Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Kobe Pens Foreword for Gasol's Book

“If I could choose my brother today, he would possess qualities that would make him a great leader: calm in the face of a storm; controlled in the throes of confusion. He would be level-headed in his actions and understanding in his judgment. Like me, he would play in the NBA.

“If his organization ever let him down, he would hold his head up high. He would come to work every day, and continue to put in his best effort. He would not lash out or let himself become entangled in drama. He would not let it change him.”

“Our bond would be fortified by a trust only brothers share.”

“I would be proud of my brother; I’d tell him to write a great book. And I would be honored to write the foreword.”
    A couple years ago, award-winning photographer Lori Shepler approached Lakers center Pau Gasol with the idea of collaborating on a book project that offered an intimate look into his life — a life, in which basketball plays only a part. A couple years and 275 pages later, that dream has become a reality in Pau Gasol’s new book titled Life · Vida. As the title suggests, the book is written in English and Spanish, and as only Gasol would have it, proceeds from the book, (which can be purchased here) benefit the Gasol Foundation.

There are three forewords in the book, each written by someone who has entered Gasol’s small, but powerful inner circle: former NBA coach and NBA champion, Phil Jackson, five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, and silver Olympic medalist, Juan Carlos Navarro.
    - http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bry...da/2013/11/14/
    Thought the sentiment was nice between those two. I think they have a real respect for one another. They frustrate the other at times because of mindset but both seem to always be grateful for the trade that allowed Kobe to win without Shaq and Pau to prove he's a great big in this league and not a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kblo247 View Post
    Thought the sentiment was nice between those two. I think they have a real respect for one another. They frustrate the other at times because of mindset but both seem to always be grateful for the trade that allowed Kobe to win without Shaq and Pau to prove he's a great big in this league and not a joke.
    "He would come to work every day, and continue to put in his best effort. He would not lash out or let himself become entangled in drama."

Class.

Havent seen another player (aside from DFish of course) that could actually create and maintain chemistry and co-exist with Kobe Bryant.
    Last edited by Mave1002; 11-15-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    2016 : KKK

vCash
    Odom. Remember the finals post game after Game 7 where he screams L Boogie? Kobe was at his wedding, and even when his son died stayed a week in ny with him. They even go back farther than that, Kobe told Lamar to come out in the draft. They've been friends for years, and when he was struggling in Dallas, Kobe said the Mavs were stupid if they couldn't use him.

But yeah in terms of getting along with him its Fish, Pau, Lamar, Metta, and Eddie Jones

vCash
    Forgot this part, I'm sorry.

It becomes poetic when you stumble across page 184, in a chapter dedicated to Bryant where Gasol writes only these words, “He is like a brother to me.”

vCash
    Ive always mantained that KObe was lucky that in 08 Mitch traded for One of only FOUR stars that could have succesfully mesh with Him and not butt heads that was Duncan, Nash, Kidd and Pau.

Add Webber in the ealry 00s.

Thats it.

Every other star has too much ego or cares too much bout the personal stats and shots taken to bode well with kobe on a 82 games+ playoffs basis ( team usa is a whole different animal).
    ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    Ive always mantained that KObe was lucky that in 08 Mitch traded for One of only FOUR stars that could have succesfully mesh with Him and not butt heads that was Duncan, Nash, Kidd and Pau.

Add Webber in the ealry 00s.

Thats it.

Every other star has too much ego or cares too much bout the personal stats and shots taken to bode well with kobe on a 82 games+ playoffs basis ( team usa is a whole different animal).
    So was Pau, where would his career been if he wasn't traded to LA where he got 2 titles next to one of the greatest to ever play the game? Probably still winless in playoffs.

Kobe needed Pau to win, no doubt, but Pau needed Kobe even more, cause he always was a 2nd option at best.

You'll have to face it one day or another

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    So was Pau, where would his career been if he wasn't traded to LA where he got 2 titles next to one of the greatest to ever play the game? Probably still winless in playoffs.

Kobe needed Pau to win, no doubt, but Pau needed Kobe even more, cause he always was a 2nd option at best.

You'll have to face it one day or another
    We dont know, he was eventually going to get traded or walk out in F.a in the famous 2010 year.
    He may have winded up in Chicago ( his favourite team) or New York or Miami or whatever and end up winning maybe even join lakers as f.a .
    Interesting cause i think Kobe was a f.a too in 2010 and he would probably have walked away too to other team or a diferente 2010 f.a member have joined the lakers.

And bout playoffs, just take a look at the rosters he had, 0 past, present at that moment or future All star players outside pau, 0 accolades the fact he could actually GET THEM to the playoffs is something in his favor not against him, take on account too the stats, first time he chocked, second and third time he raised his stats in playoffs but his teamates ALL went down .
    Its the same that having kobe acountable for not being able to go to the second round with smush, kwame walton and the rest of the crap. plainly stupid.
    Last edited by Hellcrooner; 11-15-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mave1002 View Post
    "He would come to work every day, and continue to put in his best effort. He would not lash out or let himself become entangled in drama."

Class.

Havent seen another player (aside from DFish of course) that could actually create and maintain chemistry and co-exist with Kobe Bryant.
    This is true.... But to me the reason why Kobe loves Pau so much is because Pau passes the ball to him, constantly... And we all know Kobe likes to take his shots But I think it frustrates Kobe at times as well because he KNOWS how talented Pau is and he hates it when he doesn't show it... When it's guys Kobe know Pau can dominate, skill wise that are guarding him and Pau sometimes passes the ball instead of destroying that player, I think that probably upsets the Mamba a lil' bit But this is a great sentiment between two future HOF'ers...

vCash
    I hope both retire as Lakers.

vCash
    great words