Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Yankees Classic On YES Shows Why Cano Is Not Worth 300 Million

Robinson Cano vs Jake McGee

Runners on 1st and 2nd nobody out tied 5-5 bottom of the 9th.

Strike 1

Strike 2

Strike 3 Looking

Alfonso Soriano promptly lines the next pitch in his AB up the middle for the Walk Off single.

vCash
    He's not worth 300 million but I don't think one at bat should dictate a players salary. That's just silly.

vCash
    So what you're saying is Sorinao is worth 300 million?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    So what you're saying is Sorinao is worth 300 million?
    Clearly.

vCash
    Let's talk about Cano's postseason performance in 2012.

vCash
    who cares about his post season, hes not worth 300 million because hes not a superstar and he doesnt carry a team and he doesnt bring people to watch games like jeter and arod do, so theres no reason that justifies paying cano as a superstar

vCash
    Here is the thing. No one here is saying Cano is worth 300 million. Other then Cano saying it no one in all of baseball thinks he is worth it other then his agent or course, because the more Cano gets the more he gets. And there is already a thread on him wanting 300 million. But your logic based on one at bat or one post season doesn't hold much value as to a player being worth x amount of money. And I'm pretty sure almost no Yankee except Ibanez had a decent post season in 2012.
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 11-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.

vCash

Yankees Classic On YES Shows Why Cano Is Not Worth 300 Million

Yes. This one AB shows we should not re sign Cano under any circumstance

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    What's funny is that I saw part of one half inning of that game last night and Cano lined a single to left field and when the inning was over the score was tied at 5, so based on that at bat alone Cano is worth $400 million, because after all, the at bat that I saw and the one that you saw make him a .500 hitter.

vCash
    no one is worth 300 mil
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    no one is worth 300 mil
    Except for arod

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    no one is worth 300 mil
    Exactly. This is a ridiculous thread, but for the sake of argument I don't think there's ever been a $200+ mill contract that worked out reasonably well to it's completion. The first A-Rod contract (cheating notwithstanding) did, but that deal wasn't seen through to completion. Even if it had been, it would have been the exception and not the rule. Every other $200+ million deal has been to some degree a failure sooner rather than later. Albert Pujols, for example, hasn't lived up to his deal for a single season and is still very much in the early stages of that contract. Prince Fielder, to a lesser degree, has also failed to live up to his deal even in teh first couple of seasons.

According to Fangraphs WAR, from 2010 to 2013, Cano has been the second most valuable player in the league behind Miguel Cabrera. The margin is closer than you might think, with Cabrera compiling 27.3 WAR over that time and Cano compiling 25.4. Obviously, Cabrera destroys Cano in batting value, but gives back almost his entire advantage in positional value, fielding value, and base running value. For the record, Dustin Pedroia is 10th on the list at 20.5 WAR over the same time period. That's a difference of 4.9 WAR over that 4 year time period and if we assume that the average cost of a Win is $6 that means Cano has been worth $7.35 million more than Pedroia per season for that time period. Pedroia signed an 8 year $110 million extension back in July so if we assume that Pedroia is the best comparison to Cano based on age (Cano is one year older), position, and relative value than we're comparing Cano's next deal to that contract. For the sake of my comparisons I'm not doing any regression for aging for Cano, but rather assuming that Boston already took care of that with regard to Pedroia's contract. I'm also assuming that Cano is going to continue to perform at the same rate (1.225 Wins) above Pedroia's production, since after all this contract is based on what we believe Cano to be worth going forward, rather than what he's already been worth. We're also going to use 8 years as the time frame. I realize this is not as scientific as it could be, but it's a decent estimator. So, at a value of 1.225 Wins or $7.35 million more than Pedroia per season, Cano's 8 year deal should be worth $21.1 million per season or $168.8 million for 8 years. You could tinker with that slightly based on Cano being about a year older or Cano having a cleaner injury history than Pedroia, but overall it's a fair assessment I think. That deal would take Cano towards age 39, and while he probably still won't be worth his salary in the last year or two, you make up for it with value on the front end (Steamer projects Cano to produce a 5.4 WAR in 2014 being worth $32.4 million assuming $6 million per win.)

There are other factors at play such as the fact that traditonally second basemen don't age well, the fact that Cano clearly wants to increase his media exposure, marketing and endorsement deals and New York and specifically the Yankees are the best team to do that with, the fact that no mega contract in recent memory has worked out particularly well, and obviously the length of the term. If you go 7 years you probably need to up the AAV, if you go 9 years the total gets higher, etc. There's also a long standing practice of the player accepting a bit under market value in the first couple of years of the deal and a being a bit overpaid in the last couple years and the fact that the contract may be front or back loaded to accommodate this due to the fact that the AAV is what counts towards the luxury tax threshold. All in all though, I think 8 years and roughly $170 million (maybe $180 million) is a fair deal for both sides and probably what Cano will end up signing for be it here or elsewhere. The sad fact though is that baseball salaries are outrageous and eventually some player will get a $300 mega deal, though it won't be Cano (my money is on Miguel Cabrera and as good as he is I think that would be a mistake as well), but certainly not because of a single at bat in a single game...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Yes. This one AB shows we should not re sign Cano under any circumstance

If that's how it works, there's a lot of other players that shouldn't be re signed.... LOL!!!
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

vCash
    Of course you don't judge Cano based on one At Bat.

However that one At Bat DID show that NO ONE is worth 300 Million in this game, everyone fails.

Anyone who took this thread with anything but a grain of salt is lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skierdude44 View Post
    Awesome Stuff Went Here
    /Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast