Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ericsson Contract Extension (Details have come out)

I thought everyone needed what may end up being good news.

"The Detroit Red Wings are close to signing defenseman Jonathan Ericsson to a multiyear contract extension, a source confirmed to MLive.com.

Bob McKenzie of tsn.ca reports that it will be a four- or five-year deal worth slightly more than $4 million per season."

Since the Wings had given Quincey 3.775 mil, it only seems reasonable and logical that Ericsson is going to get a raise. I hope they can get him signed more along the 4 mil mark because I'm sure Dekeyser is going to want a raise. He will be a RFA at the end of the season.

Anyone remember that not too awfully long ago getting rid of E would have been no big deal?

vCash
    Anything around 4 would be solid. The cap is also expected to go up. I'd be cool with giving Dekeyeser an Ericsson-esque deal. 3.5 for like 3-4 years.

vCash
    Very good news. A fair deal for a very solid player. I still get worried when I see him handle the puck in front of the net every once in a while though lol.

Now to get Dekeyser wrapped up. I'm thinking its actually good thing he's a FA this year. Get him his deal now before he reaches his true potential and then really skyrockets his value.

vCash
    Ericsson really has developed into a solid player. Im glad he did. This contract extension will be nice to keep the Wings blue line intact

vCash
    Someone should find the Jonathan Ericsson re-signs thread from three years ago. We were all pissed in there. I don't think there are many regulars here in PSD from when he re-signed. Anyway, 4M per at 3-5 years is perfect. I actually predicted 4M somewhere.

I'm with you LFL. I said I hope we give DeKeyser one of those Voynov, Hamonic, Hedman, etc type of deals. Like 6 years right now at 4M per. He may not be quite worth it now (I think he may actually) but during those stretch years we are robbing this kid blind.

Having a top 3 for under 15M is remarkable. Ericsson at 4ish, Kronwall at 4.7, and DeKeyser is going to be around 3M IMO. That's a great top three for such a cheap price.

vCash
    I'd be down with that too.
    You need centerman that can play two ways and if they donít play two ways in the end, you canít win, because the guy you are counting on canít get himself on the right side of the puck enough. So sure he can score, he can score but his team loses every night, I didnít know that was the objective. I thought winning was the objective. So if you centers canít play down the middle, and canít play without the puck, you have no chance.
    - Mike Babcock

vCash
    DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Jonathan Ericsson to a six-year contract extension worth $25.5 million.

The Red Wings' salary cap hit will be $4.25 million per season.

Ericsson, 29, is making $3.25 million this season, his sixth full campaign in the NHL.

In 15 games this season, Ericsson has one goal, four assists, 16 penalty minutes and a plus-3 rating.

The 6-foot-4, 221-pound Ericsson was the Red Wings' ninth-round pick (291st overall) in the 2002 NHL entry draft. He was the final player selected in the draft that year.

Ericsson could have become an unrestricted free agent in July.
    Only a million more per based on what he got this year is a nice deal for a guy who has vastly improved over the years. I'm glad to have him for the long haul.

Source: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....defense_1.html

vCash
    Fair deal for both sides.