Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ability minus character equals loser per Marv Levy.

I was on my way to work the other night, listening to ESPN Radio and the Freddie Coleman show, and he was talking with Marv Levy. They were talking about the Dolphins' incident and also about Dewayne Bowe's marijuana possesion. He made a comment that was akin to what Reggie McKenzie has been stating that you have to have good character to go along with playing ability. Now, the jury's still out on RM's tenure, but I do like the model he's using. It worked well for the Bills, and especially Pollian and Levy. Granted, character alone won't keep you in the NFL, as Levy stated, but you can't have riff-raff, and expect to compete. Whether or not Reggie gets us there, I do think he has taken the right approach. If he's is canned, and I hope he's not, but if he is, I hope whoever Mark Davis hires uses the same model/approach that Reggie is using.

Now, what say ye???????
    Boy, this modern day 20th century technology is "golly-gee-willikers"!! Whaaa?

"Why didn't someone tell me this was the 21st century????"

vCash
    Absolutely! Character is what causes one to feel a responsibility to the team. Character is what makes you do the work even when you dont want to. Builds trust, creates chemistry and a solid locker room. I hope RM stays too.

vCash
    At the same time, I would use that term sparingly when describing the behavior of others. Too often Character is defined in term of Morality, which in turn is heavily rooted in a religious philosophy. Westerners love to demand acquiescence to Character as it is described in our faiths and values.

In 2013 to describe someone who violates the controlled substance policy based on Marijuana use as a "loser" or having poor "character" is way out of context. It could be described as poor judgment at best I get a little tired of hearing sports "professionals" at every level making "addiction" ,and criminal references on this particular issue.
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash
    People are stuck in the past, in the allure of yesteryear's Raiders. Let's be real here. They were a bunch of cheapshot artists....but they were our cheapshot artists, and we loved them. George Atkinson knocking Swann out with a forearm, Jack Tatum head hunting, Ben Davidson spearing a fallen Len Dawson in the back would have gotten them suspended for a year in today's NFL. People remember them doing that, not realizing that football isn't the barbarian sport it once was.
    Boy, this modern day 20th century technology is "golly-gee-willikers"!! Whaaa?

"Why didn't someone tell me this was the 21st century????"

vCash
    To me, character is defined by good judgement and priorities. Folks can do what they like in their private lives as long as no one gets hurt. Once folks start to get hurt, all bets are off.

Bowe is an idiot and his teammates are going to pay for his poor judgement...thus the lack of character. Its why we couldn't gamble on Mathieu and why the jury remains out on him, regardless how well he's played in the first half of his first season. Lets see how he's doing in year 5.

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    People are stuck in the past, in the allure of yesteryear's Raiders. Let's be real here. They were a bunch of cheapshot artists....but they were our cheapshot artists, and we loved them. George Atkinson knocking Swann out with a forearm, Jack Tatum head hunting, Ben Davidson spearing a fallen Len Dawson in the back would have gotten them suspended for a year in today's NFL. People remember them doing that, not realizing that football isn't the barbarian sport it once was.
    Even the guys during that period had character, and some were just plain characters, but they all knew the priority come Sunday. Different times though, those guys wanted to play and appreciated Al's faith in them. It's the single largest reason why Al failed in his later years. The times and values of the players changed but Al continued to believe that players were indebted to that second lease on their career or that being hired by a player's owner would come back to the team in the form of loyalty and effort.

Enough about the past.

Marv and Reggie are both correct, strong character is the foundation that successful careers are built upon. The evidence is on the field every game in the form of effort and discipline. When we acquire just a bit more talent the wins will come, bet on it....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    To me, character is defined by good judgement and priorities. Folks can do what they like in their private lives as long as no one gets hurt. Once folks start to get hurt, all bets are off.

Bowe is an idiot and his teammates are going to pay for his poor judgement...thus the lack of character. Its why we couldn't gamble on Mathieu and why the jury remains out on him, regardless how well he's played in the first half of his first season. Lets see how he's doing in year 5.

-Stork
    Spot on Stork

As fans we tend to forget how young these players are. They will make poor judgments from time to time like any one of us did. But when ( like you said ) someone gets hurt, crap will hit the fan. I admire guys like RM that not only do they have to evaluate a player on his abilities, but how that player reacts with a couple million dollars thrown at him. True colors come out!

Take TP for instance. Who knows where his career will go and doesn't matter. He had some off field issues in college but his work ethic and character has never been in question. At the end of the day he sold an autograph for a tattoo. He didn't rob a bank, caught with drugs, or beat his girlfriend.... Just made poor judgement. Wouldn't want RM's job (I'd like his money though)......
    Last edited by dogdaddy; 11-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    In this day and age anti marijuana laws are no longer in vouge with the majority of the American public. I don't consider it a chatactor flaw or a crime.

vCash
    I don't really care about weed.

Here it is, and it's really simple - I want players who will show up on time, work really hard to be the best they can possibly be, pay attention and focus on their coaching... and that's it. That is literally all I require of a Raider player.

I understand what Reggie is trying to do, and I agree with it. Whoever he signs or drafts from this point forward will be walking into a functioning locker room filled with good men who do things the right way. We're no longer hoping that the Jerry Porters of the world will grow into the sort of players we want them to be - Reggie has simply avoided the numbskulls and headaches.

vCash
    If you look at this team today, Compared to what it was 2 years ago...It is set up for long term success as compared to constant change and instability. This Raiders team and the team going forward will be poised to dominate the AFC West for many years.
    The Defense has been rebuilt and now is just a couple of players from being a top defense. Hopefully this off season we can rebuild the offense, A staring RB, A #1 WR and a couple of OL's. I think that can be achieved through F/A and the draft. As far as a QB, We may have to stick with Pryor or McGloin for at least one more year. Which may not be the worst thing in the world. All in all we are headed in the right direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003:27417801

Here it is, and it's really simple - I want players who will show up on time, work really hard to be the best they can possibly be, pay attention and focus on their coaching... and that's it. That is literally all I require of a Raider player.

I understand what Reggie is trying to do, and I agree with it. Whoever he signs or drafts from this point forward will be walking into a functioning locker room filled with good men who do things the right way. We're no longer hoping that the Jerry Porters of the world will grow into the sort of players we want them to be - Reggie has simply avoided the numbskulls and headaches.
    X2. After viewing the Incognito case I would like to add be good to your fellow teammate as well.
    Last edited by Raider_Vet; 11-16-2013 at 03:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post

I don't care about weed up to a point. If a guy gets stoned with his friends in the off season or even during the season in the privacy of his own home cool. If a player starts failing drug tests or gets pulled over doing 100 mph with a blunt in his ashtray and gets suspended by the NFL for several games then I care.

vCash
    The players haven't changed. It's the information highway that makes them appear different. I'm sure there were just as many juveniles back then, it's just that no one really found out about that stuff. I really don't care what a player does on his own time, as long as no one gets hurt. It'll never change.

vCash
    That motto is fine as long as you don't go overboard. The Miami situation is very interesting to me because i understand it completely. High character is open to interpretation ,and some people are not qualified to judge anyone.
    If your the kind of person who locks your door when you see people that don't fit your profile don't talk about high character.

If you cheat on your wife don't talk about character,if you steal don't talk character ,and so on. There are no perfect people on the planet all have sinned all have fallen short. If we put to much on so called character we will stay at the bottom of the heap.
    I don't want outlaws ,but if a player is not your typical nice guy i don't care in fact i welcome him instead of the soft batch boys we have on offense now.
    Eat to live don't live to eat.

vCash
    The so called "character" distribution per capita is the same among different strata of society- athletes, military, etc.

There is good and bad everywhere.

As the Drill Sergeants at Fort Benning used to say, "Just don't get caught Joe. Just don't get caught".

"Just Win Baby!"