Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Carmelo Anthony: Ball Stopper. Fact or Fiction?

OK this doesn't need much of an introduction, I'm sure we've all heard about everything there is about this subject to need one. I'm going to list some player tracking info from NBA.com for LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony and Paul George, the top 4 SFs. We all know Melo ISO's a lot, but does this make him a ball hog? Is it not something he does to create scoring chances out of nothing, thanks to us having quite poor playmaking from the guard positions? Everyone likes to say he should play off the ball more and all that but what good is that when no one can get the ball to you?

OK, so here's some info.

Touches/Possession

Touches Per Game
    LeBron James - 70.4
    Carmelo Anthony - 69.1
    Paul George - 69.1
    Kevin Durant - 65.8

Front Court Touches Per Game
    LeBron James - 60.4
    Paul George - 56.1
    Kevin Durant - 55.5
    Carmelo Anthony - 53.8

Time of Possesion Per Game (Minutes)
    LeBron James - 3.8
    Paul George - 3.3
    Carmelo Anthony - 3.2
    Kevin Durant - 2.8

Points Per Half Court Touch
    Kevin Durant - 0.52
    Carmelo Anthony - 0.49
    LeBron James - 0.43
    Paul George - 0.43

OK so looking at this so far, why is Melo labelled a ball hog? I've always felt he has been unfairly scrutinized in his career, and I love NBA.com having the SportVU information available to help dispel things that are biased speculation. While Melo ISO's a lot these are set plays, and in the end looking at it he's not a ball hog of any sort.

OK, maybe it's a passing thing? Well, let's move on to that.

Passing

Passes Per Game
    LeBron James - 47.6
    Paul George - 44.6
    Carmelo Anthony - 39.8
    Kevin Durant - 38.8

Looking at this info how can Melo be a ball hog while these other players aren't? He actually averages the least front court touches per game of them all, despite playing the most MPG and with the least talent of the four. How many analysts/reports would scoff if you told them Carmelo Anthony makes more passes a game than Kevin Durant?

vCash
    Hard to say, People called Iverson and Kobe ball stoppers, both those guys averaged more assists than Melo.

vCash
    not all passes are created equal.

vCash
    No he's not a ballstopper at all. If you want to see what a ballstopper truly is, go review some film on Amar'e Stoudemire. The moment the dude touches the ball, he's thinking only one thing and that's score, regardless if it's on 3 defenders.

Carmelo is in the same conundrum he's been in since he's come to this team- when all the other players are producing close to their normal averages than we win games. But when guys like SMith and SHumpert are playing as abysmal as they've been, Melo starts to shoulder the load for the team and he probably tries to do too much rather than letting the flow of the game come to him naturally.

It's happened every year for the past 3 years, we get into these outrageous funks/slumps and than Melo tries to do too much. It's not his fault we have the record we do, him and Martin have been the only consistent Knicks this year. Now if any other players on this team decided to start playing more consistently and actually try to resemble a professional basketball player, our record would be much, much better at this juncture. We should've beaten the Bulls in CHicago, definitely should've beaten the pacers at home, but obviously things didn't go our way.

it's a team sport, the onus doesn't fall on just one guy. Especially when that 1 guy is by far and away playing the best basketball on this squad compared to anyone else.

If you want to point the fingers at anyone, do it on Mr. All Star potential Shumpert or JR smith, who was our 2nd leading scorer last year at 18+ ppg and now I believe isn't even averaging double digits this year.

vCash
    Fact he is a ballhog!

Best poster on PSD Douglas

vCash
    I'm going with Faction

Yes, if you are asking you self that is a combination of fact and fiction.

When Melo wants to he can be one of the biggest ball hogs in the league. But at other times Melo is willing to move the ball around, this usually occurs when the Knicks are winning.
    Future Ace

vCash
    fact. He is a great player but he neither moves himself or the ball quickly in the 1/2 court. Watch Bron Flash to the post and watch Melo clog the floor fighting for possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    After watching the game last night. ..it seems like they made it their business not to get the ball to Melo in the third quarter. You can tell he didn't like it either.
    And shumpert is clearly playing for his self...
    This whole team is a ball stopper. .because everyone wants to be the " savior"...
    I told everyone in the beginning of season that we would be 2 and 8 ..
    This team needs to be blown up....and yes Melo is a ball stopper. .
    especially when your own teammates are calling you out for being one...

vCash
    Somewhere in between. He does stagnate the offense when he battles for position and sizes up his defender. He also gets the ball in a spot that rarely ever leads to a direct assist. Guys who operate in the elbow rarely ever are in the position to kick it directly out to an open shooter. If you have played basketball you understand in certain sets some guys are "one pass away". On the elbow more than anything, nobody gives help from "one pass away". You are taught to never double team from "one pass away" for a reason. The kickout pass leads to swing passes and hits the corner. Same reason Dirk always has measly assist totals but he is the sole reason his teams thrive with the 3 ball. Going by direct assists are pretty misleading and really favor top of the key dribble drive and kick players - I wish hockey assists were tallied in the NBA. Even better would be the "initial pass" that sparks the ball movement and leads to the open shot.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 11-28-2013 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    This place tends to go overboard on everything.
    He isn't even our biggest problem.

vCash
    He is counted on to do what he does. Great post. If he goes the Knicks will be another 10 years in the mud.

vCash
    Psd - king of useless stats. Your seriously have to be kidding me with these stats.

Sugar Ray Leonard whooping on Floyd Mayweather Sr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$JerZ View Post
    This place tends to go overboard on everything.
    He isn't even our biggest problem.
    Thank you sir very much!!!!

vCash
    He shoulda stayed in Denver, leaving for the Knicks was the worst decision ever made... some teams (my toronto teams included) just never seem to win no matter what they try.

vCash
    It's funny during games fans post that Melo shouldn't pass his mates can't hit a wall?

Yet he's a ball stopper? When his mates shoot I cringe, he fed Bargs, Iman, Ray, Timmy, Meta, and JR all blanks.

Not sure why I even posted in this thread? Who should he pass to? Bargs in the first half, then who?

Now I can't fly my airplane

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast