Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

D-League Prospects Thread

A lot of times the D-League goes pretty unnoticed. However, the last few years teams like the Spurs, Warriors, and Mavericks have really used the D-League to develop prospects and help their younger players get adapted to the games. There is actually quite a few players that have been called up and have gone on to be major contributors. The Bulls are one of the teams that don't really send players up and down too much and they also share their affiliate with other teams.

On that note, as someone who frequently pays attention to the D-League and it's players, I thought I would share some interesting information that maybe the Bulls should look into.

The D-League does a very good job at posting and ranking top prospects and their information. Currently, their number 1 rated prospect is former Bull, Malcolm Thomas. Boy do I think the Bulls should hold on to him. In his first game last night he posted a stat line of 36 points, 18 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists, and 3 blocks. Not only that, but he also shot 12 of 17 including 10 of 15 free throws and 2 of 4 from three. I didn't even know he had a three point shot in his games. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on him.

On the Bull's affiliate, The Iowa Energy, there is also a few players worth noting. Othyrus Jeffers, a 6-5 shooting guard, has put up a stat line of 30/13/5 and has shot 50 % from downtown in his first 2 games.

Here is a link to the top 30 current prospects.
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/prospectwatch/

If anyone has any questions or input, let me know!

vCash
    I want Thomas back

vCash
    i always liked thomas , get him back here , trade taj

vCash
    Lol, 36/18/3

vCash
    The Bulls believe that Thomas is useless because we have Taj, if we trade Taj then he would be a decent pickup but there is no way his stats will translate or that he will be a difference maker. The FO should be focusing on a lot bigger things than signing a bench warming power forward.
    2014-2015 Chicago Bulls
    Rose/Hinrich/Jordan Clarkson
    Gordon Hayward/Snell/ Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Butler/Dunleavy
    Gibson/Mirotic
    Noah/Willie Cauley-Stein/Viktor Kratsov

vCash
    Malcolm followed up his first game with a 31/13 performance and shot 6-9 from 3. The Spurs have officially signed him today.

vCash
    of course they did , we're too blind to see how good he's been doing , Spurs will probably get another great contributor off the bench for them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Furymaker View Post
    of course they did , we're too blind to see how good he's been doing , Spurs will probably get another great contributor off the bench for them
    Where do comments like these stem from? I am seriously curious - we must have either completely different definitions of a great contributor or we have completely different ideas of what blindness means

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Where do comments like these stem from? I am seriously curious - we must have either completely different definitions of a great contributor or we have completely different ideas of what blindness means
    Would you consider Danny Green a great contributor? He spend two seasons in the D-League and was viewed as a scrub signing. Most people just assume that if a player came from the D-League, they must be terrible. In reality, the Spurs have been very good at calling up players and having them develop into a contributor.

With that said, Do I think Malcolm Thomas will turn into a great contributor for the Spurs? Probably not. However, I would not be surprised if he became a a rotation player or eventually started for them.

I guess my question to you would be, if Danny Green can be a great contributor, why can't Malcolm Thomas?

vCash
    Yes, are you saying that Malcolm Thomas will end up being as productive as him?

If Malcolm Thomas plays in half the possible games and averages 10 minutes a game, would you say he's a great contributor? I certainly would not. Using Danny Green, a full-time starter now as a barometer of "great contributing" success is over the top

vCash
    I meant he will give them good option off the bench , probably better than Diaw .
    And as ^ he said , Green came from nowhere and almost won them a chip ..

vCash
    I just disagree, we'll have to wait and see. I just don't like the comment you stated:

"we're too blind to see how good he's been doing , Spurs will probably get another great contributor off the bench for them"

As if there aren't 29 other teams in the league who have had a look at this guy. Also, it's as if you're insinuating the Bulls are stupid when evaluating young players and developing them --- their BEST attributes man.

vCash
    I didn't meant it that way ( general ) , just this case , we all saw how good he has been for us in last year pre-season , everyone wanted him signed , after some time , dude has been beasting in D-league , and when you dont have many options in frontcourt ( i dont count Nazr as option off the bench , although he was solid when we needed him ) .
    When you're in situation like Bulls are this season , all these trade rumours are going on , why not give him a chance , if he proves as solid piece once again , you know you can count on him .

Even before this season starter everyone here wanted another big-man , and with numbers he has been putting lately , why not give him a shot ? He had most history with him .
    And Spurs know what are they doing , they are by far the smartest organization in NBA , and they wouldn't sign him if they aren't expecting contribution from him .
    He's Taj-like potential player , much cheaper , younger and with recent games looks like he has bit range in his game , while Taj doesn't . ( this is not me saying he's better than Taj , just he could reach his level easily + bit range )

And things we have done with Taj , Jimmy and Snell are great , with such low picks they're real contributors on team . ( Snell still has many games to play to prove so , but he's looking good )

vCash
    The Bulls do have options in their front court. Malcolm Thomas isn't better than Nazr Mohammed. He's younger, I would prefer him to play over Nazr for the simple fact that he may turn out to be a better 10th man, but so what? The Bulls took a look at this guy, and since the Bulls are in the top-5 FOs for judging players' talents and abilities, they shouldn't be taking tongue-in-cheek comments like that when they pass on a perennial summer-league and D-league player in Malcolm freaking Thomas.

vCash
    Bakersfield Jam F James Nunnally is a candidate to be called up from the D-League, according to USA Today's Sam Amick.

Nunnally met with the Cavaliers, Bulls and Thunder in Reno during the D-League Showcase, as teams have been impressed with his play in 19 games this season. He's averaging 18.2 points, 2.9 threes, 4.4 rebounds and 4.0 assists with Bakersfield, but even if he is called up he won't make a dent in standard fantasy leagues.
    roto

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/james_nunnally/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast