Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why did Morgan Rielly not play last night?

Morgan Rielly is arguably our best defenceman. Why did the leafs not play him last night?

vCash
    Welcome to the Forum, Brickster!

No he's not but they are probably just...

a) Seeing what sending Rielly down would look like
    b) Saving games so he can play 40 over the full 82 game season and remain with the team
    c) Showcasing other Dmen for a trade
    d) He's injured and no one knows about it

a) and b) are most likely

vCash
    The only reason Carlyle sits him is because he's a rookie. Other than that I see no reason why he's being sat. He's outplayed every D man on our team not named Phaneuf or Gunshow. Time to call a spade a spade and play the damn kid.

vCash
    Carlyle did the same thing with Fowler IIRC. Kid was playing well but they sat him anyway to keep him with the team a bit longer and then he started putting up some points and they said "**** it" and played him every night.

vCash
    Because of Carlyle logic.. Which is to say a total lack of regular logic.

vCash
    scratched again tonight apparently? F&@*!#

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    scratched again tonight apparently? F&@*!#

No kidding,he better play tonight.
    For the life of me,I have no idea,how ranger get's 2 play and kid sits.
    And yes he is their best d man,phenuef is so overrated,not a fan,it would be mistake 2 keep him,trade him.
    U gotta sign franson,can't sign them both.
    Down the road u have Gardiner and Riley and I rather have those 2 kids then Phenuef..

Voted by his peers as the most overrated player..AGAIN..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    And yes he is their best d man,phenuef is so overrated,not a fan,it would be mistake 2 keep him,trade him.
    Down the road u have Gardiner and Riley and I rather have those 2 kids then Phenuef..

Ranger is bad, Phaneuf has actually been good this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post

Um... No. Underrated is more like it. If Rielly was playing against Phaneuf's competition every night, he'd probably be in the -30 +/- range. Dion has become a great defender and has always been among the highest scoring D-men.

vCash
    All 30 teams in the league do this. Rielly is not immune, neither are the Leafs. He's been okay, and brutal from game to game, like most teenagers. Look at Buffalo last night, on pace to put up 40 points, in a rebuild, sits several of their good youngsters. The Leafs are a team in win-now and in the future, there's less rope for 19 year-olds. The entire d-core outside of Phaneuf has been awful. JML should get a shot IMO. Rielly has all the time in the world to learn and adapt, he'll be fine. It's the others I'm more concerned about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Um... No. Underrated is more like it. If Rielly was playing against Phaneuf's competition every night, he'd probably be in the -30 +/- range. Dion has become a great defender and has always been among the highest scoring D-men.

Thank you. I remember people in the offseason saying Franson had to be signed because he looked "like our best defender" while playing sheltered minutes and a few games in the playoffs. Now he is playing top-4 minutes consistently and we get to see what his development looks like. I think he's been solid but hopefully people get a better sense just how hard it is to go from a 3rd pairing to 2nd and eventually first. It's a whole different ball game when you start playing against top lines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Thank you. I remember people in the offseason saying Franson had to be signed because he looked "like our best defender" while playing sheltered minutes and a few games in the playoffs. Now he is playing top-4 minutes consistently and we get to see what his development looks like. I think he's been solid but hopefully people get a better sense just how hard it is to go from a 3rd pairing to 2nd and eventually first. It's a whole different ball game when you start playing against top lines.
    Some people are way to arrogant to realize that. Even adjusting to a new partner takes some time. Frason had the defensive minded Fraser backing him up all year as well so he could jump into the rush with little risk. Few people remember Dion getting paired with guys like Holzer at the start of last year, and the were getting lit up early as Holzer was far from a top line guy and got exposed big time.

vCash
    Some people are way to arrogant to realize that. Even adjusting to a new partner takes some time. Frason had the defensive minded Fraser backing him up all year as well so he could jump into the rush with little risk. Few people remember Dion getting paired with guys like Holzer at the start of last year, and the were getting lit up early as Holzer was far from a top line guy and got exposed big time.
    That's a great point. Even something as small as that can really make or break a defenseman.

It's such a hard position to play. You have to adjust all the time because even if your bad or good, teams are always trying to expose you with line changes.

vCash
    Ure right about that,Pheneuf has been good,however his decent d man,shouldn't be top d man,but t.o have no one,so there stuck with him,until Reilly grows up.
    And WTF..Randy..u put Ranger and Frazer out there,are u serious.
    Ranger should be in the minors,Frazer..looks like his hurt,not the same,hold on ure stick,keeps dropping it.
    This team needs a Top Center,if they stay the course they won't make the playoffs.
    D man pairing..Try this Randy.

Pheneuf & Rielly (Why not,c what the kid has,it can't get any worse)
    Gunnerson & Franson(They haven't try this,I believe it would be good d pairing)
    Frazer & Gardiner (Frazer stay at home d man,let Gardiner run,could work)

vCash
    ^ I was actaully thinking Dion and Rielly/Liles/Gardiner might make a good pair. He's more mobile than Gunnarsson and Dion wouldn't have to worry about offense or rushing the puck up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast