Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wk. 12 Chargers at Chiefs

Hey Chief buddies, how ya doin? Good I expect great season for you so far.

If you don't mind thought I'd post a game breakdown (sry from a Charger point of view but plenty in there for ya)

What to Watch For…

On Offense for the Chargers

Much has been said about the tremendous season Philip Rivers is having, and rightfully so, but a major reason for his success has been the play of the other skill players on offense. The Bolts have five players this season — tight end Antonio Gates, running back Danny Woodhead, and wide receivers Keenan Allen, Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal — who all have at least 30 catches and a touchdown. Gates leads the squad this year with 56 catches and 664 yards and comes into Sunday’s game in Kansas City two catches and 15 yards away from becoming the fourth tight end in league history with 700 catches and 9,000 yards. Right behind Gates sits Woodhead, second on the team with 55 catches, good for 424 yards and four touchdowns.
    Meanwhile, Allen has hauled in 41 passes for 613 yards and three scores, totals that are among the best of any rookie receiver in the league this season. Among rookies, he ranks first in receiving yards, third in catches and he’s tied for fourth in touchdown catches. The other two receivers in the group are Vincent Brown with 32 catches, 334 yards and a touchdown, and the senior member of the group, Eddie Royal has caught 30 passes for 397 yards and a career-high seven touchdowns.

On Offense for the Chiefs

Much like Rivers, Kansas City’s quarterback, Alex Smith, has had success sharing the football. He’s connected with 13 different players this season with running back Jamaal Charles leading the pack, receiving 23.4 percent of Smith’s completions. Charles has caught 49 passes for 383 yards, and the next highest receiver is Dwayne Bowe with 37 for a team-high 426 yards.

On Defense for the Chargers

San Diego is coming off a performance in Miami in which they held the Dolphins to just 20 points, marking the fifth time in 10 games that the unit held the opposition to less than 21 points. The Chargers are 11th overall in points per game allowed. In Miami, the defense held the Dolphins to 2 of 10 on third downs and 343 total yards. Earlier this season, the defense went a team-record 12 straight quarters without allowing an offensive touchdown.

On Defense for the Chiefs

KC has one of the most potent defenses in the NFL through 11 weeks. They rank second in the league in sacks with 36, just one behind the Buffalo Bills. Linebacker Justin Houston is tied for third in the NFL with 11.0 sacks while Tamba Hali ranks fifth with 9.0 sacks. The Chiefs also rank second in the NFL in points allowed per game with 13.8, trailing just the Carolina Panthers who have surrendered 13.5. Kansas City is also first in third down defense, allowing on 27.2% of them to be converted.

Series History

This will be the 107th time that the Chargers and Chiefs have met and the Bolts hold a 53-52-1 series edge that includes winning two straight, four of the last five and nine of the last 11. The Charges swept the two meetings in 2012, winning 37-20 at Arrowhead Stadium and 31-13 at Qualcomm Stadium.

By the Numbers

For the year, the Chargers rank seventh in total offense (399.4 yards per game), fourth in passing (287.9 ypg), 16th in rushing (111.5 ypg) and 17th in points (22.8). The Chiefs rank 24thin total offense (320.0 ypg), 26th in passing (198.5 ypg), 11th in rushing (121.5 ypg) and 16th in points (23.2)

Defensively, the Bolts rank 27th in total defense (389.0 ypg), 27th in passing (275.5 ypg), 16th in rushing (113.5 ypg) and 11th in points allowed (22.2). Kansas City ranks 12th in total defense (336.9 ypg), ninth in passing (219.8 ypg), 20th in rushing (117.1 ypg) and second in points allowed (13.8).

Connections

Chargers fullback Le’Ron McClain joined the Chargers in 2012 after spending the 2011 season in Kansas City.

Nick Novak kicked in six games for the Chiefs in 2009, hitting six of 10 field goals with a long of 43.

David Whitehurst, father of Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, played quarterback for the Chiefs in 1984.

Chargers’ offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris spent the 2008-09 seasons as an assistant offensive line coach in Kansas City, his first NFL coaching position.

Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Rick Lyle grew up in Kansas City, Missouri.

Offensive quality control coach Nick Sirianni spent the last four seasons coaching in Kansas City, including 2012 as the Chiefs’ wide receivers coach and 2009-11 as a quality control coach.

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith is a native of La Mesa, Calif. and he prepped at Helix High School.

Running backs coach Eric Bienemy played running back for the Chargers from 1991-94. He was a member of the Bolts’ AFC Champion squad in 1994.

vCash
    Oh, and please no injuries for either team. The Chargers can afford none at all... so if you could please ask your D to dial it back a little... thanks!

vCash
    This should be a good game. I see the Chiefs winning at home in a close game.
    45 __ Raef LaFrentz __ 45
    Kansas Jayhawks 94-98 / Dallas Mavericks 01-03
    "This is the place to be. This is the team of the future. Last year we fell short of our long-term goal. But we're young and going to have a large window. I feel good to be a part of it." - Raef LaFrentz Feb. 2002

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMCII View Post
    This should be a good game. I see the Chiefs winning at home in a close game.
    I too see the Chiefs winning... I just hope I'm wrong and live in hope

vCash
    C'mon Chiefs fans, there used to be a few of you?

Your a good team with good fans, wth are ya?

vCash
    Chiefs fan, I just dropped by to wish you well for 2014.

You seem to have a great nucleus for next season, I've always respected the chiefs and g/l guys.

vCash
    Thanks, realize most of the Chiefs fans on here got banned so the few of us left post over in the NFL forum now. This place is basically a ghost town.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!