Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Monday after a tough loss. What do we do now?

Ok its Monday, your one of the coaches on the Raiders and we just let another close game get away from us. What do we do now?

I have been saying all along that 8-8 will get you in the playoffs. Agree with me or not, but if Im right, and you was the coach, what changes would you make? If you have ever been in a coaches meeting or a locker room, you would know that you have two directions to go. Start thinking about next year or have the mentality of "its never over til its over".

Matter of fact, if we win our next two games, I believe we will be sitting in the 6th spot of the AFC. Here is why. Tennessee will lose their next two games against Indy and Denver. If Pittsburg loses at Baltimore and beats Miami, we will be ahead of Pitt cause of Head to Head. If Baltimore beats Pitt at home and loses to Minnisota, we would be ahead of Balt. with a better AfC win%. San Diege will lose one of their next two games against Cin and NY Giants and we would be ahead SD due to head to head. The Jets beat Miami and loses to the Raiders, we would be ahead of the Jets cause of Head to Head. And Miami loses to Pitt and the Jets they will have 8 loses.

You follow Me? lol

Crazy as it may seem but very possible but if the Raiders win 4 of the next 5 (lose to Denver) and finish 8-8 we will have will be ahead because of all our victories have come against the teams in the hunt for the last playoff spot which covers Head to Head tiebrakers. And the second tiebraker is best AFC win %, and most the Raiders wins would be against the AFC.

So back to the question. What do you do now? What we have been doing is not working. IMO its time to think outside the box and get desperate! I think our defense plays well enough, we need to start putting up more points.

Here is what I would do. Start Mcgloin and use Pryor. Not just for a series or two, but when needed. We have two qb's that have pluses and minuses, we should use their pluses and go with it. Im talking 3rd and one, bring Pryor in to give more opitons. Sometimes start the drive with Pryor and throw and scramble. Then bring Mcgloin in to do his thing. Just keep the defense on their heals with out being predictable. That's what we are is predictable. And Yes, use McFadden in certain packages. My direction to the team would be leave your ego at the door and understand your role on this team. The changes would be radical.... Very radical. What do you have to lose???????? Nothing...

So What would you do? Don't make this a qb bashing thread.... there is already threads for that. Don't make it a DMC bashing thread.... He has 4 threads already doing that. Again What Would YOU DO?????? Have Fun.....
    Last edited by dogdaddy; 11-25-2013 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    get ready for thanksgiving...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    Ok its Monday, your one of the coaches on the Raiders and we just let another close game get away from us. What do we do now?

I have been saying all along that 8-8 will get you in the playoffs. Agree with me or not, but if Im right, and you was the coach, what changes would you make? If you have ever been in a coaches meeting or a locker room, you would know that you have two directions to go. Start thinking about next year or have the mentality of "its never over til its over".

Matter of fact, if we win our next two games, I believe we will be sitting in the 6th spot of the AFC. Here is why. Tennessee will lose their next two games against Indy and Denver. If Pittsburg loses at Baltimore and beats Miami, we will be ahead of Pitt cause of Head to Head. If Baltimore beats Pitt at home and loses to Minnisota, we would be ahead of Balt. with a better AfC win%. San Diege will lose one of their next two games against Cin and NY Giants and we would be ahead SD due to head to head. The Jets beat Miami and loses to the Raiders, we would be ahead of the Jets cause of Head to Head. And Miami loses to Pitt and the Jets they will have 8 loses.

You follow Me? lol

Crazy as it may seem but very possible but if the Raiders win 4 of the next 5 (lose to Denver) and finish 8-8 we will have will be ahead because of all our victories have come against the teams in the hunt for the last playoff spot which covers Head to Head tiebrakers. And the second tiebraker is best AFC win %, and most the Raiders wins would be against the AFC.

So back to the question. What do you do now? What we have been doing is not working. IMO its time to think outside the box and get desperate! I think our defense plays well enough, we need to start putting up more points.

Here is what I would do. Start Mcgloin and use Pryor. Not just for a series or two, but when needed. We have two qb's that have pluses and minuses, we should use their pluses and go with it. Im talking 3rd and one, bring Pryor in to give more opitons. Sometimes start the drive with Pryor and throw and scramble. Then bring Mcgloin in to do his thing. Just keep the defense on their heals with out being predictable. That's what we are is predictable. And Yes, use McFadden in certain packages. My direction to the team would be leave your ego at the door and understand your role on this team. The changes would be radical.... Very radical. What do you have to lose???????? Nothing...

So What would you do? Don't make this a qb bashing thread.... there is already threads for that. Don't make it a DMC bashing thread.... He has 4 threads already doing that. Again What Would YOU DO?????? Have Fun.....
    I've never been a fan of relying on what other teams do to determine our future ,whether we win or not doesn't matter TO ME....as long as there is overall progress in what we're trying to do as a football team. As much as I'd like to win we are in our 2nd year of the RM and DA project with a new OC and two rookie QB's midseason and the only thing we're NOT doing this season is finishing games....we're close but we're not there yet. Trust me I'm tired of ending each season with "wait till next year" but there will be many more positives going into this offseason than in the past. I say stay pat with what we're doing and bring on Dallas.......that's my long winded answer..hahaha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable650 View Post
    get ready for thanksgiving...
    There is one vote for pack it in and play for next year..... Who's next?

vCash
    I think you stay the course. I agree with Maxfly that we are in the games to the end (with some exceptions) and that you keep building on the positives. I would not make any radical changes--that will only lose you respect and most likely the locker room.

Keep in mind, the expectations going into this year were that this would be a building year and the rallying cry was "next year will be better." The promise of this team and the fact that they are exceeding expectations has changed the rally cry ("playoffs!?!?") for some (myself included, at times). The remaining schedule is pretty tough (on the road against Dallas on a short week, away to NYJ and SD and home against the Chiefs and Broncos). I am not sure the team can get another win against these teams--although, I am hopeful that they can beat the Jets and maybe steal one against either SD or the Chiefs. So, let's be patient, let's keep some continuity with the coaching staff and player personnel, let's keep building on the foundation of this year, and break out and surprise teams next year.

vCash
    We need to find out why our defense was so bad against the pass yesterday. If we gave up that many plays to Tenn. , the cowboys will make a mockery of us with their passing game. we did a good job on 1st and 2nd down , however 3rd down we got absolutely embarrassed. this has to be addressed.

vCash
    We have a tendency to play to the level of our competition. I expect a much better performance thursday........
    Boy, this modern day 20th century technology is "golly-gee-willikers"!! Whaaa?

"Why didn't someone tell me this was the 21st century????"

vCash
    Actually the Dallas game is very winnable. They play to there opponents much like we do. I see a very boring 9-6 game. who ever gets that last field goal wins.

vCash
    We get a stop on D or make a couple field goals and it's a close win instead of a tough loss..........we were in it and competitive til the end which is better than giving up at half like it seems this team used to do.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    People have way too high expectations for this team. We lost by four to Indy, who has fallen apart. We lost at home to the 3-7 Skins. We lost 24-20 to the 4-7 Giants, and 23-19 to the 5-6 Titans. None of these teams actually evoke fear in their opposition, with maybe, the exception of the Colts. That's four losses to four teams whose combined records are below .500. This is a team with fair to mediocre talent playing as a team for a change. With better talent, our coaching staff will look smarter. They need to remain en toto next year, imo....

vCash
    ^ I agree with that, I had no expectations of this team doing much this year. McGloin has been a nice suprise as has our defense (particularly against the run). I cant express how intrigued / excited I am to see what happens in this upcoming offseason, it will change our franchise for better or worse for years to come due to the cap amount that we have to spend.

vCash
    agree with the above...we are competitive and dont get completely destroyed every sunday...sucks to lose..but i had realistic expectations coming in....again i think looking to the future...we should only get better every year...which is something we have never been able to say in the past

vCash
    That's why I emphatically state we are NOT a good team. A good team beats these teams, and throttle the Titans and Skins......

vCash
    ....and don't allow Ryan Fitzpatrick to look like Joe Montana in the two minute drill.......

vCash
    They are all NFL teams, A win is a win no matter who your playing. Is there less then inferior teams. Yes. The Titans, Giants, Redskins and yes even Texans, Are better teams then their records represent. Wins against those teams would have created a better portraiture of our organization.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast