Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

And now, turn your attention to 3B

There is a ton of options out there for 3B now that Dave swung the trade to open first base up. The first being Caberra staying at 3B which I do not see happening at all no matter what Tim Kirchen says. So here's the options as I see them:

1. Trade of a pitcher for a current thirdbaseman on a MLB roster: This would include my favorite choice, Chase Headley. He's a switch hitter that can hit for power, has speed, and plays average to above average in the field. Put him in the 6th spot and call it a day. He had a bit of a down year, which should lower the cost to a Porcello rather than a Fister maybe, but he can still play. Other vet options are Aramis Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, David Freese, and Brett Lowrie. All play for teams looking for pitching and all I have seen in the rumor mills. Could a Porcello or Fister bring them here? Two young guys that are very attractive options are Anthony Rendon from Washington and Nolan Arenado from Colorado. Both are highly touted so they will cost us probably a Fister and a prospect.

2. Minor leaguers ready for the show: Here's a couple guys that don't really have any MLB time yet but are ready to start in the MLB as soon as next year. All their teams need pitching and I am assuming that we are moving one no matter what so we can target these guys. Wilmer Flores (NYM), Ceasar Hernandez (Philly), Corey Seager (LAD), and Jace Peterson (SD).

3. Finally the FA group or should I say the FA: The only FA thirdbaseman worth a darn for me is Jose Uribe and that's only if he isn't serious about a 3 year contract. I'd sign him on a one with a following year option but no way a 3 year deal.

So there you have it. An abundance of 3B options for Dave to shop for and move Miggy to 1B where he belongs. I hope Dave doesn't cater to Miggy's request to stay at 3B and can explain to him that in the long run it's better for him.

vCash
    Or Castellanos becomes the 3B

vCash
    Or that but he was horrible in the minors as a thirdbaseman that's why it didn't hurt much moving him to the OF. I forget what his errors were like but they were WAY up there. He wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Miggy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    There is a ton of options out there for 3B now that Dave swung the trade to open first base up. The first being Caberra staying at 3B which I do not see happening at all no matter what Tim Kirchen says. So here's the options as I see them:

1. Trade of a pitcher for a current thirdbaseman on a MLB roster: This would include my favorite choice, Chase Headley. He's a switch hitter that can hit for power, has speed, and plays average to above average in the field. Put him in the 6th spot and call it a day. He had a bit of a down year, which should lower the cost to a Porcello rather than a Fister maybe, but he can still play. Other vet options are Aramis Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, David Freese, and Brett Lowrie. All play for teams looking for pitching and all I have seen in the rumor mills. Could a Porcello or Fister bring them here? Two young guys that are very attractive options are Anthony Rendon from Washington and Nolan Arenado from Colorado. Both are highly touted so they will cost us probably a Fister and a prospect.

2. Minor leaguers ready for the show: Here's a couple guys that don't really have any MLB time yet but are ready to start in the MLB as soon as next year. All their teams need pitching and I am assuming that we are moving one no matter what so we can target these guys. Wilmer Flores (NYM), Ceasar Hernandez (Philly), Corey Seager (LAD), and Jace Peterson (SD).

3. Finally the FA group or should I say the FA: The only FA thirdbaseman worth a darn for me is Jose Uribe and that's only if he isn't serious about a 3 year contract. I'd sign him on a one with a following year option but no way a 3 year deal.

So there you have it. An abundance of 3B options for Dave to shop for and move Miggy to 1B where he belongs. I hope Dave doesn't cater to Miggy's request to stay at 3B and can explain to him that in the long run it's better for him.
    Castellanos?

Also the Dodgers are in desperate need of a 3Bman. If Seager were ready, which he's not, they'd use him at third.

vCash
    Or that but he was horrible in the minors as a thirdbaseman that's why it didn't hurt much moving him to the OF. I forget what his errors were like but they were WAY up there. He wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Miggy.
    He was passable as a 3B in the minors, Cabby is horrible as a 3B. It would be an upgrade and it would put the stress of the position on a younger body.

vCash
    I also think Jhonny has to be considered as a potential FA acquisition if they look outside of Cabby and Castellanos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I also think Jhonny has to be considered as a potential FA acquisition if they look outside of Cabby and Castellanos.
    Yea, I thought that but Dave kind of shut the door on that in his conference.

vCash
    Chase Headly is rumored to be available in a trade

I think they'll sign a guy like Beltran for the OF and the 5th spot and keep Nick C at 3rd.

vCash
    Yea, I thought that but Dave kind of shut the door on that in his conference.
    From his news conference:
    Dombrowski was asked if free agent Jhonny Peralta is back in the equation as a third baseman:
    "I don't know, I'm not really sure about that

He did continue to take ground balls at third base for us. He didn't play there. We have talked about the possibility of this happening and how would we handle it. We weren't anticipating it happening so quickly. He hadn't played third base that long either. I would think he could make the transition pretty quickly if that's what we decided to do, but we need to get a lot of people's feedback on that."

Sounds like a potentially open door to me.

vCash
    Miggy could stay at 3B adn the Tigers could give Jordan Lerranton a shot at 1B. He's a lefty power bat.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    I think it will be telling whether or not they go after a significant FA OF. Castellanos' bat is perceived to be ready and it seems the only reason to keep him in AAA is to hold off on him accruing ML time and possibly reacquainting him with 3B.

vCash
    While I understand all of the comments I think that ultimately the decision must be made based on the fact that Hunter and V Mart are only here through 2014. Therefore you have to consider 1.) that Fielder's $24M salary per year is essentially Max's extension; and I am hoping that is doesn't cost quite all $24M...but give him the extension now that Prince is gone. It ain't my money! 2.) Miggy's extension is essentially the money he is making now plus a small bump; maybe $25-26M per year for 4-5 years beyond 2015 and he is worth every penny, 3.) the $25M salary relief from V Mart and Hunter leaving after 2014 are the monies used to acquire another substantial bat this year.

While I understand hoog's desire for Headley, his 2012 season was a monster but his 2013 was a disaster, and he is a free agent after 2014. The Padres would do a deal around Porcello, I think, but personally I would prefer to deal Porcello for a package including Luke Gregerson and John Wieland over that of Headley. At the end of the day the risk on Headley (if I have one more bullet in my FA gun for a position player) is too great and there is no guarantee. I much prefer, despite his age, Carlos Beltran as he has proved time and time again that he can absolutely mash whether it be regular season or especially post season. He fits the bill in terms of years, in terms of money, in terms of a 5 spot switch hitter in the order, and in terms of covering LF for the next 2 seasons. Furthermore, he would not cost the entire $25M you get in relief of the Hunter and V Mart salaries so that you may go out and extend A Jax as well.

Castellanos is my pick for 3B despite the fact that I chuckled at his lack of defensive prowess in numerous games in West Michigan White Caps uniform. His stick projects to a 3B. LF, this year, has more options in the FA market.
    Last edited by T $$$; 11-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    They call me
    Mister Fister

2013 Regular Season stats:

(14-9)

32 GP, 32 GS, 1 CG, 207.2 IP, 228 H, 91 R, 85 ER, 14 HR, 44 BB, 158 K,

1.31WHIP, .281 BAA, 3.68 ERA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Miggy could stay at 3B adn the Tigers could give Jordan Lerranton a shot at 1B. He's a lefty power bat.
    Lennerton is an internal option but his additional makes the possible return of Dawn Kelly IMPOSSIBLE. Not to mention Lennerton is 27 years old...sounds kind of like a LH Mike Hessman to me. Over/under on the likelihood Lennerton being on the 25 man roster come opening day at 10%...I feel that even 10% is awfully generous.
    They call me
    Mister Fister

(14-9)

vCash
    You're probably right but it's still an option especially after they added him to he 40 man roster. If he has a good spring then he's on the 25 man roster. Prince's power left a huge void in our lineup since V-Mart's power is gone.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Keep in mind that 2014 V Mart will be the healthiest V Mart we have seen in three seasons. He should do fine.

I just don't see both Lennerton and Castellanos being on a 25 man roster together on a WS contender that's all. I think an infusion of a high end rookie with a good stick in the 6 or 7 hole would be a great compliment to the squad mixed with solid veteran talent. Not sure bringing in a 27 year old minor leaguer sets a good tone regardless of his ST.
    They call me
    Mister Fister

(14-9)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast