Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What does YOUR team Canada look like as of today?

So, i am at work bored and decided I'd quickly throw together the team I'd put on the ice for Canada at the Olympics. Im sure we will all have differing opinions on this, but I think it will be fun to see where everyone else stands.

I made this with the assumption that Stamkos won't be back in time - if he is he will clearly be on the team and I assume Canada will name him to the team and bring an extra player in case he cant go, similar to how Carter was ready to replace Getzlaf at the last olympics. So, here goes.

Duchene Crosby Tavares
    Nash Getzlaf Perry
    Couture Toews Sharp
    Thornton Bergeron Benn

Extra Forwards: St.Louis, E.Staal

Keith Doughty
    Pietrangelo Weber
    Phaneuf Boyle

Extra Defence: Subban Seabrook

Crawford
    Smith
    Price

There are many other players who I contemplated - Seguin has really turned it up as of late; Him and jamie Benn seem to be clicking a little bit.

Andrew Ladd could get a look - especially being 5 for 5 in the shootout this year and having won 2 cups before.

James Neal, if healthy could be a possibility as well, as he has scored a ton of goals the last couple years as well as Kunitz (to a much lesser extend; mainly because he plays with Crosby)

I am sure Mike Richards will be given some thought but we have Toews, Couture, Bergeron who are all elite two-way centers and will beat him out (in my opinion)

I look forward to seeing your teams and hearing any thoughts you have on mine - should be a fun discussion (I wonder if I forgot anyone.... Spezza?)

vCash
    It is very challenging to narrow down...

Forwards:

Toews-Crosby-Tavares
    Couture-Getzlaf-Perry
    Lupul-Duchene-St. Louis
    Benn-Bergeron-Seguin

Extras: Giroux, Hall

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook
    Pietrangelo-Doughty
    Letang-Weber

Extras: Subban, Vlasic

Goalie:

Luongo
    Smith
    Price
    Last edited by pebloemer; 11-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.

vCash
    It's so tough!

I love the Lupul pick (being a Leafs fan and all)
    and Vlasic is a guy who doesn't get enough recognition - really like that you threw him on there - Cheers!

vCash
    No Williams?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack.Bauer View Post
    It's so tough!

I love the Lupul pick (being a Leafs fan and all)
    and Vlasic is a guy who doesn't get enough recognition - really like that you threw him on there - Cheers!
    It is definitely very tough. Some pretty amazing players will be left off the team. I have nothing against Nash or Staal for example, both phenomenal players, but I was biased more towards recent performance and Nash coming off injury and Staal coming off a horrid start put them at a disadvantage. Big guys like Thornton and Lucic I'd love to include too, but on the big ice I elected with the speedier options. Then of course James Neal has plenty of time to play his way back into the discussion. Hall and Seguin are two guys I have on the bubble.

I like your inclusion of Sharp. I just can't find a place for him on the team.

I just think Lupul is the perfect guy to have on a team like this. He plays physical, has a quick, great shot, goes hard to the net, fights in the corners, etc. It's a nice fit amongst all of the playmakers, especially since he is very comfortable on the wing. Sooooo many centers.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 11-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.

vCash
    I understand your reasoning totally... Originally I didn't have Staal on there... but he's big, fast and can play the wing.

Thornton, i am a HUGE fan of. I think he is playing the best hockey of his career right now and skating just as good if not better than he ever has. Not to mention his defensive game has increased every year and he's good in the faceoff cicrle.

Taylor hall could be deadly on the big ice - hopefully he can stay healthy and make some noise so it's a tough choice for Canada to make.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    It is very challenging to narrow down...

Forwards:

Toews-Crosby-Tavares
    Couture-Getzlaf-Perry
    Lupul-Duchene-St. Louis
    Benn-Bergeron-Seguin

Extras: Giroux, Hall

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook
    Pietrangelo-Doughty
    Letang-Weber

Extras: Subban, Vlasic

Goalie:

Luongo
    Smith
    Price
    I don't see anyway that Toews isn't playing Center. Also, Lupul over Sharp? I can't get behind that. I don't know if Seabrook makes the team. He hasn't been great this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    I don't see anyway that Toews isn't playing Center. Also, Lupul over Sharp? I can't get behind that. I don't know if Seabrook makes the team. He hasn't been great this year.
    I actually debated that one a bit and decided just to leave it. I could very easily switch Duchene and Toews positions and be quite alright with that.

I didn't realize Seabrook has been playing poorly this year.

I'd have no issue with Sharp on the team, it is just very hard to narrow it down. I'd be more inclined to take Seguin or Hall off than Lupul though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I actually debated that one a bit and decided just to leave it. I could very easily switch Duchene and Toews positions and be quite alright with that.

I didn't realize Seabrook has been playing poorly this year.

I'd have no issue with Sharp on the team, it is just very hard to narrow it down. I'd be more inclined to take Seguin or Hall off than Lupul though.
    Poorly might be to harsh for Seabrook, but I don't think he's playing great. I think he's been passed by several guys and doubt he makes the team. The only thing he has going for him is his familiarity with Keith. But even last time when he was on the team, he didn't play with Keith much. He was more of a 6th or 7th d man.

vCash
    Subban over Letang. If Giroux continues to play well he gets my vote, but as of right now I'm not sure.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Lucic?

vCash
    I think he has a shot. He CAN be dominant, i think they will be hesitant due to the large ice surface. But he is a different maker, and I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up on the team. But I don't think he will be there

vCash
    Mason is also making a case to be looked at for the roster. Granted, Smith, Price and Luongo are all playing very well, so it will be extremely tough. He's been terrific though and deserves at least a glance. He's still not on my roster, but if Price or Smith falter, I'd take him.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    There are two goalies on the Leafs who I'd take over Mason, not to mention Price, Luongo, Smith, Crawford or even possible Fleury...

You really think Mason would have a shot? Objectively....

The way Bernier has played for the Leafs you could argue that he should get a good look

vCash
    Why is nobody considering Alex Steen?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast