ryan Kesler. 50ish points, and a great two-way forward and second line center. No cap space for him.
    nailed it with the comparison.

Hes going to regress and if not this year than its only one hot year. He's ideally what we want out of Bozak

vCash
    yea this is a fluke, i don't ever remember a guy just busting out like this and keeping it up for the rest of his career.

I never cared for him much while he was here, IMO he's a 2nd/3rd liner and we have to many of those guys already.

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

vCash
    No thanks.

vCash

So... Alex Steen is a UFA this year

This is your ideal case of a free agent you want to stay away from. Contract year, huge numbers. He'll demand like 5-6 M per year, whereas realistically, he's at best a good 2nd liner worth 4M at most. Steens a good player both ways, and he's a solid role player who will be asking for core player money. Stay away.

vCash
    I'll take him all day long at 4 million. All day. But like you guys, I expect him to come back to earth later on this season and next season for sure. He's a hell of a player though. Hell of a player. Again, at 4 mill you ink the contract but he'll be looking 5 plus and we can't do that.

vCash
    I don't expect Steen to ask for core player money but i'm 99.9% sure he ends up in Winnipeg(who offer him that). IIRC he donated $1 million to a children's hospital there and must have interest in going there and being that big name guy on that team.

Steen plays a great game and if Bozak wasn't here i'd offer him max $5.25 million to play that 2nd line C, if Clarkson wasn't here i'd pay him to play 2nd line W. Have Kadri as the other top-6 C, and the wingers don't even matter because anyone can play that top-line. Steen is a player that Carlyle would love because he plays a sound system game, something that is proving to be difficult for this roster to understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I don't expect Steen to ask for core player money but i'm 99.9% sure he ends up in Winnipeg(who offer him that). IIRC he donated $1 million to a children's hospital there and must have interest in going there and being that big name guy on that team.

Steen plays a great game and if Bozak wasn't here i'd offer him max $5.25 million to play that 2nd line C, if Clarkson wasn't here i'd pay him to play 2nd line W. Have Kadri as the other top-6 C, and the wingers don't even matter because anyone can play that top-line. Steen is a player that Carlyle would love because he plays a sound system game, something that is proving to be difficult for this roster to understand.
    He was born there was he not? I think when his dad was playing on the Jets he lived there so I could definitely see him going back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    He was born there was he not? I think when his dad was playing on the Jets he lived there so I could definitely see him going back.
    not sure, but it sounds about right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    yea this is a fluke, i don't ever remember a guy just busting out like this and keeping it up for the rest of his career.

I never cared for him much while he was here, IMO he's a 2nd/3rd liner and we have to many of those guys already.
    This guy busted out around age 28-29 and turned out well..... Just saying, it can happen.

I have always been a big fan of Steen, but I doubt he will be winning scoring titles year in adn year out. Would I take him on the Leafs? any day. But it would have to be about 4 million a year or so.

vCash
    Here's an interesting question.

The contract we gave to Clarkson, would you rather give that to Steen or Clarkson?

vCash
    Is there an option C? lol I do think Steen will get at least that much, but that's a tough one.. I'd still take Clarkson for the leadership in the playoffs and when healthy, we have lots of scoring up front already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast