Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Real Mets Payroll?

Last week, Mets GM Sandy Alderson told the world that the Mets’ 2014 payroll would be higher than their 2013 payroll, calculated at $87 million. This was reported as major Mets news. It’s really just a promise to spend in the neighborhood of $15 million in additional money on the 2014 team.

Forget what you’ve read elsewhere about the Mets’ payroll flexibility this winter. It is exaggerated. The Mets already have over $70 million committed to their 2014 payroll already. They should surpass that $87 million with ease. In fact, that $87 million is just a floor, and a very low one given the team’s existing commitments.

I confess that November’s $87 million number was new to me, but that’s my fault. Alderson first used it at the Mets’ September 30 end-of-season press conference.

• Per Adam Rubin, at ESPNNY, “Alderson said excluding the money owed to former Met Jason Bay, the Mets payroll for this past season ended up around $87-88 million.“
    • At the New York Daily News, Kristie Ackert heard Alderson’s September comments as foreshadowing a similar payroll in 2014: “Alderson, who said the payroll will be around $87 million-$88 million, described himself as finally being free from financial constraints he has had to deal with…”
    • Mike Puma in the New York Post, “Alderson said the Mets’ payroll this year — excluding the deferred payments still owed to Jason Bay — was in the $87 million to $88 million range. “

Baseball Prospectus’ invaluable Cot’s Contracts listed the Mets’ 2013 Opening Day payroll at $93,684,590.
    By shifting much of Jason Bay’s money from 2013 to 2014 and 2015, and carefully accounting for the team’s in-season moves, I could match the Mets’ own $87 million estimate.
    I calculate:

the Mets spent $87,582,860 on the team’s 40-man payroll in 2013. (There were many small adjustments that went into creating this estimate, so focus on the big numbers to the left, rather than a false sense of precision over the last dollar.)
    The team has over $74.5 million committed in 2014, depending a little on how Bay’s money is split between 2014 and 2015.
    http://metsminorleagueblog.com/analy...-bay-and-2014/http://metsminorleagueblog.com/analy...and-additions/

Be sure to click the links and read Toby's full analysis on our payroll and check out his excel spreadsheet on the payroll.

vCash
    Yikes. Looks like another season punted.

We won't be signing anyone significant this offseason...all that anticipation for nothing. Deferring Wright's and Bay's contract was ****ing sneaky and I had a feeling it would hurt our flexibility this year. I was hoping that it would not, but all signs point to this being the case. ****ing Wilpons man.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 11-26-2013 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    I'm not surprised by any of this at all.

vCash
    Pretty sad if this is the case... that the Mets FO has to look for every way possible to deceive the fanbase..without just outright lying. If you don't have money(or don't want to spend) just come out and say it!!!!

WORST COACH IN THE NBA!!!!! HOPEFULLY HAILING A CAB OUT OF THE CITY!!!

vCash
    lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bofakop View Post
    Pretty sad if this is the case... that the Mets FO has to look for every way possible to deceive the fanbase..without just outright lying. If you don't have money(or don't want to spend) just come out and say it!!!!

They have lied outright as far as I am concerned, willfully misleading the fan base for years and spinning them spending plans etc that they have no intention of following thru with is lying.

The Jose Reyes farce was a lie, sticker shock is a lie, the Bourn episode was a lie. tHEY'VE LIED MUCH MEO OFTEN THAN THEY'VE BEEN HONEST!

vCash
    LOL!!!I knew they would double dip the deferrals. IIRC Bay was bought out a year early, if they go to 2015 with him, they've actually dragged his payments out a year longer than they would have done if he had finished his deal! LOL!!!

Is anyone left in any doubt that the ONLY game in town is a very low annual payroll?

Anyone?

vCash
    Of course the Mets were going to double dip the deferrals/buyouts. All of the "we're counting money we haven't even spent yet on the 2013 payroll" was total ****. The Mets are absolutely being run like a small market team right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Of course the Mets were going to double dip the deferrals/buyouts. All of the "we're counting money we haven't even spent yet on the 2013 payroll" was total ****. The Mets are absolutely being run like a small market team right now.

Yeah, you could see the dirty accounting tactics coming a mile off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post

It wouldn't be so bad if only we ****ing had a larger budget to work with like we were supposed to! The payroll was supposed to $100M+ this offseason.

vCash
    Pins and needles. Needles and pins.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    There is some ongoing debate in the comments section of Toby Hyde's post that points out he may have miscalculated how to prorate the option buyouts, which Hyde himself acknowledges may muddy things.

Jury is still out on this one I'd say.

All that said, I stand by my sentiment of not giving a damn what the payroll is. But as a fan I want to see this front office find a way to put a winning team on the field. That's the metric they need to be assessed by.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    #payrollflexibilitymyass

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Yikes. Looks like another season punted.

We won't be signing anyone significant this offseason...all that anticipation for nothing. Deferring Wright's and Bay's contract was ****ing sneaky and I had a feeling it would hurt our flexibility this year. I was hoping that it would not, but all signs point to this being the case. ****ing Wilpons man.

I see nothing here to complain about. The terms of David Wright's contract has been posted to Cots for a long time including the deferments. Geez. There was nothing sneaky about it. Where you been? You people are obsessing over nothing, seriously. Get a grip. I told you they wouldn't be signing significant contracts this winter. Wake up and listen!
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I see nothing here to complain about. The terms of David Wright's contract has been posted to Cots for a long time including the deferments. Geez. There was nothing sneaky about it. Where you been? You people are obsessing over nothing, seriously. Get a grip. I told you they wouldn't be signing significant contracts this winter. Wake up and listen!
    A lot of people would have made that prediction, though for different reasons... they mostly think it's a bad thing and you... I don't even know what you think
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG+Braves
    Im a Braves fan and im scared to face Harvey way more then Strasburgh. Lol strasburgh dont scare me at all compared to Harvey.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast