Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Is Peter Chiarelli a horrible drafter?

Hey guys, I've been a long time reader of the site though I haven't been posting much lately. I've been noticing some trends in the Bruins lately and figured I would share with you and maybe spark a little discussion. If Shaiza wants to move this to another thread he can of course.

But I was looking at Chiarelli's draft history and its pretty brutal. He signed in '06 but didn't draft then because of technicalities, but his draft success rate is very low.

Here are the quick stats:
    Since 2007 through the 2013 he has drafted 42 players. Only 4 are in the NHL.
    Of those 4, only 2 are Bruins (Hamilton and Caron.)
    Of those 4, only 2 are starters (Hamilton and Seguin.)

First round picks:
    Hamill- bust.
    Colborne- bust.
    Caron- What do you think?
    Seguin- Budding Superstar.
    Hamilton- Good young defenseman.
    Subban- too soon to tell.

The only two picks that have done well were "gimmes" with Seguin at 2 and Hamilton at 9. When he has had to dig a little deeper in talent assessment, he has swung and missed.

If you like, you can read the whole article I wrote here: http://beantownlifestyle.blogspot.co...nobody-is.html.

Obviously, when it comes down to it, the Bruins have had great success under PC and have one of the deepest, most well built teams in the league. He's also made some pretty unbelievable trades.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I totally reaching here or is there something to this? Are they bad at assessing young talent, do their scouts suck, is something fundamentally wrong with their development system, or is it just plain bad luck?

I'd love to see what you guys have to say.
    I don't like hockey. I'm just good at it. - Brett Hull

vCash
    I think horrible is a very strong word and it doesn't apply to Chiarelli.

I think it's important to mention that Chiarelli and his group are excellent at picking up undrafted players as well. It starts from Krug to Svedberg. Camper, Miller, and Lindblad are no slouches either.

His drafting has gotten a bit better over the years. Of course, he's had his busts like you mentioned, but let's mention some of his solid picks (IMO):

-Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight in round 2.
    -Other promising prospects such as Khokhlachev, Griffith, Grzelcyk, Cunningham, Camara, Subban, Trotman, Cross, and MacDermid.

I think the conclusion is that PC is not a good drafter but he's not horrendous. His missed 1st round picks certainly have hurt us in terms of getting elite young talent, but hopefully that changes for the future.
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    His first rounds picks have been meh, but our strength has always been in the middle rounds of the draft, and PC himself seems to be turning a corner in terms of the draft. I think Cehlarik has potential to be the steal of last year's draft if he continues on his current development curve.

I do wish we still had Jeff Gorton though, he was an excellent drafter

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    Here is the thing, it's not just PC. I mean he doesn't scout every player, he relies on others to do that and give feedback. I think our scouting department as been below average with 1st round picks but good with 2nd-3rd round picks. I know this has been done before but here are some players we passed on

2007 - Couture, Sutter, Eller, Shattenkirk, Pacioretty, Perron, Subban, Simmonds
    2008 - DelZotto, Eberle, Carlson, Markstrom, Allen, Stepan, Hamonic
    2009 - O'Reilly, Chiasson, Silfverberg, Lehner, Elliott, Dumoulin, Tatar

If you could just take one guy from every year and put them on the roster what would you do?

Lucic - Krejci - Eberle
    Erikkson - Bergeron - Silfverberg
    Marchand - Kelly - Smith
    Thronton - Campbell - Paille

Chara - Hamilton
    Seidenberg - Subban
    Boychuk - Krug

Tuukka
    Johnson

OneMan's trying to steal Orpik from me

vCash
    He didn't draft Marchand and Lucic? Krejci? Were they just before he got here?

"I grew up in hockey, and I appreciate the game and respect the game, and I want to play in a place where it matters." - Soupy

vCash
    Honestly though, I will say he is average to above average as a drafter, but he may have the bruins set up as the strongest club at every level in the league. Our cap situation is beautiful, can move Savards number to LTIR whenever he wants. Providence is stacked with first year pros who are developing very nicely. We have the best goalie in the league locked up. The core Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Rask. The outer core Krug, Seidenberg, Krejci, Kelly. Not to mention the best fourth line the nhl has seen in years.

"I grew up in hockey, and I appreciate the game and respect the game, and I want to play in a place where it matters." - Soupy

vCash
    Ya those three were drafted before PC came into town. Marchand is questionable because PC was announced as the GM but couldn't start until after the draft.

Brad Marchand - 2006 draft
    David Krejci - 2004 draft
    Milan Lucic - 2006 draft

OneMan's trying to steal Orpik from me

vCash
    Yeah like I said as a GM he's top notch. He's been great with trades, contracts and scoping out good free agents. I was just looking specifically at the draft.
    I don't like hockey. I'm just good at it. - Brett Hull

vCash
    I'm not really sure this is something you can really blame on a GM although he is the one who puts together the scouting team. Anyways, while they haven't had a great amount of success with their 1st round picks, this teams value lies within the fact that they can find guys in the middle of the draft who they feel fit their style and then mold them...IMO this is just as important as getting value for your 1st rd pick...only when it works out though lol.

The Bruins though are built not only for now but for pretty much the next decade.