Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bourjos and Grichuk Traded to the Cardinals for David Freese and Fernando Salas

1:33pm: Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets that while Bourjos and Freese are the primary players in the deal, a couple other pieces are involved as well.

1:19pm: The Cardinals have acquired Peter Bourjos from the Angels, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports that David Freese will head to the Angels in the deal. Other pieces could be involved in the deal, though that's not yet known at this time.

Bourjos, who turns 27 at the end of Spring Training, is a defensive wizard in center field that owns a career .251/.306/.398 batting line. He slashed .274/.333/.377 in an injury-shortened season after being hit by a pitch on the wrist and requiring surgery. He also posted an impressive .271/.327/.438 batting line with 12 homers and 22 steals in 2011, showing off that he's capable of being a plus offensive player in a full season as well. The speedster has a career 20.2 UZR/150 rating in more than 2,600 innings in center field. MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projected a $1.1MM salary for Bourjos in 2014.

Freese, 30, had a down season at the plate in 2013, slashing .262/.340/.381 with just nine homers. He was significantly better in 2012, when he belted 20 homers and batted .293/.372/.467 in 144 games. Freese is typically regarded as a solid defender at third base, but both The Fielding Bible and Ultimate Zone Rating graded his work poorly this season. Freese began the season on the DL with a back strain, and if that pain lingered throughout the season, it could explain his decline on both sides of the game. Swartz projects Freese to earn $4.4MM in 2014.

The Angels had a clear need at third base after trading Alberto Callaspo to the A's last July, and the Cardinals were in the market for a defensive upgrade from Jon Jay, whose center field defense has grade out as a negative over the course of his career. In that sense, the two sides line up well for a trade, though Freese comes with just two years of team control compared to Bourjos' three. He also has a significantly higher salary, so it would stand to reason, in my opinion, that the Angels are receiving another prospect in the deal.
    @Ken_Rosenthal: #Angels getting Salas along with Freese from #STLCards. Freese and Salas for Bourjos and Grichuk.
    Not sure how I feel about Grichuk being in this deal
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    CF Trout
    RF Calhoun
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton
    DH Trumbo
    2B Kendrick
    3B Freese
    C Conger
    SS Aybar

That's how I would have it for now (until Trumbo/Kendrick traded)

CL Frieri
    SU De La Rosa
    SU Burnett
    MR Kohn
    MR Salas
    MR Jepsen
    LR

vCash
    @JeffFletcherOCR: Grichuk, Angels No. 2 prospect becomes Cards No. 10, according to @johnmanuelba: @BenBadlerCarson

@JeffFletcherOCR: David Freese has 2 years of control left. He'll make about $4M in arbitration this year. Bourjos would have made about $1.5M. Fernando Salas is a first time arb eligible. Presumably make about $800-$1M.

vCash
    Not what I wanted. Dammit.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Not what I wanted. Dammit.
    cheer up you have salas!

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Hopefully Freese can have a season near what he did in 2012 and Salas can be a solid part of the bullpen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt05 View Post
    cheer up you have salas!
    I prefer guacamole.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Ugh this trade looks bad, at least we have a stop gap until Cowhart is ready.

vCash
    Here are my thoughts on the trade

I like Bourjos a lot. Aside from his one full season in 2011 he either wasn't given an opportunity or wasn't healthy. He wouldn't have been a starter, here, in 2014. It would have been his third straight year coming off the bench/injured. He would have pretty much no value after the 2014 season.

Freese is one year removed from being a 4.0 WAR player. The season before he would have easily put up a 3+ WAR if he had not gotten injured. He had a down year last year but his BABIP was about .30 points under his career average. He still posted a solid OBP. His defense was also bad following two good defensive years.

I also like Salas. He was very good in 2011. He has been injured the last 2 season, but when he has pitched he has been solid.

We definitely gave up too much in this deal. Bourjos for Freese was close to equal in my book, still favoring the Cards because they get an extra year of Bourjos. I just don't understand giving them Grichuk too. Grichuk has major question marks, but he is still a solid prospect. Bourjos for Freese slightly favored the Cards, and in no way does Salas equal Grichuk.

vCash
    I also think that this leads to Kendrick being traded for pitching and Trumbo staying, and honestly with the question marks surrounding Pujols' healthy it's good to have Trumbo around. Trading Trumbo/Aybar creates a hole that would need to be filled. Trading Kendrick doesn't. Kendrick probably has the most value as well.

CF Trout
    RF Calhoun
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton
    DH Trumbo
    3B Freese
    C Conger
    2B Green/Lindsey
    SS Aybar

CL Frieri
    SU De La Rosa
    SU Burnett
    MR Kohn
    MR Salas
    MR Jepsen
    LR Blanton/Shoemaker/Other

I wouldn't mind trading Jepsen with Kendrick and then signing a relief pitcher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    I also think that this leads to Kendrick being traded for pitching and Trumbo staying, and honestly with the question marks surrounding Pujols' healthy it's good to have Trumbo around. Trading Trumbo/Aybar creates a hole that would need to be filled. Trading Kendrick doesn't. Kendrick probably has the most value as well.

CF Trout
    RF Calhoun
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton
    DH Trumbo
    3B Freese
    C Conger
    2B Green/Lindsey
    SS Aybar

CL Frieri
    SU De La Rosa
    SU Burnett
    MR Kohn
    MR Salas
    MR Jepsen
    LR Blanton/Shoemaker/Other

I wouldn't mind trading Jepsen with Kendrick and then signing a relief pitcher
    I still have a funny feeling that Trout will be batting 3rd

vCash
    I feel like we're watching a car wreck in slow motion.
    Visit my Blog.

vCash

Seriously ?? We gave up way too much for Freese!! Jiminez playing 3b everyday would have been just fine. Bourjos and Grichuck couldnt bring back a decent starter? SMH at Dipoto AGAIN
    Angels::
    Lakers:
    Rams:::
    OSU Beavers (Football):

vCash
    i THOUGHT dIPOTO WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HIGHLY ANALYTICAL!!!? How in the world did he come to this conclusion based on any data driven reasoning?? This seems liek the casual baseball fans dream move. David Freese is girtty and clutch type logic
    Angels::
    Lakers:
    Rams:::
    OSU Beavers (Football):

vCash
    Wow. This is a pretty terrible deal. It's debatable whether Freese was even worth Bourjos straight up and we end up trading Bourjos and our second best prospect for Freese and some crappy reliever who likely won't amount to anything good. A huge overpay for someone who posted a negative WAR last year. How spectacular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast