Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Blue Jays Putting Together Package for Jeff Samardzija

Teams have inquired on Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija and the Blue Jays are putting together a package of young players to try to land him, a source tells Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com (on Twitter). For his part, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos didn't deny that he has discussed Samardzija with Chicago in an interview with Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (on Twitter). Even though Anthopoulos is looking into starters, he insisted that he has yet to make an offer to anyone (link).

As it stands, Samardzija is set to hit the open market prior to the 2016 season. Most reports throughout the 2013 season indicated that an extension would be tricky, but GM Jed Hoyer indicated recently that he has had discussions with the 28-year-old, making a new deal seem more plausible than it has in the past.

The Blue Jays are far from the first club to be linked to Samardzija and the Nationals and Diamondbacks are two of the more recent clubs with rumored interest. The Cubs hurler posted a 4.34 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 2013 and his xFIP of 3.45 suggests he was stronger than his ERA shows.
    Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Blue Jays are "putting together a package of young players" in trade talks with the Cubs regarding Jeff Samardzija.
    The Cubs have discussed a multi-year contract extension with Samardzija, but they could end up deciding to deal him if they determine an extension doesn't look likely. Levine also adds that the Diamondbacks have talked to the Cubs about Samardzija. Previous reports have linked the Nationals with the right-hander. Samardzija, 28, is under team control through the 2015 season.
    thoughts?

Velvet Sky. hottest woman in wrestling

vCash
    If we trade Sanchez for Shark, I will rage.

vCash
    Yah....I dont want Sanchez, Osuna or Stroman included in a deal but it would obviously have to include 1 of them probably. I could live with Stroman going but not Sanchez. Id much prefer a deal around Gose+. Maybe Gose , Nolin, Pillar or somthin. Im just not high on shark so I wouldnt wanna give much up for him.

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Prospects I really like in that system:

Sanchez - Duh, though not sure he's this super ace of the future imagined of every pitching prospect not deemed a future #2.

Stroman - Another duh.

Norris - Top HS LH in 2011, power arm, healthy, still on a solid pace...A guy who's stock could fly up in the next two years.

DJ Davis - Toolsy first round HS OF talent from last year.

I'm sure there's others - Nolin, Drabek, Hutchinson quickly come to mind - but you don't move a healthy power rotation arm for anything less than two high quality prospects and then some these days...

vCash
    Yea, he isnt the type of guy I would give Sanchez up for, but a deal built around a couple top 5 specs is fine with me.

Im concerned how much the Cubs increased his innings the past 3 years though.

88 in 2011, 174 in 2012, 213 in 2013.

Might lead to injuries with our luck in SP. He could end up a similar player to Morrow, both in a good (talent) and bad way (injury risk?).
    Finally,
    A Sig With Class.

vCash
    Be more concerned with pitch counts instead of innings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Yea, he isnt the type of guy I would give Sanchez up for, but a deal built around a couple top 5 specs is fine with me.

Im concerned how much the Cubs increased his innings the past 3 years though.

88 in 2011, 174 in 2012, 213 in 2013.

Might lead to injuries with our luck in SP. He could end up a similar player to Morrow, both in a good (talent) and bad way (injury risk?).
    Samardzija has never been injured, and previous injury is the best indicator of future injury for the most part. Plus what sexicano31 said.

Honestly, he's probably one of the better bets out there to stay healthy. He's well out of the first injury nexus and won't be in the second for another 3 years (unless it's 29 and not 32, don't think so THO), and two of those will be for pre-FA salaries.

Anyway...guy's got alot going for him so I don't get what's not to like. He's arguably the most athletic rotation pitcher in either league, he's massive, he's never been injured, he averages 94-95 on his FB, has a swing and miss offspeed, no major mechanical issues, performed well in the rotation, and took 213 innings like a boss in a time when guys who can eat 190 innings consistently are considered inning eaters....This is very valuable stuff, no homer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Be more concerned with pitch counts instead of innings
    Well yea, just saying his work load has increased significantly the past 3 years.

~1530 pitches thrown in 2011
    ~2750 in 2012
    ~3450 in 2013

Just something that caught my eye when looking at him from an outsider's pov.
    Finally,
    A Sig With Class.

vCash
    The increase from 2012 to 2013 isn't really alarming of worry some

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Samardzija has never been injured, and previous injury is the best indicator of future injury for the most part. Plus what sexicano31 said.

Honestly, he's probably one of the better bets out there to stay healthy. He's well out of the first injury nexus and won't be in the second for another 3 years (unless it's 29 and not 32, don't think so THO), and two of those will be for pre-FA salaries.

Anyway...guy's got alot going for him so I don't get what's not to like. He's arguably the most athletic rotation pitcher in either league, he's massive, he's never been injured, he averages 94-95 on his FB, has a swing and miss offspeed, no major mechanical issues, performed well in the rotation, and took 213 innings like a boss in a time when guys who can eat 190 innings consistently are considered inning eaters....This is very valuable stuff, no homer.
    No doubt I think he would be a solid add to our rotation, I just wouldnt give Sanchez up for him personally. Stroman+ one of Osuna/Davis + another spec in the 8-12 range is what I would consider a fair offer. No clue if the Cubs would go for that, jmo.
    Finally,
    A Sig With Class.

vCash
    If AA gives up Sanchez here I'd lose it.

vCash
    What are Blue Jay fan thoughts on Norris and Davis?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    No doubt I think he would be a solid add to our rotation, I just wouldnt give Sanchez up for him personally. Stroman+ one of Osuna/Davis + another spec in the 8-12 range is what I would consider a fair offer. No clue if the Cubs would go for that, jmo.
    For Samardzija.. your offer would be a very nice / decent return.. Marcus Stroman can go directly to the major leagues out of Spring Training.. as a bullpen guy (best spot, imho).. or as a middle of the rotation starter. DJ Davis and Tony Alford would swell the already robust Cubs prospect volume with two incredible athletes. The added depth to the Cubs minor league OF would be a HUGE (Soler, DJ Davis and Tony Alford).. Power, speed and athleticism on display every night.. Balls hit in the air would seldom have a chance to get a grass stain with an outfield of these three gazelles..

vCash
    Oh no, are they seriously planning on bringing another NL pitcher over to the AL East? lol
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.

- Mark Twain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    What are Blue Jay fan thoughts on Norris and Davis?

Are you Theo

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast