Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

BPA and this scenario?

Mods, please do not merge this with the "War Room III" thread. I want this to stand on it's own feet, because I want to see what everyone thinks of the BPA model of drafting. Thanks in advance!

Okay, you're the Raiders' newest GM, and you, like other GM's, use the BPA model when you draft, and you never waiver from it and draft for needs. You have the #5 overall pick, and Pryor, in your eyes, could be your QB for the Raiders moving forward. You have Brett Hundley as your #1 rated player on your big board. When it comes your turn to pick, you have Jevedon Clowney, Anthony Barr, Brett Hundley, Jake Matthews, Vic Beasley, Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins all for you to chose from. You know that Beasley, Clowney and Barr fill a much needed position on defense and can actually get at the QB. You also know that Matthews would make a great impact on the offensive line, as he has played both RT and LT. You also know that either Watkins or Evans will immediately upgrade your WR group. Do you draft for need and take either of the three defensive studs, the stud OT, the two top-flight WR's, or the #1 rated player on your big board?

Here's what I'd do, and I'll explain. I'd take Hundley and never think twice. Why? This is a QB driven league, and without a very good one, you'll never have any lasting success. Look at how the Steelers, Pats, Colts with Peyton, Green Bay with Farve and then Rodgers, 49er's with Montana and then Young, and even the Cowboys with Aikman. They usually contended year in and year out, except for a couple years the Packers struggled, but for the most part, these team contended for a championship each and every year. It starts and stops with the QB play. Now, I am not for sure Hundley will declare, and I am expecting him to stay for another year myself, but if he does declare, and he's there when I am picking, he's my pick.

BTW, I am not entirely sold on Hundley, and he's not my first choice, I was just using him for an example. You could plug Mariota or Bridegwater into this as well. So if either of these three QB's fall into your #1 overall rated player, would you take them, regardless you had some confidence in Pryor? I think Mariota stays another year, too.......

vCash
    Ill bite and I have to say I cant believe you went with Hundley. I thought for sure you would build around Pryor. My thinking is at 5 Hundley, Bridge, and Clowney are gone and the next available player would be Mike Evans. We would then have a very solid WR core. And can address the QB situation in the second round with McCarron. Who will win a championship before Hundley or Bridgwater

vCash
    I am pro-Pryor. I was throwing this out hyptothetically to get everyone's take on the BPA model RM uses....

vCash
    I'd trade down and get as much young talent in here as possible. The Raiders don't do well with top 10 picks, usually.

vCash
    You don't draft Hundley for the 2014 season, he might be able to get in some games late, but I don't cotton to the trial by fire unless your O-line is up to protecting the guy.
    If Veldheer and Watson finish the year together and show a clean edge,AND if you bring in an intertior lineman as well...Maybe.

The thing is(for me) I liked the draft Hundley scenario better, when it looked as if Pryor might elevate his game to the point where he had value. I never saw him as an NFL QB, but I had hoped he might yield a third or fourth in a trade scenario. He looks like he will be selling shoes before long at this point.

If Mcgloin plays well than Id definitely draft Hundley and if he can supplant Mcgloin (who in theory plays well) than you now have leveraged 2015 with a QB that someone might give you additional picks for and now your really in the drivers seat.

vCash
    BPA lol the only reason GB drafted Rodgers 1 overall is cause Favre threatened to retire that year for the second time in a row so they covered there butt. I just think you can draft best player at every other position other then QB. You can have 2 great RBs, 2 great recievers, 2 great o-line. So on and so on. If they think Pryor can lead this team for the next 10 years then I dont think they will use a top resource on a QB, I agree with Blackheart1 we will probably trade down and acquire more picks.

vCash
    Of all the guys you specifically mentioned Cog, only two were taken at the top of the draft. Montana was a 3rd, Favre a 2nd, Young went USFL and was subsequently chosen in the dispersal draft (admittedly #1 overall) then traded for a 2nd and a 4th. Rodgers was taken #24. Manning and Aikman went #1 overall.

You can find talent anywhere in the draft. Trade down, trade often...accumulate opportunities.

I like McCarron.

-Stork
    Last edited by themadstork; 11-15-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: very ppor choice of words

vCash
    I like the BPA MO. Id stick to that and fill in gaps thru trade and FA. Point taken about the QB position however. If Bridgewater is available, take him. Anyone else, no, stick to BPA. ...But then Teddy is #1 on my board anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Of all the guys you specifically mentioned Cog, only two were taken at the top of the draft. Montana was a 3rd, Favre a 2nd, Young went USFL and was subsequently chosen in the dispersal draft (admittedly #1 overall) then traded for a 2nd and a 4th. Rodgers was taken #24. Manning and Aikman went #1 overall.

You can find talent anywhere in the draft. Trade down, trade often...accumulate opportunities.

I like McCarron.

-Stork
    Im with you on McCarron, Im not taking chances though. I think if we do have the 5th pick and we can trade down then do it if not. Evans 1 McCarron 2.. A guard at 3
    Last edited by themadstork; 11-15-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: lol, same poor choice of verbage....on my part

vCash
    Bridgewater is so damned skinny and has played no one. I'd be very nervous using a top of the board pick on him.

-Stork

vCash
    Stork:
    Yes he's skinny, but he throws a beautiful, accurate ball and adding weight is easy. Moot point tho, we wont be getting him anyway. McCarron or Manziel would be fine with me in the 2nd.

vCash
    No the Bridgewater, A BIG NO.

I`ll take the kid from Texas A&M this team could use some fire. It`s funny how people want the other Qb`s, the ones who will make no difference. You guys are a mess lol.
    Last edited by the_firm_09; 11-15-2013 at 10:31 AM.

vCash
    A far bigger no to Manziel. He's a dope who runs around like a headless chicken...he's an enormous bust waiting to happen.

Trade down, trade often...pick up McCarron as late as possible...hopefully in the 3rd round or later. Build the lines, find a receiver and a back. Build the core. Spend lots of money in FA.

We compete for the playoffs next year.

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    A far bigger no to Manziel. He's a dope who runs around like a headless chicken...he's an enormous bust waiting to happen.

Trade down, trade often...pick up McCarron as late as possible...hopefully in the 3rd round or later. Build the lines, find a receiver and a back. Build the core. Spend lots of money in FA.

We compete for the playoffs next year.

-Stork
    I don`t think so Stork, you`re forgetting who picks the players on draft day. The team takes on the personality of its leaders, no wonder we`re in trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1 View Post
    I'd trade down and get as much young talent in here as possible. The Raiders don't do well with top 10 picks, usually.
    I fully agree with your assessment of the Raiders historic top picks. However, in this draft I would roll the dice on the Clown man. This guy is a beast and would define the team for years to come.
    Just Win Baby

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast