Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Baseball free agents interested in Mets inquiring about big Citi Field dimensions

The Mets may have changed the dimensions of Citi Field, but they have yet to change its reputation. The cavernous park was altered after the 2011 season, the outfield walls brought in closer to home plate, but the perception that it is a park where power hitters go to die at the warning track is seemingly still out there.
    Two agents representing players the Mets have talked to this offseason admitted privately that the ballpark’s reputation is something that their clients have had questions about this offseason.
    “It’s something that is still in the (players’) heads out there, that it’s a tough park to hit in,” said one agent, who requested anonymity to protect his clients. “They see what David Wright went through there and it makes them a little nervous I think.”
    Asked about the dimensions of Citi Field, outfielder Chris Young, whose signing with the Mets was made official on Tuesday, said he is a line-drive hitter who is not daunted by the ballpark.
    “I’ve never been a big power guy as far as long, deep home runs,” Young said. “My home runs are more line drives that fell out of the yard... Citi Field really doesn’t affect that type of power, in my opinion.”
    Young did discuss Citi Field with Wright before he made his decision to sign with the Mets.
    Wright has seen his home run totals drop off since the Mets moved from Shea Stadium in 2008 to Citi Field in 2009. While some of that is because Wright has battled injuries and has been left unprotected in weak lineups, there is no question that he has struggled with the cavernous outfield.
    Wright said he finds Citi Field a fair park.
    “Did it take away some home runs? Of course. One of my strengths was to drive the ball to left-center to right-center; that’s where this place is the biggest,” Wright said Monday on WFAN. “After they made those changes, it’s more comfortable knowing if you hit a ball squarely that it has a chance of going out.
    “It’s gratifying when you have a good at-bat, you put a good swing on the ball and hit the ball squarely, you’ll see results,” Wright said in his interview with Mike Francesa. “The opposite of that is to do everything you are supposed to and they catch it on the warning track. That is frustrating. And then you try to hit it even harder the next time — things can get funky.”
    “I think the ballpark now plays more fair,” Wright said.
    Citi Field went from having the third-fewest home runs hit there in 2011 to being 10th on the list of most home runs permitted (1.20 per game) in 2013 — right behind Yankee Stadium (1.28).
    Selling that reality against Citi Field’s reputation could be the biggest role Wright plays this offseason. The Mets’ captain has been active so far, staying in contact with GM Sandy Alderson to see how the club’s offseason plans are working out. He also took an active role in talking to Young, which made a difference.
    “You can talk to the manager and the front office, but when you get a chance to talk to a player who has been there, that makes a difference,” Young said.
    In two radio appearances this past week, Wright made it very clear that he is eager to be called on to help this offseason.
    “I want to help the organization turn the corner and get going in the right direction,” Wright said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2luoO1q2K

vCash
    David Wright is not the hero the Wilpons deserve, but the one Mets fans need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krazymetsfan24 View Post
    David Wright is not the hero the Wilpons deserve, but the one Mets fans need.
    Well said. Honestly, he deserves a better team then the one put together thus far. I don't want to see him rot in his prime.

As for the dimensions, It's just perception.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    I would think that free agents would be more concerned and hesitant in coming to the Mets because of the non-winning culture and not being ready to compete to go deep in the playoffs.

If SA wants Cruz or Granderson, right now, he will have to overpay. In the negotiating game SA is working from a position of weakness.

Can We Win 45 Games In The 2nd Half.....

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    You know what talks louder than ballpark dimensions?

Money...
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-28-2013 at 04:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69:27498540

Money...
    Indeed.

And it aint a good thing when the dimensions are bigger than the money.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

Money...
    Bad dimensions mean bad stats...

which means less money on future contracts.
    Scott Stevens: "Luck is a combination of hard work and perseverance, I tend to think that I make my own luck"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by imagesrdecievin View Post

I get that but players are looking towards the here and now. If the Mets outbid their competition for guys like Choo or Granderson, I doubt either one will be complaining about the dimensions of Citi Field when they sign the contract.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-28-2013 at 07:27 AM.

vCash
    One thing I never understood…

When Citi Field was in the planning stages, wouldn't ownership show the preliminary plans to some of the senior players on the team and say "what do you think?" or "Any suggestions?" It's just hard to believe that Wright, Beltran, Delgado, Reyes and even some past Mets like Piazza would not have seen sketches, mockups, artist conceptions etc. and pointed out the ridiculous Mo Zone. So they were either not shown anything until the plans were finalized or their suggestions were ignored.

vCash
    I get that but players are looking towards the here and now. If the Mets outbid their competition for guys like Choo or Granderson, I doubt either one will be complaining about the dimensions of Citi Field when they sign the contract.
    It's a matter of how much they'd have to out bid other teams with future earning in mind.

If the Mets are only willing to go a hair above the competition then it makes no sense for FA's to come here. Why take an extra million a year now if it might cost you an extra 10 million on your next contract?

Granderson is only 32 years old. If he's looking at a 3-4 deal now and a 2 year deal when he re-ups then Citifield's dimensions will matter to him.
    Scott Stevens: "Luck is a combination of hard work and perseverance, I tend to think that I make my own luck"

vCash
    It's a matter of how much they'd have to out bid other teams with future earning in mind.

If the Mets are only willing to go a hair above the competition then it makes no sense for FA's to come here. Why take an extra million a year now if it might cost you an extra 10 million on your next contract?

Granderson is only 32 years old. If he's looking at a 3-4 deal now and a 2 year deal when he re-ups then Citifield's dimensions will matter to him.
    Well he'll be 33 to start next season and I don't think players look that far into the future because there is no way they can guarantee their performance, especially into the backend of their careers.

Professional athletes usually take the best deal available and if the Mets outbid their competition for Granderson by 3-4 million dollars on the same 4 year deal (hypothetically), I am almost sure they could snatch him up. Same with Choo in terms of slightly outbidding his other suitors. New York is an attractive market and a good selling point, the only way that is passed up is if a guy like Granderson or Choo go an incredibly similar deal from a perennial playoff team.

Citi Field is not the pre eminent pitcher's park like it used to be either. In Granderson's case it's not the home run haven YS is but no place is as left handed friendly to home run hitters like Yankee Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfac.../sort/HRFactor

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Last 2 years since they moved the fences in, it's been top 12 in HR park factor. Citi Field plays a lot more neutral than it did previously.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota:27498651

When Citi Field was in the planning stages, wouldn't ownership show the preliminary plans to some of the senior players on the team and say "what do you think?" or "Any suggestions?" It's just hard to believe that Wright, Beltran, Delgado, Reyes and even some past Mets like Piazza would not have seen sketches, mockups, artist conceptions etc. and pointed out the ridiculous Mo Zone. So they were either not shown anything until the plans were finalized or their suggestions were ignored.
    One story I came across (with the caveat that I cannot vouch for its veracity) is that Tony Bernazard had Jeff Wilpon's ear when he requested the new stadium play large because two speedsters coming up - Fernando Martinez and Carlos Gomez - would ensure an advantage in such a field.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

yeah, but are players in the Mexican League and the Arizona Penal League really asking about future contracts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post

It doesn't sound like you have ever worked "corporate". The egos at the top will never go to the peons to ask for an opinion (no matter how much those minions are paid). They see it as a sign of weakness. And also, heaven forbid that they might disagree with them. I've worked both sides of that equation and unfortunately, both sides suck.

vCash
    Well he'll be 33 to start next season and I don't think players look that far into the future because there is no way they can guarantee their performance, especially into the backend of their careers.

Professional athletes usually take the best deal available and if the Mets outbid their competition for Granderson by 3-4 million dollars on the same 4 year deal (hypothetically), I am almost sure they could snatch him up. Same with Choo in terms of slightly outbidding his other suitors. New York is an attractive market and a good selling point, the only way that is passed up is if a guy like Granderson or Choo go an incredibly similar deal from a perennial playoff team.

Citi Field is not the pre eminent pitcher's park like it used to be either. In Granderson's case it's not the home run haven YS is but no place is as left handed friendly to home run hitters like Yankee Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfac.../sort/HRFactor

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Last 2 years since they moved the fences in, it's been top 12 in HR park factor. Citi Field plays a lot more neutral than it did previously.
    I imagine agents do look into the future.

I agree with the rest of your post though - Citifield isn't as bad as it's reputation suggests.

What sucks though is that signing a deal with the Mets always seems to be a 'risk' to FA's that requires a premium as opposed to other locations. Our ownership/management has been so bad for so long - I don't think any organization in all of pro sports needs an image 'makeover' as bad as we do.

/end rant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast