Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Former NHL Players Sue League On Concussions

(WASHINGTON) ó Ten former National Hockey League players are claiming in a class-action lawsuit that the league hasnít done enough to protect players from concussions.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in federal court in Washington, seeks damages to be determined at trial. The players are also seeking court-approved medical monitoring for their brain trauma and/or injuries, which they blame on their NHL careers.

The suit comes just three months after the National Football League agreed to pay $765 million to settle lawsuits from thousands of former players who developed dementia or other concussion-related health problems.

The ex-hockey players claim that the NHL purposely concealed the risks of brain injuries faced by players, exposing them to unnecessary dangers.

The NHL didnít immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more: Former NHL Players Sue League on Concussions | TIME.com http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2...#ixzz2lhVcLoWy

thoughts?

vCash
    You know the risk. If you feel like you're still suffering from concussions, don't play. I'm not trying to be an ******* here. I didn't read this, nor do I know the players involved as I didn't click the link. If it's somewhat in the past, sure, but the NHL has really stepped up with concussions. They've been elite actually. They're working on getting these hits out of the game, and have been a great example for other sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    You know the risk. If you feel like you're still suffering from concussions, don't play. I'm not trying to be an ******* here. I didn't read this, nor do I know the players involved as I didn't click the link. If it's somewhat in the past, sure, but the NHL has really stepped up with concussions. They've been elite actually. They're working on getting these hits out of the game, and have been a great example for other sports.
    For current players sure, but this suit is coming from players who played decades ago.

Leeman, who played for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames, Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks and St. Louis Blues from 1983-1996, suffered multiple concussions and sub-concussive impacts during his career, according to the lawsuit. Since his retirement, he's suffered from post-traumatic head syndrome, headaches, memory loss and dizziness, the lawsuit says.

In addition to Leeman, the other ex-players on the lawsuit are: Bradley Aitken (Pittsburgh Penguins, Edmonton Oilers); Darren Banks (Boston Bruins); Curt Bennett (Blues, New York Rangers and Atlanta Flames); Richard Dunn (Buffalo Sabres and Calgary Flames); Warren Holmes, (Los Angeles Kings); Robert Manno, (Canucks, Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings); Blair James Stewart (Red Wings, Washington Capitals and Quebec Nordiques); Morris Titanic, (Sabres); and Rick Vaive (Canucks, Maple Leafs, Sabres, and Chicago Blackhawks).

In a statement, Vaive said players "were kept in the dark about the risks of concussions and many of the former NHL players are now suffering from debilitating head injuries from their time in the league. Hopefully this lawsuit will shine a light on the problem and the players will get the help they deserve."

vCash
    The players saw the NFL get paid and they want a piece imo. Im not being or trying to be an ******* either but the NHL has been at the forefront of concussions in all of sports, the gold standard. Sure we didnt know much when some of these players played but no one knew a lot period. In the NFL case the players had advantage because they were able to show that leagues like the NHL had done studies and provided the information to the NFL and they didnt do anything.

vCash
    I just find it funny that included in those ten players are 4 guys who played less than 45 games in the NHL, Aitken-14, Banks-20, Holmes-45, and Titanic-19...and a few guys who were known as fighters, or more than willing to drop the gloves

vCash
    Really funny because the league has to force players to wear helmets because they don't want to, then the players try to sue for concussions? This should be thrown out of court immediately and laughed down the street.

Maybe the players should take all those millions they've earned and invest it in concussion research if they really cared. Same for the NFL players for that matter.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    I hate when athletes go after the sport they "love".

These guys should be ashamed of themselves.

vCash

Former NHL Players Sue League On Concussions

Hope they win, doubt they will.

Ashamed?

Not really.

vCash
    Seems silly to me to sue in any league with contact. I don't need a doctor or lab results to know massive head trauma is pretty damn bad for the brain. I don't care what decade it is. Hell, on OTR tonight there was a doctor who stated that concussions have been diagnosed as far back as the 30's IIRC. You know the risk going into it. I myself have suffered several concussions and I sure as hell don't blame hockey, it's a roll of the dice anytime you're on the ice. Football is even worse, those guys smash heads on every play, what could possibly go wrong? it's only a matter of time before fighting is banned or is fined heavily.

vCash
    You know the risks when you step onto the ice - especially at the highest level of competition.

To go back and try to sue the NHL for giving you an opportunity to play hockey for a living is classless IMO. Youre a grown man - you can make your own decisions. If you are too worried about hurting yourself choose a different profession. There are millions of people who would do just about anything to have the opportunity to play in the nhl.

vCash
    This concussion stuff in the NHL and NFL will really escalate over the next 20-30 years. We might be watching soccer before we die.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    This wouldn't be happening if the NFL players didn't make so much money in winning their suit. I don't agree with it, but based on past cases there is obviously money to be made there.

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Seems silly to me to sue in any league with contact. I don't need a doctor or lab results to know massive head trauma is pretty damn bad for the brain. I don't care what decade it is. Hell, on OTR tonight there was a doctor who stated that concussions have been diagnosed as far back as the 30's IIRC. You know the risk going into it. I myself have suffered several concussions and I sure as hell don't blame hockey, it's a roll of the dice anytime you're on the ice. Football is even worse, those guys smash heads on every play, what could possibly go wrong? it's only a matter of time before fighting is banned or is fined heavily.
    I saw the same show and I agree that it looks like fighting is going to be a huge target of this lawsuit. I think the NHL will be forced to act on it somehow.
    I don't know enough of the facts to react to anything though. If these guys are partially unable to function due largely to head traumas being mistreated or misdiagnosed then I don't blame them for suing.
    If this is a simple cash grab based on the fact that most of these players barely finished high school and went into pro hockey as a teen and wasted their money instead of using it to learn another skill for life after hockey then I wouldn't feel bad for them at all.
    I guess we have to wait for the facts to surface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack.Bauer View Post
    You know the risks when you step onto the ice - especially at the highest level of competition.

To go back and try to sue the NHL for giving you an opportunity to play hockey for a living is classless IMO. Youre a grown man - you can make your own decisions. If you are too worried about hurting yourself choose a different profession. There are millions of people who would do just about anything to have the opportunity to play in the nhl.
    That's the whole point they're making.

They didn't. And the league knows they didn't.

For decades players have been pressured to play after getting their "bell rung". Lindros was practically called a girlie-man by Bobby Clarke for saying he didn't feel up to playing after his multiple concussions. Don Cherry is living evidence of brain damage, and no I don't mean that to be as cruel as it sounds, it's just true. The poor guy has no filters and has no idea he is yelling half the time. I've met him at work a few times and seen him at the airport. He seems to have suffered brain trauma in an age when it was "manly" to get up and start skating again or just keep on getting pummelled like Muhammed Ali did when he did his famous "rope a dope" routine. Has anyone seen how sad Ali looks after all the head trauma he suffered? All of this is old stuff from before and after the age that Leeman and Vaive were playing if you know your hockey history.

The point is that they didn't know and weren't informed then, and what's worse, when studies were being done by the league, that info was not shared. What the league did was actually criminal. Players like John Kordic committed suicide, Bob Probert had trauma-related problems that led to drug and alcohol addiction -- self-medicating the pain and the confusion you experience with head trauma and especially frontal lobe head trauma. It's time to educate ourselves and stop being as ignorant about these serious health issues as the league has been for the past 50 years.

I still doubt they'll be successful but the NHL deserves the courts to slam them very very hard on this one.

vCash
    Here we go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast