Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Reggie Bush's benching

Great read below from Rotoworld, and I agree with it 100%.

Someone mentioned the wet field wasn't good for Bush's outside & speed style of play, but if that's the case, why do we run him up the gut, north-south style, on every freakin first down?

Schwartz seriously thinks that Fuller, Durham, Pettigrew, Ross & Ogletree deserve more playing time than Reggie Bush in a HUGE road game??? I can see Bell getting carries, he's a great RB & could do a lot of damage as lead back on a lot of NFL teams. But no way should he get more carries than Reggie. Just look at how much Reggie's presence on the field has already transformed our offence from last year.

Reggie Bush was benched in Detroit’s latest come-from-ahead loss. Maybe it was the fumble(s). Maybe it was the weather. Maybe it was a little bit of both, as coach Jim Schwartz claimed to the FOX broadcasting crew. Whatever it was, we know this: It was stupid.

The Lions have Calvin Johnson. The world’s best receiver has caught 35 passes for 746 yards and seven touchdowns over his past four games. He is crazy good. Gobsmackingly brilliant. A create-a-player with all 99s. But besides Megatron? Detroit doesn't have many weapons to offer Matthew Stafford, who continues to do his best Kurt Warner impression at the tender age of 25. There’s Kris Durham, Stafford’s college pal who can occasionally win a 1-on-1. There’s Brandon Pettigrew, a drop-prone underperformer who will likely be playing elsewhere next season. There’s Joique Bell, who can do some of the things Reggie Bush does — and did on Sunday — but is no Reggie Bush. Then there’s … not much else.

Why would a team deprive itself of its second best weapon when it’s staring its seventh win right in the face? Someone the opposing defense actually has to account for? Bush touched the ball seven times in the second half Sunday, and only twice before Bell departed with a minor leg injury late in the third quarter. This would be the same second half where the Lions were held to zero points, and Johnson without a catch. The same second half where instead of scheming to get a playmaker out in space, the Lions attempted an idiotic fake field goal that put their punter in position to lose a fumble of his own. The same second half where the soggy conditions likely would have benefited — not hurt, as Schwartz claimed on Monday — one of the league’s most vicious jump-cutters against an aging defense that couldn’t possibly hope to square Bush up in the rain. No matter how you slice it, leaving a healthy Reggie Bush on the sideline is not a smart thing to do.

Of course, the Lions didn’t lose just because they benched Reggie Bush. There were many other factors at play in a mind-numbing defeat for a team that’s grown accustomed to them. Stafford’s receivers committed a string of costly drops, while the gunslinging quarterback forced a ball to a triple-covered Megatron for an interception. The Steelers also simply played better than they did in a second quarter where they got out-scored 27-0.

So it can be debated how much of an effect Bush’s limited workload had in Schwartz’s latest choke job. What can’t be debated is that the Lions lost a game where they didn’t give themselves their best chance to win. That’s because, no matter how well Bell was playing, the Lions are not a better football team when Bush is on the sideline and Durham, Pettigrew and lord knows who else are on the field trying to pick up the play-making slack.

The Lions aren’t going to repeat their mistake in Week 12 against the Bucs. There’s a zero percent chance they’ll further punish one of the league’s total-yardage leaders in a must-win game. But the damage has already been done. A winnable game lost. Another way to lose a game found. One more Sunday to haunt the Lions if they miss the playoffs for the 13th time in 14 years seared in the memory bank.

vCash
    Not much to argue. Coaching staff's comedy of errors in this game, from Bush's benching to that godawful fake field goal, killed any chance of winning this very winnable game.

vCash
    Yeah, bringing in Bush to fumble the ball a few more times and to continue falling on 1 yard runs while trying to cut would have totally helped Stafford. Totally disagree with that article. Bush was extremely ineffective in those conditions and was hurting the team. Bench him. I'm sure he'll come back strong next week.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 11-18-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Yeah, bringing in Bush to fumble the ball a few more times and to continue falling on 1 yard runs while trying to cut would have totally helped Stafford. Totally disagree with that article. Bush was extremely ineffective in those conditions and was hurting the team. Bench him. I'm sure he'll come back strong next week.
    So why would they then bring in Riddick (who plays the same style) in over Bush? I fully agree Bush needs to cover up the ball and sometimes leaves it out there or tucked in the wrong arm, but when you go with Riddick over Bush, its not about the conditions of the game anymore and about the coaches proving a point. They acted like babies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    So why would they then bring in Riddick (who plays the same style) in over Bush? I fully agree Bush needs to cover up the ball and sometimes leaves it out there or tucked in the wrong arm, but when you go with Riddick over Bush, its not about the conditions of the game anymore and about the coaches proving a point. They acted like babies.
    Bush isn't effective when he can't cut and change directions. The field was awful and he was slipping all over the place. God forbid he tried to cut on that mess and twists his ankle or worse tears something. Bush is also not an effective up the middle runner and because they lost Bell they needed to use Theo to go up the middle. Theo may not be the biggest back but his game isn't all based on cutting and quick change of direction like Bush is.

vCash
    Guess our equipment manager forgot the Reggie's longer cleats back in Allen Park.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Because any player that has ever fumbled a football always fumbles 2 or 3 more later in the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    I think I'm siding with fortdetroit on this. Bush was absolutely ineffective in the second quarter as well and look at what we did to them. This if we would have kept our foot on the gas and our garbage receivers could hold on to the ball, I seriously think the lions could have put up 60 points on them. This game should have been won without bush.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Because any player that has ever fumbled a football always fumbles 2 or 3 more later in the game.
    Dude he did the same **** in the Dallas game, he actually had two fumbles that game, but one was recovered by the lions. Having said that, I really don't think he was benched for the fumbles, nor should he have been. The guy could not find his footing, he was slipping and falling all over, all the lions were doing giving him the ball was just giving up a down. I love bush, he had been one of the best if not the best free agent singing I have ever seen personally by the lions. But he's just ineffective on field that is that wet. I blame the coaches for the play calling, and other ****. They still should have won without bush. They put 27 points in the second, and bush did none of it.
    Last edited by Voodoo111; 11-18-2013 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    Dude he did the same **** in the Dallas game, he actually had two fumbles that game, but one was recovered by the lions. Having said that, I really don't think he was benched for the fumbles, nor should he have been. The guy could not find his footing, he was slipping and falling all over, all the lions were doing giving him the ball was just giving up a down. I love bush, he had been one of the best if not the best free agent singing I have ever seen personally by the lions. But he's just ineffective on field that is that wet. I blame the coaches for the play calling, and other ****. They still should have won without bush. They put 27 points in the second, and bush did none of it.
    And they scored ZERO the rest of the game because their starting running back was not on the field.

vCash
    Ok fine, but I don't believe they didn't score the second half because bush wasn't in. These receivers were dropping passes left and right. I believe we lost because of lack of playmakers outside cj. And the rest was coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    Ok fine, but I don't believe they didn't score the second half because bush wasn't in. These receivers were dropping passes left and right. I believe we lost because of lack of playmakers outside cj. And the rest was coaching.
    Did you see the in game stat where they basically said "pick your poison, Reggie or Calvin?". Every game, either Calvin or Reggie goes off for big yards. You can't cover them both. Unless one of them is benched.

vCash
    Bush fumbled twice we just got lucky the first time, Dropped a cpl passes, Looked to me like he ran ATLEAST two wrong routes and was slipping and sliding all over.. Had we kept him in people would be making ****** articles saying gym shorts should have benched him.

Cant win either way imo

Honestly I have a bigger issue that LeShoure wasent active over Riddick when you can check the forecast days in ahead of time

Off-season Sucks

vCash
    Did you see the in game stat where they basically said "pick your poison, Reggie or Calvin?". Every game, either Calvin or Reggie goes off for big yards. You can't cover them both. Unless one of them is benched.
    I understand that bro, but bush was absolutely useless out there Sunday. What poison? He could not find his footing, and that was in the first half when the rain was minimal compared to the second half. Why risk A, either a major injury with the guy trying to change direction again, or B, another fumble. I want him in there too man, all I'm saying is I'm not blaming gym shorts for benching him. As much of a moron as jim is, I don't care that he pulled him.

vCash
    and that still holds true, CJ had 179..

Reggie was ineffective sunday 12 rushes for 31 yards and 2 catches for 23 yards on i think 5 or 6 targets?

Vs

9 for 49 and 3 catches for 48 yards?

and FYI to whomever keeps saying Riddick played, HE DID NOT PLAY. THE ANNOUNCERS SAID HE CAME IN THE GAME BUT IT WAS REGGIE, THEY MADE A MISTAKE.. 21 not 41

Theo Riddick, 0 rushes 0 yards, 0 rec 0 yards 0 targets

Off-season Sucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast