Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ricky Nolasco signs with the Twins

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Twins have agreed to a deal with Ricky Nolasco.
    No word yet on the financial terms. Nolasco, 30, posted a 3.70 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 165/46 K/BB ratio in 199 1/3 innings this past season between the Marlins and Dodgers. The right-hander should maintain considerable fantasy value with Minnesota -- and may even get a boost -- because of the spacious dimensions at Target Field.
    via roto

Gibbons reaction to the Adam Lind trade

vCash
    See ya later!

vCash
    Don't know the terms of the deal, but this seems a lot like the Edwin Jackson signing for the Cubs last offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
    Don't know the terms of the deal, but this seems a lot like the Edwin Jackson signing for the Cubs last offseason.
    Thought the same thing after I stopped yawning.

vCash
    well this was inevitable
    Unleash the Mamba!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Thought the same thing after I stopped yawning.
    There wil lbe a lot of those type of signings with a lack of star pitching available. Garza probably has the best potential to maybe return to start status but other than that you got Jimenez, Santana and Arroyo. Others like Kuroda, Burnett, Kazmir are different because they will probably settle for 2 years or less. Tanaka is also the wild card- if he even makes it over.

vCash
    Compared to our pitching last year I am ecstatic right now

vCash

Thumbs down

Bad move imo.
    Be $wavy

vCash
    I thought he was a solid #4 guy, I'm kinda bummed he didnt stay in LA (his hometown). Cant blame him for taking more money and years though, Minneosota is probably paying him #2 money... Bye Bye Nolasco.

vCash
    They're rebuilding, just signing roster fillers until they ready to spend big

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    Compared to our pitching last year I am ecstatic right now
    I'll give you JA Happ yo:P

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    I think I speak in behalf of the Dodger fans, good signing! Simply because we don't have to worry about us signing him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    See the thing is I think this is gonna be a big signing

Quote Originally Posted by mikekhelxD View Post
    I think I speak in behalf of the Dodger fans, good signing! Simply because we don't have to worry about us signing him.
    Oh yeah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekhelxD View Post
    Nope. You don't speak on behalf of this Dodger fan..

The Dodgers weren't going to sign him as he doesn't fit our needs.

The thing is, in my opinion, he doesn't fit the Twins' needs either.
    The Twins aren't going to be competitive for the foreseeable future so they have no reason to lock down a average to above average starter with no upside to be more than that.

Yes, their starters are pretty bad. Check these STEAMER projections
    http://www.fangraphs.com/projections...ers=0&sort=5,d

None of the starters are projected for 2 WAR.
    Nolasco is projected for 2.6 WAR. That's certainly an improvement over the guys that they had in house, but so what? Nolasco's 1.5 WAR over Vance Worley's projection isn't going to get them into the playoffs.

They'd have been better served by signing guys like Josh Johnson or Dan Haren for less money a year and who have more upside. These kinds of pitchers are available every year. They might not make 30 starts but that's ok. If they pitch well they can be moved for prospects that will help the Twins in later years, if they don't pitch well, the Twins weren't going to win too many games anyway.

Nolasco doesn't help make the Twins good. He helps make them...meh.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the contract details but I'm assuming it's something like 4 year $50 million. That's his market rate. Getting good not great players at market price doesn't help the Twins much. If they got him for well under that, my opinion on the deal would change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    This was likely more money than most roster fillers get.

Personally I think half the reason for the signing is to trade him in the future. But they have been linked to Garza, and have shown a lot of interest in Tanaka, that would be a hell of an upset if it were to occur. Samuel Deduno is a pretty good young pitcher and Alex Meyer, Buxton, Sano are all really close.
    Last edited by ciaban; 11-27-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast