Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jazz @ Thunder

vCash

Jazz @ Thunder

lets see how they look

vCash
    Thats crappy that Westbrook isn't playing. Wanted to see him and Burke go against one another.

vCash
    I love the OKC Defense. They are really tough and essentially force teams to take long shots quickly. On the other end they simply get the ball into the paint relentlessly with great ball movement.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    I think it's a mistake to not start Kanter. If we are going to suck this bad, at least develop the right players. Typical Corbin idiotic lineups. He is a joke.

vCash
    wow. you think Kanter is a starter quality player at this point? You don't think there's merit in him helping the scoring options on the second unit?

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    I don't mind losing to the thunder is okc, but man we just keep getting blown out. I just wish we would have 1-2 games where all of the guys have amazing games and we can win comfortably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    wow. you think Kanter is a starter quality player at this point? You don't think there's merit in him helping the scoring options on the second unit?
    I don't trust Corbin to do the right thing. Whatever we are doing it is not working at all. We are not even competitive. At this point everyone is struggling and frustration is starting to set in. Coaches are scrambling to mix it up or try anything, I get it. But when has Corbin ever made a key adjustment that was brilliant? Face it, he doesn't know what to do. I wonder if he is starting to loose the team. Bill Simons predicted Corbin would be the first coach fired this year.

Meanwhile the Suns are 7 & 6 on the season. Does that bother anyone else? Take a look at the Suns roster and you will realize they are not very talented. You have got to credit Horny for doing a great job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic11 View Post
    I don't trust Corbin to do the right thing. Whatever we are doing it is not working at all. We are not even competitive. At this point everyone is struggling and frustration is starting to set in. Coaches are scrambling to mix it up or try anything, I get it. But when has Corbin ever made a key adjustment that was brilliant? Face it, he doesn't know what to do. I wonder if he is starting to loose the team. Bill Simons predicted Corbin would be the first coach fired this year.
    Meanwhile the Suns are 7 & 6 on the season. Does that bother anyone else? Take a look at the Suns roster and you will realize they are not very talented. You have got to credit Horny for doing a great job.

Smh no it doesn't bug me at all that the suns have a better record, they have beat 1 above .500 team and that was there first game against Portland, they have played 13 games 8 being homes games. Jazz have played 6 homes in 15 games the least amount of anyone else in the league also they have played 6 above 500 teams, 2 times okc 2 times warriors and tonight will be the 2nd time against the bulls. They have had 2 trip where they have had 4 roads games in a row and 3 road games in a row. Little different scenario between the two, you give Jeff that schedule with a very young team and a bunch of players playing roles they've never played and he would be looking at the same results.

I do find it funny how downer jazz fans will scream and yell to compare Jeff to Corbin and the amount of wins each have right now but then won't compare jazz to nets. Nets have over 100mil in players have 25+ Allstar appearance between all the players and have only won 2 more games then the jazz. Ya I rather be 1-14 and have our roster and the future plans surrounding it, then be 3-10 and have the nets roster with the future plans surrounding it.
    Last edited by nothappyinut; 11-25-2013 at 01:08 PM.

vCash
    I will also bet my year salary that bill Simmons looks like a moron (as usual) at the end of the year and Corbin isn't the first coach to be fired nor should he be. I don't care if you've been a coach of a hs team and think you know what Corbin is doing wrong or not. The nba level is a whole other ball game and that's comparing apples to oranges. Then you add in what Corbin has went through his first 3 years and you can understand the faults this team has.

What's funny is Corbin is near a copy of Sloan when it comes to philosophy yet people are begging the jazz to fire Corbin and higher Sloan. People forget or don't know that Sloan was fired 1/4 of the way through his 3rd season as bulls head coach and then was hired as a scout for the jazz then was promoted to assistant coach, before becoming head coach and getting handed the keys to a Bentley after frank retired and became president of the jazz.
    Last edited by nothappyinut; 11-25-2013 at 01:06 PM.

vCash
    I see Corbinites saying he should not be fired or they say he is not a bad coach so please give me some examples of what he is doing right. I would really like to hear your opinion on what areas he is succeeding in. Because I honestly do not see it but maybe you can point me in the direction of some things that he is doing well and then I can try and watch and observe him in those areas. As far as saying people can not critique Corbin or saying that people should not be able to say that he should be fired due to the fact that they have not coached in the NBA is just silly. Lots and lots of GM's and Owners in the NBA have never coached in the NBA so according to you they should not be able to hire or fire coaches, hmmm. . . . not seeing the logic! I 100% agree that coaching at a pro level is different than coaching at a college level and that coaching at a college level is different from coaching at the HS level however that does not mean that someone who coaches at one level cannot see what is going on at another level. I know coaches who were mediocre at coaching youth or Jr High teams but excelled at HS and college. By your philosophy that just isn't possible. There is a reason why there are only so many HIGH QUALITY Coaches at all different levels and why there are a lot of okay or not so good coaches at those same levels. A Head Coach has to have the skills to bring everything together, he has to be able to get the players to buy into his system, has to be able to inspire build up and encourage his players, has to be humble enough to put people underneath him as assistant coaches that are smarter or better at certain areas of the game than he is, he has to be able to know the X's and O's of the sport he is coaching but also has to know how to manage a game, manage substitution, know when to call time outs, know when to chew a players butt, know when to bench a player, know when to give a good pep talk, know when to not say anything at all. From my life experiences some of the best Head Coaches I have ever been around are not the best Coach on the staff as far a teaching the game they are great Head Coaches because they are humble enough to hire good people under them and are great because they are able to bring everything together. To me they are the icing on the cake. They are the ones that bring it all together and make it look good. I do not see this out of Corbin AT ALL. I do not hate Corbin one bit I simply do not think he has what it takes to even be a good Head Coach in the NBA. I see Assistant written all over him and that is not a bad thing at all.
    Last edited by WannabeJazzGM; 11-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.

vCash
    I think this is one of those seasons where you really can't have knee-jerk reactions or you will endure serious emotional swings. Let's look back at the end and as ourselves if the young guys made significant progress. Currently, i'm not seeing the development i would like...but we are only 15 games in. These kids deserve a season to figure it out. Some things that MUST improve for these kids to operate as a cohesive unit are spacing and ball movement. currently, both are some of the poorest i have witnessed. The only piece that I have serious concerns about is Burks. He may get his stats, although he's not currently, but he just doesn't make good decisions from what I can see.

vCash
    Some good points aaronseyeview. . . you are so right about the spacing and ball movement. You are spot on about the knee jerk reactions as fans and that we should let things play out. Burks does seem to be struggling a lot. I am not sure if that is due to the fact that he just does not have what it takes to be successful at this level or the fact that Corbin is killing this kids confidence and career with how he is coaching him. I waffle back and forth between these two factors but I personally lean more towards Burks output being the effects of poor coaching. We see it in professional sports at times that a player will really struggle one place then switches teams and coaches and then flourishes. Do you lean one of those two directions or do you see something completely different going on with him?

vCash
    Thanks. Burks is a tough nut to crack for me. There are times on the fast break where he will make a brilliant pass in traffic. Then, there will be other times where he begins to drive, draws the defense, and takes a really difficult 15ft jumper, rather than hitting an open Hayward (as an example) for 3. He can be an effective player if he plays to his strengths; penetrating the lane and then making a good basketball decision given the defense. But if he continues to take contested jumpers, i do not see him succeeding in this league. Is that coaching or him? Probably some of both in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeJazzGM View Post
    I see Corbinites saying he should not be fired or they say he is not a bad coach so please give me some examples of what he is doing right. I would really like to hear your opinion on what areas he is succeeding in. Because I honestly do not see it but maybe you can point me in the direction of some things that he is doing well and then I can try and watch and observe him in those areas. As far as saying people can not critique Corbin or saying that people should not be able to say that he should be fired due to the fact that they have not coached in the NBA is just silly. Lots and lots of GM's and Owners in the NBA have never coached in the NBA so according to you they should not be able to hire or fire coaches, hmmm. . . . not seeing the logic! I 100% agree that coaching at a pro level is different than coaching at a college level and that coaching at a college level is different from coaching at the HS level however that does not mean that someone who coaches at one level cannot see what is going on at another level. I know coaches who were mediocre at coaching youth or Jr High teams but excelled at HS and college. By your philosophy that just isn't possible. There is a reason why there are only so many HIGH QUALITY Coaches at all different levels and why there are a lot of okay or not so good coaches at those same levels. A Head Coach has to have the skills to bring everything together, he has to be able to get the players to buy into his system, has to be able to inspire build up and encourage his players, has to be humble enough to put people underneath him as assistant coaches that are smarter or better at certain areas of the game than he is, he has to be able to know the X's and O's of the sport he is coaching but also has to know how to manage a game, manage substitution, know when to call time outs, know when to chew a players butt, know when to bench a player, know when to give a good pep talk, know when to not say anything at all. From my life experiences some of the best Head Coaches I have ever been around are not the best Coach on the staff as far a teaching the game they are great Head Coaches because they are humble enough to hire good people under them and are great because they are able to bring everything together. To me they are the icing on the cake. They are the ones that bring it all together and make it look good. I do not see this out of Corbin AT ALL. I do not hate Corbin one bit I simply do not think he has what it takes to even be a good Head Coach in the NBA. I see Assistant written all over him and that is not a bad thing at all.
    So why was jerry Sloan fired if he had all that but was let go after only being in his 3rd season?? I'll take a guess because coaching at the pro level takes time no matter how many years you've had as an assistant coach / scout / junior high / high school ect. Unless you walk into a gold mine like Jackson you will have a hard learning curve as a rookie newbie head coach at the pro level. The talent at the lower levels allows crappy coaches to exceed quicker due to that talent level being so water down. Even in college the talent level is way watered down compared to the nba. Jerry gets fired becomes a scout then assistant then leaves the NBA comes back again as an assistant then gets promoted as head coach. All of a sudden jerry isn't the same jerry that was fired? Did he transform himself in some type of machine that made him into a HOF head coach?? I don't think those machine exist. What did happen though was he went through is downs as a head coach, hit the learning curve head on semi sucked in the process and the bulls didn't stick with him they canned him. Probably do to knee jerk stupid reaction like jazz fans exhibit daily.

And no I don't think you have to be a hof coach to determine if Ty is doing a good job or not. But when I hear from Malone jerry Lindsey brooks and everyone else that has been successful on the pro level that Ty is doing a good job with what he has been dealt with and that he has done a good job staying with it and holding the team together then ya I'm going to listen to them over some hs/semi-lame college coach who "just see what he is doing wrong". Or some major market sports writer who has no clue who the jazz are. Sorry but they hold more credibility then a keyboard warrior.

At least Ty is trying to make the 3 pointer relevant in Utah and not burying it as the last play to go to. And at least he has started tweaking the defense so we aren't the only damn team that pushing towards the paint. Also how many team have taken a beating like the jazz in the first half of games and yet never give up to the point of almost coming back in a few of those games. If Ty was such a bad coach wouldn't the players already have given up on him given the record. I've seen sac players give up and bobcat players give up yet I haven't seen jazz player give up. They look frustrated due to losses they look defeated at times but they still grind. Is that not indicative to your head coach???? Look Ty isn't perfect by any stretch, 99% of rookie hd have scraps and bruisers their first 3-5 years in the league. Problem is us as fans don't back our guys we cry and complain cause we aren't winning even though we've had 20+ winning seasons in the last 3 decades.

vCash
    I'm with you Aaron on burks he is a major question mark in my head. Kanter just looks like he hasn't played very much throughout his lifetime which he hasn't. If you notice every time kanter does a dodo mistake he always looks over at the coaching staff with a puzzled look like he didn't know that was a rule or he couldn't do what he did. I think that's due to his inexperience with the game of basketball. I think he has the raw talent though to put it all together it will just be a few years from now if he does. I think it was a great call by Corbin to let him come off the bench. He gets his ace handed too much by the starters and he starts to get confused, which from what I can tell puts him into an even bigger rut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast