Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should be back next year?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brick

0 0%
  • Winters

0 0%
  • Mangold

0 0%
  • Colon

0 0%
  • Howard

2 100.00%
    vCash

Jets Offensive Line

I see a lot of people that like our line & don't feel like its a priority to upgrade it.

I say DA ***?!

I think we are mistaking a lack of gaping holes on the Oline for a strong Oline. What we have is very average, at best!

Jets are 3rd worst in the league with a 10.1% Sack percentage
    Tied worst in 2012 with 8.7%
    2011 - 21st 6.8%
    2010 - 8th 5.1%

Brick and Mangold are still good players but they cannot be the anchors of a top 5 offensive line anymore.

We replaced Hunter with Austin Howard and while he might not be a revolving door at RT would you even consider him top 15-20?

I know some of you are going to say Geno holds the ball but the problems persisted last year as well and you can't tell me watching the games that Geno has a great deal of time to throw. For every one he holds onto for too long he probably gets away from another would-be tackler.

I don't know if Geno is the answer at QB but the Jets need to be spending their picks on offensive depth all over before QB or we'll be taking 4 years to evaluate every QB we draft.

If the Jets can somehow find a center over the next year and a half good enough to push Mangold to LG this team can lead the league in rushing again.
    **** justin verlander and **** colin hanks for kind of looking like him.

vCash
    Finally someone who agrees with me. I don't understand why people on this forum think this offensive line is even above average. It's a mediocre unit at best with a BUNCH of underlying problems that are gonna be very tough to fix. The fact that Chris Ivory is even rushing for 4.4 YPC behind this O-Line is extremely impressive to me.

To start off, this offensive line is likely bottom 3 in terms of rush blocking. It's terrible. It has only shown up for one game against NO who really does not have a good rush defense. Mangold has been REALLY bad in terms of rush blocking. In fact, Mangold's been pretty mediocre as a whole. He's making top 3 Center money and he's playing like a bottom 8 center. No one wants to admit it, but it's true.

The problem isn't just all Mangold. Winters/Ducasse duo has been extremely bad. Winters has just struggled mightily all year. Colon at the other Guard position hasn't been great either. He hasn't been terrible, but don't let his tenacity confuse you, he's just average at best.

Couldn't really tell you what's wrong with D'Brick. He's had so many off and on seasons of the past 3 years. I don't really think he's benefited at all from having Winters play next to him.

I actually disagree with you about Howard. Howard's actually a very strong, young RT. He's actually improved a lot in pass protection.

Bottom line is, this is a bottom 8 offensive line at the very least. We better hope Winters improves or we're gonna have to either address the G position in either FA or the draft.

So to answer your question, I'd say:

-Howard definitely deserves to stay and start next year
    -Ferguson's body of work warrants him a starting job next year
    -Mangold will start next year only because he's got a large contract (but we should try to restructure it)
    -Guard positions are up in the air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets012 View Post
    So to answer your question, I'd say:

-Howard definitely deserves to stay and start next year
    -Ferguson's body of work warrants him a starting job next year
    -Mangold will start next year only because he's got a large contract (but we should try to restructure it)
    -Guard positions are up in the air.
    What about Mangold -> Guard long term? Might not be feasible within the next 9 months depending on whats available

Agreed on Ferguson, can't tell what it is because sometimes he is amazing and sometimes he's overwhelmed. I don't think he *needs* help from the LG, but when the LG needs help from Brick it gets to be too much and he gets disheveled.

If you had Mangold between Brick & a mauling center with Howard on the other side, they could stick either Winters or Colon there and it could be a great line again.

Maybe 1 guy helps everything else fall together and gets us to where 'sum of the parts is greater than the whole'. Right now I think its the opposite, the sum of the parts looks OK but the execution isn't there.

vCash

Jets Offensive Line

Really dislike the line. Don't understand why we just let Slauson and Moore go after the years they had. Moore I guess I understand because of age but overall, it was confusing.

Mangold should be someone we look into releasing if it frees up enough space. Or trade him if people go off name recognition. Because he's not what he was. He's been in decline for a bit now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    Really dislike the line. Don't understand why we just let Slauson and Moore go after the years they had. Moore I guess I understand because of age but overall, it was confusing.

Mangold should be someone we look into releasing if it frees up enough space. Or trade him if people go off name recognition. Because he's not what he was. He's been in decline for a bit now
    Somebody posted a little while back that it was the Ravens game in '11 when we officially lost Sanchez

IMO thats the game we officially lost the line. Mangold missed the game and I don't think he's been the same since, and Brick had the worst game of his career with Moore trying to bail out the backup C (cant remember his name) most of the game.

Any love for Mangold at G? Salary notwithstanding, assume he restructures his deal

vCash
    The Bills literally knocked Geno on his *** every time he dropped back. That's not good considering it's the BILLS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    The Bills literally knocked Geno on his *** every time he dropped back. That's not good considering it's the BILLS.
    Their team sucks but the Bills have a nasty defensive line.

vCash
    I believe that D'Brick and NMangold are trying their best to cover the LG spot, because BWinters has been completely overmatched and looks lost many times.

WColon would be fine if he could escape the damn penalties. They seem to throw about 3 flags on him per game, take away those flags and he's been fairly good. Those flags are brutalizing the offense that needs every yard it can get.

The Jets are the most penalized team in the league and their OLine is leading the way, one reason Geno throws many ints is because teams are sitting on the pass on 2 and long and 3rd and long. The OLine MUST not only protect Geno from getting hit, they must protect him by not giving up wasteful penalty yardage.

I don't think the OLine is in that bad of shape, but they DEFINITELY need to improve their play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Somebody posted a little while back that it was the Ravens game in '11 when we officially lost Sanchez

IMO thats the game we officially lost the line. Mangold missed the game and I don't think he's been the same since, and Brick had the worst game of his career with Moore trying to bail out the backup C (cant remember his name) most of the game.

Any love for Mangold at G? Salary notwithstanding, assume he restructures his deal
    I remember that post because I think I may have been the one to post something about it. Its not when we lost Sanchez I don't think but it's the last time he played fearless.

Mangold has been going downhill since about that time, I would agree. He was average last year and this year he's significantly below it. In 2010 he was solid.