Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sox fill out 40-man roster; Vitek, Carpenter, Kurcz exposed to Rule V draft

The Red Sox, as expected, have added outfielder Bryce Brentz, infielder Garin Cecchini, and righthander Anthony Ranaudo to the 40-man roster.

Brentz, 24, was a supplemental first-round pick in 2010. He hit .264 with 17 homers and 56 RBIs in 82 games for Triple A Pawtucket after recovering from an accidental gunshot wound to his left leg. Brentz, a righthanded hitter, has 71 home runs over four seasons in the minors.

Cecchini, 22, hit .322 with a .914 OPS over 129 games for Single A Salem and Double A Pawtucket. He is a career .312 hitter in the minors after being selected in the fourth round of the 2010 draft.

Cecchini suffered a knee injury before his senior year in high school and fell in the draft as a result. The Red Sox gambled by signing him to a $1.3 million bonus, and it has so far paid off.

Ranaudo, 24, was 11-5 with a 2.96 earned run average in 25 appearances (24 starts) for Portland and Pawtucket. He was a supplemental first-round pick in 2010 as well.

Cecchini and Ranaudo were in the All-Star Futures Games last season.

The 40-man roster is now at 39. That will change over the course of the winter as the Sox add free agents or obtain players via trade or waivers.

Those veteran minor leaguers not on the 40-man roster are now subject to the Rule 5 Draft Dec. 12. If a player is selected by another team, he must remain on the roster all season or be offered back to the Red Sox. The Red Sox lost righthanders Josh Fields (Astros) and Ryan Pressly (Twins) in the Rule 5 Draft last season.

Notable players left unprotected included 2010 first-round pick Kolbrin Vitek, an infielder whose on-base skills at Ball State have not translated to the professional ranks.

The Sox also passed on adding righthnded relievers Chris Carpenter and Aaron Kurcz, the compensation from the Chicago Cubs for the departure of former general manager Theo Epstein in 2011.
    Boston.com

vCash
    I hope we don't trade these guys

vCash
    Vitek ended up being such a waste in one of the deepest drafts I can remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Noah Syndergaard Taken after Vitek and Brentz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Noah Syndergaard Taken after Vitek and Brentz.
    Believe we also passed on Castellanos and Yelich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    You're confusing it with the 2011 draft which easily was the most talented draft since 2005. I find lamenting over past draft choices pointless, no one is going to hit on every pick. Vitek wasn't even our main target that year, he was just the slot guy to satisfy Bud Selig. They paid huge money for Ranaudo, and big money on Cechhini. We made out well that year.