Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs down The media continues to fabricate stories about the Jets

Earlier today, we told you about the New York Post's stupid attempt to turn a completely non-controversial event—a Jets team trip to Dave & Buster's the day before their game against the Bills—into a controversy. That story, by columnist Mark Cannizzaro, was based in part on a quote from Buffalo defensive end Mario Williams, who professed to be offended that the Jets had taken his team so lightly. That's not how the interview really went, though, according to locker-room audio provided by a helpful tipster.

After the game, Cannizzaro asked Williams if he thought that the Jets' trip to Dave & Buster's was disrespectful to the Bills. Here's how he renders Williams's response in the paper:

"Me personally, I feel it was disrespectful. I take my nephew to Dave & Busters,'' Bills defensive end Mario Williams told The Post.

But that's not what Williams said. Someone who was also in the Bills locker room sent us an audio file from the media scrum at Williams's locker. You can listen to the entire interview below, but the exchange between Williams and Cannizzaro starts at about the 2:00 mark.

You can hear Cannizzaro pushing Williams toward the soundbite he's looking for. But Williams, who says he didn't even know about the Dave & Buster's trip "until just a few minutes ago," offers little in the way of outrage: "I would say it's a weird kinda thing. I take my nephews to Dave & Buster's."

It's later, with Cannizzaro still pushing this angle on Williams, that he says he considers the Jets to be disrespectful in general: "Me personally, I feel like they're disrespectful in the first place."

Two separate thoughts are mashed into one in order to prop up the flimsy thesis—that Rex Ryan delivered a "motivational bullet" to the Buffalo Bills when he took his players to an overpriced birthday party venue. Never mind that the only outraged Bills player to be named in the report hadn't even heard about the trip until after the game, and wasn't all that outraged, in any case.

And that's how your sausage gets made: out of ******** and thin air. On the plus side, Cannizzaro's lede is now one of the funniest things you'll read all year:

Sometimes the Jets simply make it too easy. Sometimes they just go ahead and write the narrative for you.
    And the media war against the jets continues...... When will the NY media go back to writing real stories?

"Let's be clear. Coples is not only the most physically gifted defensive lineman in the 2012 draft he's also the most talented senior prospect, regardless of position. "CBS Sports

vCash

Thumbs down The media continues to fabricate stories about the Jets

Earlier today, we told you about the New York Post's stupid attempt to turn a completely non-controversial event—a Jets team trip to Dave & Buster's the day before their game against the Bills—into a controversy. That story, by columnist Mark Cannizzaro, was based in part on a quote from Buffalo defensive end Mario Williams, who professed to be offended that the Jets had taken his team so lightly. That's not how the interview really went, though, according to locker-room audio provided by a helpful tipster.

After the game, Cannizzaro asked Williams if he thought that the Jets' trip to Dave & Buster's was disrespectful to the Bills. Here's how he renders Williams's response in the paper:

"Me personally, I feel it was disrespectful. I take my nephew to Dave & Busters,'' Bills defensive end Mario Williams told The Post.

But that's not what Williams said. Someone who was also in the Bills locker room sent us an audio file from the media scrum at Williams's locker. You can listen to the entire interview below, but the exchange between Williams and Cannizzaro starts at about the 2:00 mark.

You can hear Cannizzaro pushing Williams toward the soundbite he's looking for. But Williams, who says he didn't even know about the Dave & Buster's trip "until just a few minutes ago," offers little in the way of outrage: "I would say it's a weird kinda thing. I take my nephews to Dave & Buster's."

It's later, with Cannizzaro still pushing this angle on Williams, that he says he considers the Jets to be disrespectful in general: "Me personally, I feel like they're disrespectful in the first place."

Two separate thoughts are mashed into one in order to prop up the flimsy thesis—that Rex Ryan delivered a "motivational bullet" to the Buffalo Bills when he took his players to an overpriced birthday party venue. Never mind that the only outraged Bills player to be named in the report hadn't even heard about the trip until after the game, and wasn't all that outraged, in any case.

And that's how your sausage gets made: out of ******** and thin air. On the plus side, Cannizzaro's lede is now one of the funniest things you'll read all year:

Sometimes the Jets simply make it too easy. Sometimes they just go ahead and write the narrative for you.
    http://deadspin.com/how-the-new-york...ium=socialflow

And the media war against the jets continues...... When will the NY media go back to writing real stories?

"Let's be clear. Coples is not only the most physically gifted defensive lineman in the 2012 draft he's also the most talented senior prospect, regardless of position. "CBS Sports

vCash
    I created two threads by accident please delete this one.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    It's not just the Jets. It's the city, the country and the world. The media is a giant steaming pile of lying shite.
    If everything they say is a lie, we never know the truth. Don't pay attention to them. They can eat a big pile of steaming, rotten horse scrotums.

vCash
    If I ever mention to a non-Jets fan that the NY media is made up largely of Giants fans who want to **** on the Jets, it's dismissed as a conspiracy theory. It's amazing how bad the media has played everyone.

vCash
    Seriously, who gives a ****? Some of you guys are media haters who attack every story that's not written with Jets colored glasses.

I've said more times than I can count without taking off my shoes that the way to shut these guys up is to win. The Jets haven't done that yet.

I dare one of you guys who ripped Cimini for predicting a Jets loss against the Bills to tell me I'm wrong. I noticed that only one of you actually admitted you were wrong.

Each one of you who fires back at me for this is a ****ing hypocrite, because you rip the media whether they're right or wrong if they don't have a polyanna view about the Jets.

FIRE AWAY BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    If I ever mention to a non-Jets fan that the NY media is made up largely of Giants fans who want to **** on the Jets, it's dismissed as a conspiracy theory. It's amazing how bad the media has played everyone.
    Sorry dude, but it is not true. The Giants win championships, while the Jets have worked on winning the back page. Bottom line is the Jets sell papers because they are a story, whether they win or lose. Winning would shut up the hate, but until they win, they're the team the media will go after.

It has nothing to do with these guys all being Giants' fans.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Sorry dude, but it is not true. The Giants win championships, while the Jets have worked on winning the back page. Bottom line is the Jets sell papers because they are a story, whether they win or lose. Winning would shut up the hate, but until they win, they're the team the media will go after.

It has nothing to do with these guys all being Giants' fans.
    Do you think if the Giants didn't exist we'd get nearly as much criticism as we do?

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Seriously, who gives a ****? Some of you guys are media haters who attack every story that's not written with Jets colored glasses.

I've said more times than I can count without taking off my shoes that the way to shut these guys up is to win. The Jets haven't done that yet.

I dare one of you guys who ripped Cimini for predicting a Jets loss against the Bills to tell me I'm wrong. I noticed that only one of you actually admitted you were wrong.

Each one of you who fires back at me for this is a ****ing hypocrite, because you rip the media whether they're right or wrong if they don't have a polyanna view about the Jets.

FIRE AWAY BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
    As you can see, I don't like the media, period. My problem with that article was not that it ripped the Jets but that a reporter changed someone's quote, to suite his purpose. That's dishonest and it sucks.
    That is why for the most part, I just don't read anything they write.

I agree with your idea. Winning will change everything. Even if they write shite, people won't care if we win.
    People complain about reporters being too harsh, then they say they are too soft is they don't write critically. There is no room for gray. Which is where the Jets are. We are between good and bad. This team deserves to be ripped. And in weeks when we win, they deserve to be dissected because they aren't that good and seeing a teams flows is not a bad thing. A win doesn't mean a parade.

If reading cimini or any other reporter, pisses people off, why read them? Read something affirming, "The little engine that could"

Please excuse me for not firing back at you but you are correct in your assessment and I can't challenge statements with which I agree. (Just kidding, I can challenge statements I agree with but only to cause trouble)

vCash

FIRE AWAY BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
    gladly...

i assume you're referring to me as one of the people who ripped cimini (since i posted that blurb about him on sid rosenberg's show)... except i didn't rip him for picking against the jets. i ripped him for effectively excusing his own inaccuracies and passing it off on the jets' up-and-down nature, as if rich has no control over his own prognostications.

as for guys like cannizzaro, manish, et-al... the reason they get ripped on so much is because they MAKE **** UP!!! you say we invite this type of media because we do not win. there are SEVERAL teams in the NFL who have won FAR LESS than the jets, both recently and throughout history, and NONE of those teams have beat writers who go out of their way to literally CONTRIVE their own stories the way the jets' beats do. every city has crappy beats, but the jets have been saddled with some of the most unethical journalistic endeavors in modern sports journalism history.

if you cannot understand how problematic it is that a guy who's been covering this team for over a decade decided to literally doctor quotes from a bills player to CREATE a non-story, then i don't know what to tell you. if you cannot understand the difference between people criticizing this type of journalism and coverage of their favorite team, as opposed to merely complaining about "non-jets'-colored glasses" articles, then perhaps you are missing the point entirely.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    i still fux wif you, though, magoo

i'm just a former journalist who has a MAJOR pet peeve regarding this type of journalism
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Please credit Tom Ley @ Deadspin as that is the person who wrote the passage you included.

Now imagine Cannizzaro had the audacity to include this little titbit at the end; "Sometimes the Jets simply make it too easy. Sometimes they just go ahead and write the narrative for you." Amazing these hacks get paid for this garbage, then again this is the NYP we're talking about...

vCash

The media continues to fabricate stories about the Jets

Journalist major who's so disgusted with everything in the media that I will never pursue anything with it. The media sucks (Cimini does not suck, he is a good journalist. A little negative but he does a good job reporting and writing) and some of our fans only want positive articles and every thing else is the devils word. It's a two way street. Overall though, the media and not just limited to the NY sport media, is god awful. Many of the problems in this country today can be placed on the media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i still fux wif you, though, magoo

i'm just a former journalist who has a MAJOR pet peeve regarding this type of journalism
    And I fux right back wif you, Towel.

I am also a former journalist who has the same pet peeve.

This particular article was a load of crap written by someone who has no business calling himself a journalist. The sad truth is that most guys in the media are like this. The other sad truth is that this isn't just a NY or Jets issue.

The thing that I find ridiculous is that people here don't care about what's real and what's not. Every time someone writes an article that doesn't kiss the Jets' *****, we get dozens of posts calling the guy a douchebag.

The Jets have gotten ripped apart in the media over the past 3 years because they've been all bravado, with no results. If you're going to provoke the hype, be prepared to take the beating when you don't live up to it.

Rex knows this. Rex doesn't whine and complain about the team being targets. He knows he put that target on their backs, and he knows how to get it off. Bottom line is that you guys are reading what these hacks are writing, which means they have done their job.

I will continue with my "who gives a ****" approach to what's in the media because I don't waste my time with the opinions of people I have no use or respect for. You guys are welcome to continue to bash them and say how they're always wrong, and I'm not worried about getting flamed either.

Oh, and as I finish this post, a commercial for Dave and Busters just came on the TV. Awesome timing considering that's another "who gives a ****" issue that the media is blasting the Jets for.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    And I fux right back wif you, Towel.

I am also a former journalist who has the same pet peeve.

This particular article was a load of crap written by someone who has no business calling himself a journalist. The sad truth is that most guys in the media are like this. The other sad truth is that this isn't just a NY or Jets issue.

The thing that I find ridiculous is that people here don't care about what's real and what's not. Every time someone writes an article that doesn't kiss the Jets' *****, we get dozens of posts calling the guy a douchebag.

The Jets have gotten ripped apart in the media over the past 3 years because they've been all bravado, with no results. If you're going to provoke the hype, be prepared to take the beating when you don't live up to it.

Rex knows this. Rex doesn't whine and complain about the team being targets. He knows he put that target on their backs, and he knows how to get it off. Bottom line is that you guys are reading what these hacks are writing, which means they have done their job.

I will continue with my "who gives a ****" approach to what's in the media because I don't waste my time with the opinions of people I have no use or respect for. You guys are welcome to continue to bash them and say how they're always wrong, and I'm not worried about getting flamed either.

Oh, and as I finish this post, a commercial for Dave and Busters just came on the TV. Awesome timing considering that's another "who gives a ****" issue that the media is blasting the Jets for.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast