Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Superstitions: What are yours?

Superstition |ˌso͞opərˈstiSHən|

(noun)

• excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings
    • a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief

I posted in the Team Canada thread about some of my superstitions when it comes to being a Flyers fan. I thought it would be interesting to talk about different superstitions that we all have, or why you don't have any whatsoever.

I'm not normally one to believe in superstition. However, some very strange coincidences and events have happened when it comes to me buying Flyers jerseys, and it honestly freaks me out. Are they just coincidence? For sure. Does it make me superstitious? Bud Light nailed it..."it's only weird if it doesn't work."

For me, it comes down to Flyers jerseys and apparel. Here is my jersey history with the events that followed me receiving the jersey:

Eric Lindros: My dad won this jersey at a Beef and Beer event. Lindros was my favorite player and to this point I hadn't gotten a legitimate Flyers jersey. This turned out to be the beginning of what my dad and brother have deemed, the Jersey Curse. Not too long after I received this jersey Lindros was laid out by Scott Stevens. We all know the rest of the story.

Luca Sbisa: After the first lockout I experienced I struggled to get back into hockey. It was quite a few years later, but a Flyers playoff run got my love for hockey revamped. A couple seasons later a young defenseman for the Flyers caught my eye. His name was Luca Sbisa. The Lindros jersey was the only jersey I had, so I decided to get another one. For Christmas I received a Luca Sbisa jersey from my dad. Almost exactly six months later Sbisa was part of the package the Flyers sent to Anaheim for Chris Pronger.

Mike Richards: A year and a half later and not having a relevant Flyers jersey I decided to get another. I asked my dad to get me one for Christmas. He asked what player I wanted, and I wasn't entirely sure. I told him either Mike Richards or Jeff Carter, preferably Winter Classic. I figured they were safe from the Jersey Curse as they had both recently signed ridiculously long extensions. Christmas morning my dad handed me two packages, one marked with a "C" and one with an "R". He said I could pick one and the other would be sent back. Continue on to next jersey...

Jeff Carter: While holding both packages in my hands, I chose Carter. We then proceeded to lose the Winter Classic. The following off-season both Carter and Richards were traded within 5 minutes of each other.

Jaromir Jagr: The Flyers were playing in the Winter Classic against the Rangers and it only made sense to get a jersey. By a miracle we got tickets to the game, so it was obvious that I had to get a jersey. When deciding what player my first thought was Giroux. However, it was literally impossible to find a Giroux WC jersey and have it in time for the game. So I settled on Jagr. I figured it was the only chance I may have to get his name on a Flyers jersey, and it was fitting that it was the Winter Classic. During the game Jagr left with a lower-body injury and didn't play during the third period with the exception of maybe a shift or two. The rest of the season Jagr was nagged by injuries that kept him out of the lineup frequently, and he was not resigned during the off-season.

Since then I have not bought a jersey, and I don't know if I ever will again. Not only that, but have an atrocious record when I go to games wearing a jersey, as well as a terrible record when I wear anything to do with the Flyers. Most recently I have gone to two games. I live in Virginia so I really only get to go when I go home for the holidays. I went to the Hurricanes game at the beginning of the season. I wore my Jagr jersey. The next day, after suffering a terrible loss, Peter Laviolette was fired the next day. I then went to the Edmonton game while I was home for a weekend. I wore nothing to do with the Flyers. No jersey, no shirt, no hat, not even the color orange. That was the game Giroux scored his first of the year and to this point has been the Flyers turning point of the season, going 4-0-1 in their last 5 scoring 18 goals. Also, the only game in which I wore anything to do with the Flyers was the game against Winnipeg...the only loss since that Edmonton game.

Anyone has have weird superstitions or strange coincidences with their favorite team?

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Whenever I have people over to my place for the Leafs games.... "Leafs Parties" as I call them - Everyone HAS to be wearing a leafs jersey or at least all blue and white clothes. No one is allowed to bash the Leafs and no body can cheer for the opposing team. Only good vibes allowed in my basement!

I havent had the bad luck you've had lol but I usually try to go all out whenever I go to a Leafs game... they are few and far betwen due to the fact that it costs triple what any other arena charges to go to a game.
    But usually I wear a blue/white leafs wig, paint my face, wear a jersey (usually Phaneuf) and if they let me, I bring in my big leafs flag. They arent allowing them now because the wooden stick can be used as a weapon *rolls eyes*
    Sort of the opposite of you - you dont wear a jersey, i try to wear as much Leafs apparel as I can and cheer as loud as possible; get the crowd going. Every Leafs game they have something called the "AMJ campbell move of the game" or something along those lines. They take 2 fans from the upper bowl and move them first row right against the glass - My friend and I won this once when the Canadiens were in town.... So our enthusiasm paid off, even if it was just one time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    Superstition |ˌso͞opərˈstiSHən|

(noun)

• excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings
    • a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief

I posted in the Team Canada thread about some of my superstitions when it comes to being a Flyers fan. I thought it would be interesting to talk about different superstitions that we all have, or why you don't have any whatsoever.

I'm not normally one to believe in superstition. However, some very strange coincidences and events have happened when it comes to me buying Flyers jerseys, and it honestly freaks me out. Are they just coincidence? For sure. Does it make me superstitious? Bud Light nailed it..."it's only weird if it doesn't work."

For me, it comes down to Flyers jerseys and apparel. Here is my jersey history with the events that followed me receiving the jersey:

Eric Lindros: My dad won this jersey at a Beef and Beer event. Lindros was my favorite player and to this point I hadn't gotten a legitimate Flyers jersey. This turned out to be the beginning of what my dad and brother have deemed, the Jersey Curse. Not too long after I received this jersey Lindros was laid out by Scott Stevens. We all know the rest of the story.

Luca Sbisa: After the first lockout I experienced I struggled to get back into hockey. It was quite a few years later, but a Flyers playoff run got my love for hockey revamped. A couple seasons later a young defenseman for the Flyers caught my eye. His name was Luca Sbisa. The Lindros jersey was the only jersey I had, so I decided to get another one. For Christmas I received a Luca Sbisa jersey from my dad. Almost exactly six months later Sbisa was part of the package the Flyers sent to Anaheim for Chris Pronger.

Mike Richards: A year and a half later and not having a relevant Flyers jersey I decided to get another. I asked my dad to get me one for Christmas. He asked what player I wanted, and I wasn't entirely sure. I told him either Mike Richards or Jeff Carter, preferably Winter Classic. I figured they were safe from the Jersey Curse as they had both recently signed ridiculously long extensions. Christmas morning my dad handed me two packages, one marked with a "C" and one with an "R". He said I could pick one and the other would be sent back. Continue on to next jersey...

Jeff Carter: While holding both packages in my hands, I chose Carter. We then proceeded to lose the Winter Classic. The following off-season both Carter and Richards were traded within 5 minutes of each other.

Jaromir Jagr: The Flyers were playing in the Winter Classic against the Rangers and it only made sense to get a jersey. By a miracle we got tickets to the game, so it was obvious that I had to get a jersey. When deciding what player my first thought was Giroux. However, it was literally impossible to find a Giroux WC jersey and have it in time for the game. So I settled on Jagr. I figured it was the only chance I may have to get his name on a Flyers jersey, and it was fitting that it was the Winter Classic. During the game Jagr left with a lower-body injury and didn't play during the third period with the exception of maybe a shift or two. The rest of the season Jagr was nagged by injuries that kept him out of the lineup frequently, and he was not resigned during the off-season.

Since then I have not bought a jersey, and I don't know if I ever will again. Not only that, but have an atrocious record when I go to games wearing a jersey, as well as a terrible record when I wear anything to do with the Flyers. Most recently I have gone to two games. I live in Virginia so I really only get to go when I go home for the holidays. I went to the Hurricanes game at the beginning of the season. I wore my Jagr jersey. The next day, after suffering a terrible loss, Peter Laviolette was fired the next day. I then went to the Edmonton game while I was home for a weekend. I wore nothing to do with the Flyers. No jersey, no shirt, no hat, not even the color orange. That was the game Giroux scored his first of the year and to this point has been the Flyers turning point of the season, going 4-0-1 in their last 5 scoring 18 goals. Also, the only game in which I wore anything to do with the Flyers was the game against Winnipeg...the only loss since that Edmonton game.

Anyone has have weird superstitions or strange coincidences with their favorite team?
    Love this idea, and your jersey story lol

vCash
    Use to be when I was a kid.. Not anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Use to be when I was a kid.. Not anymore
    you've changed....

vCash
    What's been happening in the wings forum a lot if the wings/player does well right after I bash them. It hasn't worked lately though
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWings13 View Post
    What's been happening in the wings forum a lot if the wings/player does well right after I bash them. It hasn't worked lately though
    Bash the hell out of Dats and Z for me tonight then. Need some serious fantasy points.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    See, I can never do that because they so rarely don't play great.
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

vCash
    Before Seguin was traded I'd put my Seguin jersey on 19 minutes before the game. When the playoffs role around I sat at my computer (in the living room) with my Rask jersey on, one of his GU sticks and a bottle of water.

OneMan's trying to steal Orpik from me

vCash
    When the Wings scored in overtime of the 2008 playoffs, I was oddly enough wearing my girl's panties. Since then, I put those on every single time before overtime in the playoffs.

vCash
    I ain't got no superstition. The Islanders been sucking, and continue to suck, since my existence. At least I can say they are consistent at something.

vCash
    I'm not really that superstitious. If the Leafs win, the Leafs win. If they lose, they lose. Sounds stupid I know, but just all about the players and coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    When the Wings scored in overtime of the 2008 playoffs, I was oddly enough wearing my girl's panties. Since then, I put those on every single time before overtime in the playoffs.
    I love you Bran

vCash
    Haha lol bran

Send them to me if the devils make the playoffs I'll wear the fk out of em

vCash
    On ice I always put black tape on my blade, white for the knob, didnt have any black one night and taped the blade with white and took a puck in the face losing 4 teeth and getting 34 stiches in the first minute of the game......I make sure I have both colors now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast