Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of Marty Mornnhinweg's offensive scheme as of late?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Marty M's system has creativity.

1 9.09%
  • No, our offense is to much one sided as of late, we are not attacking the other teams defenses.

8 72.73%
  • I'm in between.

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Poll on Marty Mornhinweg's play-calling.

I wanted to create this to see your guys opinions thus far into the season... For one, I liked his play calling in the beginning of the year, he took some shots down the field (Bills game week 2, Falcons game.)

I think his play-calling and the way the Jets are playing Łber conservative on offensive lately have been screwing us. Unleash the beast, I want to see Geno allowed to air it out. We are way to predictable with this run offense... It's like a mix of Marty ball with Sparano.

I thought Marty M was a genius, but this isn't even a WCO. Yeah we lack playmakers on offense... but still..

Just give me your opinions, don't limit this to a yes or no poll I want to see what you guys think of the play-calling as of late. Be nice, and don't be jerks to one another, discuss.

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    Wouldn't you think that Rex may have some influence on the playcalling? I think it would be naÔve to think that after so many years of finishing with top 10 offenses that Marty somehow forgot to call plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    Wouldn't you think that Rex may have some influence on the playcalling? I think it would be naÔve to think that after so many years of finishing with top 10 offenses that Marty somehow forgot to call plays.
    That's what I am believing.

nymfan made a good post earlier on an article about Geno Smith's deep ball accuracy. 4th in the NFL. I watched Geno Smith in college, and most of his mistakes were on the short pass.

Why not have the offense tailored to Geno's strengths and not his weaknesses? I blame Rex kinda too, he loves to run the ball but u need to be able to pass to move the chains too. Offense has been to one sided for me lately and it's losing us football games.

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    When we signed Marty he said he was gonna attack defenses... We saw it earlier this season but the last couple of weeks, nope.

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    The wheels fell off this whole thing when Kerley went down. I think we all may be underestimating his value to what we were doing on offense.

I'll be very interested to see if things change when he returns to the lineup. I don't think talent wise he is the reason the offense fell off a cliff, but it may be, and I hope it is, that his presence on the field alone was important to the success of the offense...

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    Can't help but agree with this. Which is more likely: that Marty has suddenly become one of the worst OC's in the game, or that Rex Ryan is toxic for offenses?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Can't help but agree with this. Which is more likely: that Marty has suddenly become one of the worst OC's in the game, or that Rex Ryan is toxic for offenses?
    The only problem is, we have no real way of knowing if Geno is missing deep reads, or if the deep plays are indeed not being called. Given who is playing QB, I don't see how you can say its Rex that's toxic for an offense. I really doubt you would be having this conversation if Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, or Andy Dalton was playing QB, putting up 18-27 points in every game and not turning the ball over. Its not Rex, and its not Marty, its the offensive talent, or lack thereof...

Again, keep in mind, we're in year #1 of a rebuilding phase, and the defense is already built, especially with Milliner starting to play much better. We, just have to start putting the offensive pieces together, and by the end of the year we'll know if Geno is the QB of the future, if not, we draft the style QB Marty would want for his system, as approved by Idzik...

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    Wouldn't he need playmakers?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Wouldn't he need playmakers?
    It's hard to judge Marty when your line and pass pro, your rook QB is struggling and your Wrs and Tes are subpar. More than anything the Jets need better players. I'll go with Marty's track record over what we've seen from the Jets this season.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    That fact that our approach to playing offense has come to a screeching halt is undeniable. Here are the plausible reasons I've heard so far: 1) we don't have the offensive weapons; 2) the O-line sucks; 3) REX has put the kibosh on the offense and has demanded conservatism; 4) Geno isn't ready to start, and/or he really can't play in bad weather (so far - mostly wind); 5) Marty has forgotten how to play offense, etc.

I think it has been sort of a domino effect. Sure - we don't have the best playmakers, and losing J. Kerley seemed to make that worse - BUT - There have been significantly fewer drops this year than last (I heard someone say there were 6 drops last week - no, only 2. Also, when you look at many of the productive receivers/QBs - there are only a handful of QBs that put the ball in the perfect "window," and even they rely on their receivers to make catches when they're totally covered, and they just put the ball where their guy can make a play on it. Geno hasn't been doing either of these things for weeks - AND Holmes (although I have never liked him because of his selfish, destructive me attitude) is at least a decent WR, and G. Salas and D. Nelson have been open, and Winslow and Cumberland can get open as well - although lately, with everything being short - that makes the pass HAVE to be perfect because of the congestion.

Geno's deep ball has become more of a prayer throw than throwing to where we can make a play on it. Geno is second only to Tannehill in Sacks, and in the last 2 games, he has faced a few jail breaks, but so does every QB - the good ones hit their outlet guy immediately, and often because of the commitment to the blitz, those guys can make decent yardage. Geno has turned into a statue, and I think he has a good arm, but he seems to have a very limited ability to read, and react, and take what's given.

I believe REX, and probably Marty, have seen him whither, and are taking the ball out of his hand, so to speak. If that is the case - then it's time to sit him down. I know Matt Simms has no credentials - but he has a rocket arm, and he has some football savvy - and MAYBE, just MAYBE - he can do a better job for now.

I think REX really screwed himself when he put Sanchez in the "Snoopy Bowl." Is Sanchez the long-term answer - I seriously doubt it, and I might rather see Simms have a shot than Sanchez, but realistically, he's a better QB than anyone we have on our roster right now - but that's a moot, and stupid thought, I know, but do we really think an HC that puts Sanchez in that game, and only cares about defense, and has had a steadily deteriorating team since 2010 - is he really the guy we need at head coach? I don't think he survives this year, unless we have a dramatic turn around, like win 4, or 5, out of the next 5, and even then?????

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    Who is any QB of this team going to throw to that's going to make plays?

The only way to find out is open up the offense and take chances, something MWeg has scaled back from.

It's a rookie QB that has learned to live with the deep ball, turn him losse and see what he's best at, as opposed to limiting his field of play to a 10 yard box.

MWeg should look at what Geno in college and see that he's VERY comfortable in the shotgun and design plays for him, as opposed to trying to fit Geno to his system.

I'm not over MWeg being OC, but I'm disappointed that he hasn't found a rhythm with Geno yet.

vCash
    I think since the Cincy game, the Jets have lost confidence in Geno. Even in the Saints game, he completed primarily screen passes. I remember hearing on the radio that his completions traveled less than 10 yards in total past the line of scrimmage. Then in the Buffalo and Baltimore games, he was unable to throw the ball downfield. If the Jets come out conservative against Miami this week, it signals to me that the Jets have zero confidence in Geno any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgmc59 View Post
    I think since the Cincy game, the Jets have lost confidence in Geno. Even in the Saints game, he completed primarily screen passes. I remember hearing on the radio that his completions traveled less than 10 yards in total past the line of scrimmage. Then in the Buffalo and Baltimore games, he was unable to throw the ball downfield. If the Jets come out conservative against Miami this week, it signals to me that the Jets have zero confidence in Geno any more.
    All those things are true. And most importantly, he doesn't have the confidence or the ability to quickly scan the field and check down effectively when blitzed or hurried. So what does a coach do with him when his OLine can't get it done? And BTW, I wouldn't expect much improvement against Miami's defensive front.

I know I have called for along with many posters here for an escape from the uber-conservative play-calling but knowing our next opponent, I don't really expect much of a change this week. Maybe against Oakland.

vCash
    i had one nagging thought (among many others) during tha Ravens game and it had to do with the wildcat being used so often. Is this some escape from the Geno reality?
    The reason this was so nagging as I saw it being trotted out time and again in futility was that earlier in the week, the Ravens had proclaimed that they expected to see a heavy dose of the wildcat. They KNEW this was coming. How? Why?

On top of that, we still saw this over and over again and it was stopped cold every time. Why would the Jets run this when they knew the Ravens were preparing for this during the week? Was this some sort of Spy vs Spy mindgame going on? Did the Jets think this was subterfuge and ran it anyway thinking it was a ruse thrown out by the Ravens?

I don't know - probably reading too much into it but it's another bizarre twist to a season on the brink filled with highs and lows of the type the NFL has never seen before.

Did anyone else have a strange feeling about seeing the wildcat out there so much? I really think it's time to bury that play once and for all.

vCash
    The Jets are handling Geno the same way they handled Sanchez, and we all know how that worked out. Our ultra conservative ground and pound offensive approach of past years is also rearing it's ugly head once again. Since Marty wasn't around then this has to be on Rex. Rex, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast