Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Giants re-sign Ryan Vogelsong

Just like I had predicted, it looks like the fifth starter job is going to come down to Vogelsong and Petit. Inspiring stuff! Though I do have a little more faith than most that he can get his 2011-2012 form somewhat back.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...-vogelson.html
    I Will Eat Your Children.

vCash
    How truly sad. Added one pitcher, that's it. I guess getting a ring in 2014 is gonna be harder.

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

vCash
    I hope, somehow, someway, this falls apart or isn't true. It's just asinine to come into the season with just ONE upgrade to the rotation after saying the pitching was a priority. If this comes true, then it totally makes sense to gamble on two question marks (Lincecum/Vogelsong) to regain form. That's the way to improve the ball club after seeing the already strong Dodgers add another quality pitcher.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    ....but we're gonna acquire a right handed hitting LF that might get 200 AB's!

vCash
    wow, if true, this is very disappointing...and even if this were a depth move, we're most likely not going to sign anyone superior to Vogelsong

Sitting On Top of the Pedestal!!!!
    TEAMS: SF GIANTS/GS WARRIORS/NL ARSENAL/SF NINERS/ HI WARRIORS

vCash
    and he better get paid chump change that's less than 4 mil so we can sign someone legit to play LF

Sitting On Top of the Pedestal!!!!
    TEAMS: SF GIANTS/GS WARRIORS/NL ARSENAL/SF NINERS/ HI WARRIORS

vCash
    If this comes with Jacoby Ellsbury (Which it won't) then I'll be okay with it.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4GiantWarrior9 View Post
    wow, if true, this is very disappointing...and even if this were a depth move, we're most likely not going to sign anyone superior to Vogelsong
    Ha. I take it you didn't see the earlier quotes from Sabean about now wanton to insult Vogey by signing someone to compete with him for a rotation spot. Good ole' emotional Sabean; more concsrned with hurting players feelings than fielding the best team possible.

vCash
    A lot of you were saying they should have picked up his option, that was worth like 5 mill, they likely aren't paying him that much, many of you got your wish at a discount.

The problem is the other moves or lack there of. I am no Sabean apologist, but of the players capable of being an upgrade in the OF, they all either cost a pick or would have to be traded for, Rasmus for instance. In some regards improving the OF keeps the minor league system barren for even longer. I think they have the means to put together another championship caliber team, but it's going to start to unravel really soon anyway, the smart thing to do if Sabean wants to continue to compete come 2017, 2018 etc is keep the picks, keep the prospects and find a bargain somewhere.
    Last edited by ciaban; 11-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.

vCash
    Even if Vogelsong is healthy, we can expect somewhere between 2011-2012 and 2013. Sure, there a few starting pitchers available that would be an upgrade, but probably too small to warrant the incremental increase in salary. I'm still a proponent of signing Arroyo - getting 200IP of sub 4.00 ERA from your fifth starter is valuable.

To even approach playoff contention, the Giants need the following to happen:

-Posey to return to form for an entire year
    -Belt continues to improve (showed huge strides last year and solidified his future with the organization)
    -Sandoval returns to form (2009/2011)
    -Cain returns to form over the course of an entire year (highly likely)
    -Pagan stays healthy

vCash
    YES!!! Finally a big time FA signing.

vCash
    This is very disappointing! I'm guessing a one year deal worth $5 million.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by good spliff View Post
    Even if Vogelsong is healthy, we can expect somewhere between 2011-2012 and 2013. Sure, there a few starting pitchers available that would be an upgrade, but probably too small to warrant the incremental increase in salary. I'm still a proponent of signing Arroyo - getting 200IP of sub 4.00 ERA from your fifth starter is valuable.

-Belt continues to improve (showed huge strides last year and solidified his future with the organization)
    -Pagan stays healthy
    V-song was healthy to start and finish the season and still pitch like **** so I don't know what to expect. I'm also willing to bet Arroyo does not finish with a sub-4 ERA.

It's going to take a lot more than that to get to be in the playoff hunt.

Pence duplicating his '13 season
    Lincecum returning to form
    Pagan staying healthy AND hitting well
    Finding a LFer worth a ****
    More production from bench
    Hudson pitching like he can
    No regression from Bumgarner
    Bochy not ****ing with Belt
    The Dodgers falling on their face

I can go on and on. With the moves the Giants have made so far, there's just not a lot to get excited about.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by good spliff View Post

-Pagan stays healthy
    Arroyo has also had a very high FIP/xFIP the last several years and allows a lot of home runs. Part of the reason his ERA was down was due to the Reds defense being top 10 since 2008. And then he's also turning 37 in February. He's not worth signing.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    I don't mind bringing back Vogey as our #5. I just hope we bring in a LF.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast