Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Let's talk worst case.

I am of the opinion that we should try to win no matter what the scenario. As soon as Rodgers is healthy, put him in even if we are mathematically eliminated. I want the record to show that Rodgers lost two games this year. So for clarification, I am unequivocally against tanking. At the same time, it's fun to discuss worst case scenario. It's the future. It's exciting for many reasons.

So let's say worst case scenario we get a top ten draft pick. What do we do? I think this deserves its own thread because a lot of people are worried about this year and think it's a lost cause, so talking about the positives of a POSSIBLE (which I don't think likely) wasted year can get some positive vibes back, and we need positive vibes.

Do we get defense? Do we go offense to protect Rodgers or give him a lifelong target? I think we're all satisfied with RB now. If we go offense, what position? Defense? Is HaHa really top ten worthy? Is there a better safety option? Do we purge wasted money and get rid of Tramon, in which case we take a shutdown corner?

The Packers haven't had a top ten pick since Raji, and I hated the Raji pick. I would hate a defensive line selection more than anything given Thompson's track record with defensive linemen.

So discuss. Do some mini-mocks. Speculate. Does Raji come back? Do we get a new defensive coordinator? Is there multiple degrees of change? McCarthy is safe no matter what, and rightly so, but are words spoken about adaptation? Is there a radical clearing house of players that don't live up (Hawk, Tramon, Raji, Jennings / McMillian, Finley, Capers)...

Let's talk scenarios.

vCash
    I am not sure what we would take with out first pick. Just depends who falls to us. We need a TE, we need a safety, We could target a CB, maybe even another OLBer. I don't think we need to draft OL or RB. We could look into drafting a WR if Jones doesn't come back.

I don't think Raji will be back if he is indeed looking for anything close to 8 mil per year. I really like the way our DL is looking.

And i hope we go a different direction with the new D coordinator.

edit: I wouldn't mind draft a MLBer, a player like Skov would be awesome

vCash
    I'm of the opinion that if Rodgers misses the next two games, and we lose both of them, and theres risk involved in playing him in the next game that is unwarranted, I'm all for shutting it down.

Even if Rodgers does come back after thanksgiving and we're somehow able to win out, does anybody feel like this is a playoff defense? And I'm sorry, I want absolutely no chance of Capers getting more excuses. If it means we have to tank to get a new DC, then do it. We've wasted 3 years of AR's prime because of Capers. He should've been gone after 2011, and everybody game him all the excuses in the world but the defense hasn't really been much better. The offense not being as explosive as it was in 2011 has made more of a difference with the defense than anything else. Put simply, I don't care what it takes, I will accept nothing less than DC packing up and leaving town after our last game this year. Period.

As far as personnel moves, I think they need to be bold. Dump underperforming players. Trade them for 6th round picks if thats all you can get, but get rid of them. And I'm mainly referring to defense here, but a message needs to be sent that if you don't show up to perform, you won't be in town very long. Let Raji walk unless he wants to sign something like a 3 year, reasonably price and incentive based deal- play well, get paid well. Its working with Crosby right now. I'm all for paying people what they're worth, if they earn it. TW took the money and ran with it. Only bring him back if its for veteran minimum plus incentives to earn the rest of it back. Like I said, I'm all for giving him the rest if he earns it.

I think there needs to be some philosophical change in the coaching staff. I'm tired of our OL underperforming. I don't think we've always been that lacking in talent for that to explain it year after year. Dump this stupid zone blocking scheme, or stop trying to move people around so much, or build a junkyard dog attitude with these guys... something has to change. They've got the highest paid player in football behind him, and its time they played like it. Everybody always said our lack of a running game was more about the RB's than the OL- some think the opposite, but I've heard of plenty of people saying the OL took more than their fair share of the blame. Well, another Giants game, with new RB's, and we still can't run the ball. New players in both the OL and at RB and its the same result. The system just doesn't work. If we need to fire the OL coach, then do it. And don't move any of the other offensive assistants- the reason the offense has had no chemistry since Philbin left is because MM keeps moving everybody. Just stop it. Let people get comfortable with what they're doing and bring in a proven OL coach that can bring out the dog in these guys.

On defense, I think theres more people than just DC that need to go. The secondary sucks despite how often they're touted as being one of the most talented in the league. Somebody needs to pay for that.

As far as offseason acquisitions... I think it'd work wonders for this D to have a top flight CB- somebody with good size thats physical and can run with most of the better receivers. Obviously, we're hurting for a good safety- somebody with top end speed that can take away the deep ball, has good hands and can make plays on the ball, but also can come up and hit. Safeties like that seem to be pretty rare right now.

This defense needs its Haloti Ngata. Raji was playing like that briefly, and has sucked since we won the SB. I like some of the other guys we have but we need a massive space eater and bull rusher in the middle for this defense to ever be dominant again. Last thing is a competent middle linebacker. Somebody thats aggressive and can hit, but also has good speed and awareness and can cover. Most likely, the ILB coach needs to be canned. Because as unimpressive as Hawk has been, nobody has been able to beat him out. Theres something really wrong with that.

All in all, I don't think a whole lot of change needs to be made on offense, just a different blocking scheme and a new attitude from our OL. But theres a ton of wholesale change that absolutely has to happen on defense. Its a shame the Panthers are on a winning streak. I was really hoping they'd fall flat and Rivera would get canned so we'd have a shot at him. I'd sucker punch a 6 year old to have that guy as our DC.

vCash
    If we are out of the playoff race and Rodgers isnt 1000% then i shut him down this season. No need to risk him getting hurt with a subpar O line.

I rather try Flynn and Tolzien to see what we have at the backup position because Rodgers could go down again and our season can be lost again. Its win-win, either the QBs do good and we have a reliable back up or they do bad and we lose which would give us a higer pick. A higher pick would allow Ted to trade back and fill more holes.

vCash
    Rodgers has all ready said regardless if they were eliminated from the playoffs shutting him down is not an option... And I agree with him sorry but to piss him off is not the way to go.. Part of playing in the NFL is about being out there with his teammates and enjoying what he does if you shut him down that could hurt us just as bad in the long run.
    ~
    As for where we land in the draft I truly think we need Safety help on defense first... Maybe it's time to sign a free agent like Byrd and get A TE or a Stud O-Lineman depending what is there.
    ~
    By any means am I giving up on us winning the Division or making the Playoffs were only a game out with 6 to go and our schedule is a very favorable one...

vCash
    i dont see rodgers getting shut down. if he's healthy he'll play
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    We already have a thread about shutting down Rodgers. Let's talk more about the draft, who we should keep or let go, coaches, etc

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Offensively: We need competition across the OL. We have two injured tackles, three if you include Barclay and I'm not convinced EDS is the answer at C.

I think Bostick is going to be a good TE. Much in the same mold of Finley as I don't see Finley back with the Packers. WR and RB are set IMO.

Defensively: Where do I start? Safety, CB and LB are all needs. Even if we don't resign Raji I think DL is ok.

So basically, BPA except DL, WR, RB and QB.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    I would add WR. Maybe not in the first round. But we need another if Nelson or Jones don't resign

vCash
    Wow. Some complete crap in here. Fire our ilb coach Lololololololol he's made every guy they put in look component. He's my favorite position coach

vCash
    Well of course it all depends on draft position but regardless where the Packers pick...

I think a safety or TE should be the first tier of targeting... WR should be considered and maybe an OL if a big time player is available.

As for who should be back or released... I really feel there are a lot of guys who are going to be playing for their jobs the next few weeks. Not too many bright spots from the border-line players the last 3 weeks. We're gonna find out who really wants to be here next year. I suppose that could be the silver lining in #12's injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Wow. Some complete crap in here. Fire our ilb coach Lololololololol he's made every guy they put in look component. He's my favorite position coach
    I agree. Winston Moss has done a very good job and every time we lost a ILB the next one was ready to play.
    And he is the assisant HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    I agree. Winston Moss has done a very good job and every time we lost a ILB the next one was ready to play.
    And he is the assisant HC.
    So much blame going around for Hawk. Look what else he's been handed "to replace Hawk."

Lattimore, waiver claim.

Francois, UDFA.

Manning, gone, late pick.

Jones, 7th round converted inside. So was Lattimore.

In the past it wasn't a ton better and at times he did get him off the field. Heck even when they benched him there for a while when Chillar, Barnett got hurt they got better with the replacements.

Oh and DJ Smith, 6th or 7th rounder.

All game in and didn't flop.

Guy's done amazing with what he's been given.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.

Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    So much blame going around for Hawk. Look what else he's been handed "to replace Hawk."

Lattimore, waiver claim.

Francois, UDFA.

Manning, gone, late pick.

Jones, 7th round converted inside. So was Lattimore.

In the past it wasn't a ton better and at times he did get him off the field. Heck even when they benched him there for a while when Chillar, Barnett got hurt they got better with the replacements.

Oh and DJ Smith, 6th or 7th rounder.

All game in and didn't flop.

Guy's done amazing with what he's been given.
    Fully agree. He seems to be pretty underrated because ILB in a 3-4 aren't the big playmakers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    Fully agree. He seems to be pretty underrated because ILB in a 3-4 aren't the big playmakers
    He's been given a lot of trash to work with. Dude made TWO OLBs (not just OLBs, pass rushing 34OLBs) converts look like starters. C'mon. Give the dude some credit.

He might literally be pound for pound the best coach on the staff. If you know what I'm trying to say, not sure anyone else has been as good at doing their specific job as he has.

We have another stupid as flaw on this team that I've ranted against too. I bring it up once again.

Our WRs coach, ex RB coach and ex running back.

Our RBs coach, career clipboard holding QB.

Our QB coach, ex TE coach and ex TE.

Our TE coach was an ex RB coach before being an OL coach, before being an OLmen. Okay that one makes some sense at least. But why the heck was he with the backs anyways.

One of those, who cares, two of them, well okay. All together it's just strange to me. Alex Van Pelt at RB's coach is just down right stupid. I don't care.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.

Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast