Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Brian McCann signs 5yr $85m deal with Yanks potentially worth $100m with vesting opt

vCash
    This was the most likely scenario.

vCash
    Do you feel is was an overpay Braves fans? I'm interested to know what you think since you saw him play the most.

vCash
    I am sitting here with a Yankee fan and he feels that McCann at an average of $17m a season is reasonable. He will catch until 2017 when he can shift to first base when Tex's deal is up. My other Yankee friend thinks Cano is going to the Nationals. So most likely, the Yanks will sign Choo for the outfield and use Nunez, Nix and Ryan at second base for this lineup:

Choo, RF
    Jeter, SS
    Teixiera, 1B
    A-Rod, 3B
    McCann, C
    Soriano, DH
    Gardner, CF
    Ichiro, LF
    Nunez, 2B

vCash

Brian McCann signs 5yr $85m deal with Yanks potentially worth $100m with vesting opt

Wow that is a horrible contract. I thought the Yankees were trying to get smarter with their money?
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

vCash
    Thank god the Red Sox didn't sign him! Ridiculously overpayed for a guy starting to decline. Good job at over spending Yankees lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    Wow that is a horrible contract. I thought the Yankees were trying to get smarter with their money?
    McCann should be a 3 WAR C or more hitting in Yankee stadium. The 5/85 is fine but the option kind of sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    McCann should be a 3 WAR C or more hitting in Yankee stadium. The 5/85 is fine but the option kind of sucks.
    Eh we shall see. McCann absolutely sucked the second half of the last season. His numbers are declining and he gets injured every year. I'll be interested to see how the "sherif" responds to the pressure of playing in ny.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

vCash
    Mac should put up respectable power numbers in Yankee Stadium. The deal isn't bad for a team with low payroll restrictions.

vCash
    Sandwich pick!

Best defenders are in the stands!

vCash
    despicable. mccann a spankee.

damn him to hell.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    Do you feel is was an overpay Braves fans? I'm interested to know what you think since you saw him play the most.
    It depends what you mean by an "overpay." In the abstract, it's an overpay. If you value a win at the traditional $5 million (with the caveat that the old math might not apply in this newly inflated market), the $85 million guarantee expects him to be worth 17 WAR over the next five years. That's almost exactly what he's been worth over the past five years, and given his mild decline trend, which can be expected to steepen a bit as he ages, and the fact that his value will take a hit as he plays less and less behind the plate, I don't think it's reasonable to expect his age-30 to age-34 seasons to be as good as his age-25 to age-29 seasons, especially given the mileage already on his tires.

But with that said, I think this is a great move for the Yankees. They're flush with cash, they needed a catcher badly, and this is the best free-agent backstop likely to hit the market in the recent past or the foreseeable future. Strictly speaking, they might have overpaid, but the economics of the New York market have always been a little different. They'll instantly get better at a position where they had a truly massive need, and even if Mac doesn't quite live up to the standard set by his contract, it's not like his employers are going to be hurting in the wallet.
    Last edited by rtgthree; 11-24-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: incorrect information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    It depends what you mean by an "overpay." In the abstract, it's an overpay. If you value a win at the traditional $5 million (with the caveat that the old math might not apply in this newly inflated market), the $85 million guarantee expects him to be worth 17 WAR over the next five years. That's almost exactly what he's been worth over the past five years, and given his mild decline trend, which can be expected to steepen a bit as he ages, and the fact that his value will take a hit as he plays less and less behind the plate, I don't think it's reasonable to expect his age-30 to age-34 seasons to be as good as his age-25 to age-29 seasons, especially given the mileage already on his tires.

But with that said, I think this is a great move for the Yankees. They're flush with cash, they needed a catcher badly, and this is the best free-agent backstop likely to hit the market in the recent past or the foreseeable future. Strictly speaking, they might have overpaid, but the economics of the New York market have always been a little different. They'll instantly get better at a position where they had a truly massive need, and even if Mac doesn't quite live up to the standard set by his contract, it's not like his employers are going to be hurting in the wallet.

Even better. This is about as good of a scenario as the Braves could have hoped for, because the Yankees were bad enough to have a decent first-round pick, but not SO bad that they had a top-10 pick (which would've been protected). The Braves will get the Yankees' No. 18 overall pick, which means Atlanta will pick at 18 and 29 in the first round, plus get a big boost to their bonus pool. Of all the teams rumored to have even a little bit of interest in McCann, this is the best possible scenario for Braves fans, given the pick that Frank Wren & Co. will receive.
    We no longer get the Yankees pick, we get a comp pick between the first and second rounds and the Yankees lose their first rd pick under the new system.

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 2.3 vs Harper 1.3
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 9.9 vs Harper 9.4
    162 game average - Simmons 4.6 vs Harper 4.3

updated 11/25/14

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post

Even better. This is about as good of a scenario as the Braves could have hoped for, because the Yankees were bad enough to have a decent first-round pick, but not SO bad that they had a top-10 pick (which would've been protected). The Braves will get the Yankees' No. 18 overall pick, which means Atlanta will pick at 18 and 29 in the first round, plus get a big boost to their bonus pool. Of all the teams rumored to have even a little bit of interest in McCann, this is the best possible scenario for Braves fans, given the pick that Frank Wren & Co. will receive.
    Help me remeber...what happens in the case, say choo signs with the yankees, who would get the draft pick then

BJ AND THE BEAR....LOL
    IS ANYONE EVEN OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER THE SHOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mickmurph37 View Post
    Help me remeber...what happens in the case, say choo signs with the yankees, who would get the draft pick then
    The Yankees would the forfeit both their 1st and 2nd round picks, but no team would recurve those picks they would just be forfeit, as to the order the teams would pick in It's based on team record at that point so the reds would pick ahead of us. The order is as follows:

Mariners (Morales)
    Yankees (Cano/Granderson/Kuroda)
    Royals (Santana)
    Reds (Choo)
    Rangers (Cruz)
    Indians (Jimenez)
    Braves (McCann)
    Red Sox (Napoli/Ellsbury/Drew)
    Cardinals (Beltran)
    Last edited by Braves_Fan_RSD; 11-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 2.3 vs Harper 1.3
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 9.9 vs Harper 9.4
    162 game average - Simmons 4.6 vs Harper 4.3

updated 11/25/14

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast