Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Terrence Jones the answer at PF?

So, pretty much all the talk about this team since the deal for Howard took place has been how the Rockets were going to swing Asik for a starting PF with range. It was clear after watching the Howard/Asik duo fail as a front court that PF was the biggest hole on this team, and it seemed inevitable that Asik would be dealt once Morey could find a suitable PF to swing him for.

However, fast forward a few games and insert Terrence Jones into the lineup and something miraculous is happening: Houston is winning games and playing superior basketball.

Jones is now coming off his fifth start with the Rockets, and his numbers over those five games have been pretty impressive. He's averaging 12.2 points, 10 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.2 assists in only 32.4 minutes per game while shooting 53.2% from the floor, 57.1% beyond the arc and 58.3% from the free throw line (which obviously needs to improve). For the season, his 18.0 PER, 58.5% TS%, 15.9 TRB% and .174 WS/48 are all well above average for a starting PF in this league.

Last night, he had a career game against Boston with 24 points on 10-12 shooting, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks in only 27 minutes. He did a little bit of everything and was an absolute monster scoring the paint.

Now I'm well aware that this is a small sample size, and it's far too soon to assume that these numbers are going to continue. He certainly isn't going to put up 24/9 every night, and he's not going to shoot 57% on 3-pointers all season long. But I see no reason to believe he can't average 10/10/2 over the course of the season with solid efficiency as long as he keeps getting minutes. He's a solid jump shooter with 3-point range, he's extremely athletic and a great player to have in transition, has a phenomenal handle for a player his size, defends as well as almost any PF in the league and his defense looks drastically better than last season.

And even better, the Rockets' offense overall has looked a lot better since Jones came into the lineup. They're 4-1 in those games, haven't scored fewer than 109 points and shot better than 36% from the 3-point line three times, including 42.9% in back-to-back games.

So, am I crazy, or is this guy the answer for this team moving forward? He's only 21, his contract is totally reasonable and the Rockets can lock him down for less than $2.5 million through the 2015-16 season. Hell, I think this could even work out better than a trade for Anderson, Millsap or Thad, because he costs a fraction of their contracts and doesn't require the Rockets to deal a single valuable asset.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 11-20-2013 at 01:22 PM.

vCash
    totally agree. BTW, TJ seems beloved by his teammates, make everything easier. Go Rockets!

vCash
    Tonight will be a good test where he has to gaurd dirk. We will get a better understanding after tonight's game

vCash
    I'd like to see what he shoots the 3pt over the season. If he can shoot above 39%, I'd say he'd be just fine.

Also, right now nobody knows him, so the question is, will his defense and offense suffer when opposing PF's figure out his weaknesses?

Finally, he needs to change his haircut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    I'd like to see what he shoots the 3pt over the season. If he can shoot above 39%, I'd say he'd be just fine.

Also, right now nobody knows him, so the question is, will his defense and offense suffer when opposing PF's figure out his weaknesses?

Finally, he needs to change his haircut.
    Hell, he could shoot 33% from beyond the arc and still be a great option in this offense. You don't have to be a great 3-point shooter to spread the floor at PF. You just have to hit enough that defenses are afraid to leave you open on the perimeter.

I agree about the hair, though. I'm definitely not a fan.

vCash
    Well, if he hits 33% from 3, but 57% from in close, then I'd let him shoot the 3 all day long. Esp. if the Rockets as a whole have a (and I'm not sure about the calculation of this stat...) true shooting percentage over 50%. But I take your point, in the heat of a game, if he shoots as low as 33%, people will have to guard him a little bit, and that will give everyone else more room to operate.

My wife calls his haircut "a little worm".

(now if he can rebound like the worm, I'll take it!)

vCash
    I thinks its too soon to say but I really hope that he is.

vCash
    I was hoping he would step up last year but I'm thrilled with this last week of games from him. If DMo can step up and if Smith can continue to look good like he did against the Clippers, then having Asik will just be a luxury and improve his stock if/when he gets dealt in a few months/the offseason. I feel bad for him but he has to realize there were only a few guys in the league that the Rockets could have upgraded over him in the offseason and Dwight practically fell in their lap.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 11-20-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: I derped

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I was hoping he would step up last year but I'm thrilled with this last week of games from him. If DMo can step up and if Smith can continue to look good like he did against the Clippers, then having Asik will just be a luxury and improve his stock if/when he gets dealt in a few months/the offseason. I feel bad for him but he has to realize there were only a few guys in the league that the Rockets could have upgraded over him in the offseason and Dwight practically fell in their lap.
    Another thing to consider is that even if Jones doesn't quite play at the level the Rockets want him to, there's a chance he could improve his stock enough to turn into a sexy trade asset. A young PF showing potential combined with Asik could feasibly net the Rockets a pretty damn good PF in a trade. However, I'm hoping he's the guy and the Rockets don't have to deal him at all.

vCash
    18 last night. Dirk did drop 35 but everything was going in for him. He still makes some dumb plays, and he did some last night, he went for two or three Dirk's fakes and got called for fouls, but it's really tough to guard him. He'll learn.

I think he could be the answer and I'm sure hoping he is.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    He is definitely the best answer we have right now. I'm hoping we trade Asik for a defensive stopper. I want Ryan Kelly from the Lakers. He's a 6'11" stretch forward that can shoot 3's AND he plays good defense. He went to Duke so his fundamentals are sound. I think we can integrate Motiejunas, Jones, and Ryan Kelly into a solid 1-2-3 punch at PF.
    2014 PSD 7 RD NFL MOCK DRAFT
    TEXANS GM- WHITESOXGOD
    1st rd- Jadaveon Clowney, LB/DE, South Carolina
    1st rd (via trade)- Johnny Manziel, QB, TX A&M
    3rd rd- DaQuan Jones, NT, Penn State
    4th rd- Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    5th rd- Jon Halapio, OG, THE University of Florida
    5th rd (via trade)- Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
    6th rd- Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

vCash
    Kelly is not a better option than Jones. The guy was barely drafted in a weak draft and gets less than 4 minutes a game for a terrible lineup that is desperate for talent. If Kelly were any good, he'd be getting 20+ minutes a game in LA.

Jones, on the other hand, is coming off his fourth straight double-digit offensive performance with another unbelievable performance last night. Over the last five games, Jones is averaging 16/8/2/1 on 65/56/69 shooting percentages. The guy has been a beast, and his play as of late has me ecstatic about the possibility for the future of this team.

vCash
    I had a good feeling about Terrence Jones when he man handled Henson and Zeller one game I saw in college. Dude has handles for a PF as well. Nice all around game he had in college. He has been putting up very good numbers lately and I think he's your answer at the PF spot.

Lin can be one of the best sixth men so I'd try to trade Asik for a package of expirings including a solid backup C in there and a 1st round pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxGod View Post
    He is definitely the best answer we have right now. I'm hoping we trade Asik for a defensive stopper. I want Ryan Kelly from the Lakers. He's a 6'11" stretch forward that can shoot 3's AND he plays good defense. He went to Duke so his fundamentals are sound. I think we can integrate Motiejunas, Jones, and Ryan Kelly into a solid 1-2-3 punch at PF.
    Kelly doesnt even play for the Lakers... I dont want him on the Rockets and Im actually a huge Duke fan. How about that Duke football?

vCash
    I'm really liking what TJ brings on the defensive end, he's steady in their face and banging the boards. That's what we REALLY needed at the 4..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast