Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Grigson,,the good bad and ugly

With the exception of the Richardson comment, I agree here. Until we get a real offensive line Richardson will struggle......oh and until we get ride of Hamilton.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of Ryan Grigson via www.coltsauthority.com

Shared via Team Stream by Bleacher Report

Download Team Stream for free to get real-time, breaking news for your favorite teams on your iPhone, iPad, Android, or Kindle Fire

Sent from my iPad

vCash
    Full article:

I'm a fan of Ryan Grigson, on the whole. He made a lot of good moves last year and whilst I didn't like free agency or the draft this time, I do still think he's a good general manager. However, as with all GM's in the NFL, Grigson has made his fair share of bad and ugly moves during his reign in Indianapolis.
    The Good

Trading for Vontae Davis: His first season was a little up and down, but bar two bad games against Houston and St. Louis, Davis has been excellent this season. A 2nd round pick looked a little steep at the time, but his play in 2013 certainly merits a new contract. There is still some work to be done with Davis, but he's certainly one of the better corners in the NFL.
    Drafting Andrew Luck: This sounds a bit obvious, but hold on there. At the time of the draft, a lot of analysts were calling for Robert Griffin III to be the #1 pick, not Andrew Luck. Grigson ignored the Heisman hype over Griffin and chose Luck, and right now, it looks to be the perfect decision.
    Drafting Dwayne Allen: Does anybody not love Dwayne Allen? A fantastic blocker and receiver at tight end, Allen was an undoubted steal in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and he's also a very likeable character too. When the pick was made I can't say I was a fan, having seen us take Coby Fleener a round earlier, but it's now apparent why they made the move to get both.
    Trading up to draft T.Y. Hilton: I didn't even know who Hilton was in 2012 – it was my first draft as a fan and I wasn't as knowledgeable on the mid-round prospects – but Hilton has proven himself more than worthy of the third round selection. A danger to score whenever he gets the ball, Hilton will hopefully be part of this offense for years to come.
    Signing Jerrell Freeman from the CFL: Since being picked up from the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the CFL, Freeman has established himself as the best inside linebacker on the roster. A tackling machine, Freeman is Grigson's biggest find so far.

The Bad

The Jerry Hughes trade: I have some level of sympathy here. Hughes was given a chance under two regimes in Indy and never really impressed, at least not to the level he is in Buffalo. Grigson traded the 2010 first round pick for linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, who has been a huge disappointment, with just nine snaps in the last three games. Hughes on the other hand has six sacks and a bunch of QB pressures. It's easy to see why Grigson traded him, it just doesn't look great right now.
    Late round draft picks: I'm a fan of taking “damaged” players late on. In 2012 I wanted Alfonzo Dennard and Vontaze Burfict in the 7th round, and in 2013 the apple of my eye was Da'Rick Rogers, who is now a Colt after going undrafted. They all had talent, and with 6th/7th round picks, few make the roster anyway so I believe in taking a chance. Grigson's 6th/7th round picks so far have been LaVon Brazill (suspended for the first four games this season), Justin Anderson (IR again), Tim Fugger (cut before last season), Chandler Harnish (cut, then placed on practice squad), John Boyett (cut), Kerwynn Williams (cut) and Justice Cunningham (bouncing been active and practice rosters). It's not a huge deal, but maybe the Colts could do with more from their later picks.

The Ugly

Trent Richardson trade: I know, its early days but this has been an absolute disaster. Grigson gave up a first round pick for Richardson, who is averaging 2.8 yards per carry. That's not good enough, and the trade also meant A) They believed they needed to run to win, B) They thought running back was the biggest hole on the roster and C) that a first round pick for Richardson was too good to be true. So far, Grigson has been proven very wrong.
    Failing to improve the interior OL: Samson Satele and Mike McGlynn are STILL starting for the Colts, despite horrendous 2012 seasons. Grigson signed Donald Thomas, who unfortunately ended up on IR, whilst mid-round picks Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes have struggled with either performance or injury based issues. I was gutted when Chargers OG Louis Vasquez went to Denver, because he was a perfect fit for our offense. With the Broncos, Vasquez has yet to give up a sack or even a hit. What could've been...
    Overpaying free agents: I actually think Gosder Cherilus has had a good season. Laron Landry has played well when healthy and Ricky Jean Francois has been fairly solid. However, the contracts given to Greg Toler, Erik Walden and Darrius Heyward-Bey (admittedly only one year here) don't look great now. Toler is struggling with injuries and has been beaten regularly when he played, whilst Walden still isn't worth his 4 year, $16m contract despite a couple of decent displays.
    http://www.coltsauthority.com/2013-a...n-grigson.html

Something that was ignored was Re-Signing Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Full article:

http://www.coltsauthority.com/2013-a...n-grigson.html

Something that was ignored was Re-Signing Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis.
    Yup and how was Toler a bad signing? We have seen a huge difference with him out for God's Sake! Walden has helped a much improved run defense as well....

This team is 7-3 after losing 4 starters and one key reserve by week 8! 4 of the 5 are at skill positions! And guess what???????????? THEY ARE IN VERY GOOD SHAPE TO GET A TOP PLAYOFF SEED!!!!!!!!!! Yup, just a terrible job of fixing a 2-14 team...fire his ***
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Something that was ignored was Re-Signing Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis
    Agreed. Also ignored was letting Powers go who is playing fairly well in his new home.
    Last edited by TheVicster; 11-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Yup and how was Toler a bad signing? We have seen a huge difference with him out for God's Sake! Walden has helped a much improved run defense as well....

This team is 7-3 after losing 4 starters and one key reserve by week 8! 4 of the 5 are at skill positions! And guess what???????????? THEY ARE IN VERY GOOD SHAPE TO GET A TOP PLAYOFF SEED!!!!!!!!!! Yup, just a terrible job of fixing a 2-14 team...fire his ***
    C'mon man. I have a lot more respect for your opinion than that. How was Toler a bad signing. Let's start with the fact that he's missed nearly half the season.

Let's finish with the fact that even when on the field he's played poorly at times and gotten torched. Not all the time but at times.

Walden? Can't say that I'm impressed.

I'm sorry that I'm not a big Grigson fan like some of you are (not really, lol). But he has just as many misses so far as hits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    C'mon man. I have a lot more respect for your opinion than that. How was Toler a bad signing. Let's start with the fact that he's missed nearly half the season.

Let's finish with the fact that even when on the field he's played poorly at times and gotten torched. Not all the time but at times.

Walden? Can't say that I'm impressed.

I'm sorry that I'm not a big Grigson fan like some of you are (not really, lol). But he has just as many misses so far as hits.
    I never said he didn't have misses...ahem, Freeney????? He should have been shown the door last year and the cap space could have been used for players that better fit the new systems.

If you can't see that the entire pass defense has taken a step back with Toler out, I suggest re-watching

Walden has definitely helped the run defense by setting the edge....that can't be ignored despite his bone head head butt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Walden has definitely helped the run defense by setting the edge....that can't be ignored despite his bone head head butt
    Funny thing is, I don't even fault him for that.

I don't believe he intentionally headbutted a guy without a helmet. I think it just happenned in the heat of the moment and the suspension is undeserved.

And yes, the secondary is better with Toler in there. But no team can afford to have a player on the roster who misses half the games. Wasn't that always the issue with Sanders? Doesn't matter if you play well if you don't play half the time. That alone makes him a bad signing, TO DATE
    Last edited by TheVicster; 11-22-2013 at 11:09 AM.

vCash
    Just noticing that you say you can't afford to have someone like Toler and his injuries but also said it should be taken into account as a negative that Powers was let go and playing well...Powers who has never played more than 12 games in a season his first 4 years.

vCash
    Lol, yup.....Powers went on the IR every year as a Colt. While I agree Toler's injury status does somewhat negate his performance I still like the signing. I like the signing of Landry as well despite the time he has missed. RJF has played very well and is very versatile. Franklin is a man in the middle. Thomas, if 100 percent, will prove his worth next year. DHB was worth the risk at the price he was paid but much like the hot girl in school that doesn't put out...is only a tease.

While not all the moves have worked more have than haven't and the mere fact that this injury plagued team is 7-3 is a testament to just that...imvho.

vCash
    After skimming through the article, I think this is pretty poorly written and have a few problems with it. Before I begin, I am in no way calling Grigson a God...

1) He's jumping the ship way too early with Richardson throwing him in the ugly category. Regardless of the trade, Richardson is still a year out of college. I'm not defending him either, but to call him a bust or a waste is too early IMO...

2) The late round draft picks comment irks me (under bad). He mentions players he would have taken (Burficit and Dennard) who are, ironically, having decent seasons thus far. Go back to Polian's tenure and the players who stand out among the rest are Hunter Smith, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, and Pierre Garcon as the top 3. IMO it's unfair to criticize a GM for not getting his 3rd day picks right when the average life-span of someone in the NFL is 3ish years.

I won't go into much further detail...if you want me to I will...but I just think this guy's way of analyzing Grigson is poor.

#iubb

vCash
    Also forgot to mention the Darius Butler signing. Grigson did great rebuilding our secondary.. which is the strength of Pagano coached D's.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Though I would like to mention that Grigson failed to get secondary insurance. I mean, He knew that Vontae was coming off an injury year, and he signs an injury prone Toler, yet he didn't sign anyone to back up those signings. It's looking like Toler and Davis could miss this Sunday's game which would leave Butler/Vaughn as the starting corners. I think Grigson needed to sign an additional CB this last offseason.
    #3in5

<3