Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets Need More Astronauts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-cubs/3520551/
    ORLANDO, Fla. Cape Canaveral is just 100 miles east of the J.W. Marriott Grande Lakes.

Surely Scott Boras had that in mind when he was asked about the New York Mets on Wednesday as the general managers' meetings came to a close. Meeting with a pack of reporters in the lobby of the resort hotel, Boras suddenly became the Prince of Puns when asked about the Mets.

"The Mets are like NASA," the high-powered agent said. "They have big rockets, a lot of platforms and very few astronauts. Astronauts are hard to find. They've got one guy with the Wright Stuff and a lot of Arm-strongs but they need more astronauts.

Boras, of course, was referring to third baseman David Wright, the franchise cornerstone and young right-handed starters Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler. Harvey, a Boras client, will miss next season, though, after undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last month.

The Mets have had five losing seasons, including consecutive 74-88 seasons. Despite playing in the largest market in the country, they again will not big players in the free agent market this winter as the franchise is still recovering from the fortune owner Fred Wilpon lost in the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme.

The Mets' projected outfield, at the moment, is Eric Young Jr. in left field, Juan Lagares in center and Lucas Duda in right. Yet the Boras said the Mets have not expressed in signing two of his clients who are among the top astronauts, er, outfielders on the open market in Jacoby Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo.

Ellsbury's 52 stolen bases led the American League this year while he batted .298 with nine home runs in 134 games for the World Series-winning Boston Red Sox. Choo hit .285 with 21 homers, 20 steals and a .423 on-base percentage in 154 games for the Cincinnati Reds.

Boras' expectation is that both players will sign nine-figure contracts.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson took Boras' remarks in stride and even jokingly said he was going to meet with an undisclosed free agent for a "Sonic burger."

"I'll just say I'm not sure Scott has his intergalactic analogies completely correct or even if I understand what he meant," Alderson said with a smile.

Boras was also willing to share his thoughts on another large-market franchise that has lost with regularity in recent seasons the Chicago Cubs, who have gone a combined 127-197 over the last two years.

Boras believes the Ricketts family has put a greater priority on renovating Wrigley Field than winning since buying the club for $845 million from the Tribune Company in 2009. The Cubs haven't had a winning record in the four full seasons since the sale.

"You're developing the infrastructure but fans don't come to see seats, grass and cement," Boras said. "They come to see players. They've got a really good core of young players coming but you expect more when a family buys a major-market club than what they've done on the field. It's disappointing."

vCash
    How do these GMs stand Boras?????

vCash
    How do you stand car salesmen?

Sometimes you need a car.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    How do you stand car salesmen?

Sometimes you need a car.
    perfect.

vCash
    I thought Boras was spot on, even though he's trying to sell his players nothing he said sounded far fetched. We need more "ASTRONAUTS".

vCash
    It must kill Boras to see a team in the country's largest market operate like a small market team.

Thats gotta hurt business.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    The Astros were the worse team in baseball last year, why would anyone want anybody from that major league franchise?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It must kill Boras to see a team in the country's largest market operate like a small market team.

What's hurting the free agent market is teams like the Rays and the A's. Why is that? Because if they can be consistent winners year in and year out without delving into the free agent market, why can't other teams. Especially watching the Angels spend foolishly and have nothing to show for it.

Let me put it another way, from 1991 to 2010 the Mets spent on FA. They put their available resources in the Free Agent market and not in the minors, drafting or in the development of players. And all they have to show for it is 3 playoff appearances and 1 trip to the WS. They only won 90 or more 3 times.

Let me ask you this, would you consider that 20 year span a successful one?

If not, why do you want to continue in that same path that produced 1 WS appearance and 3 playoff appearances?

Why not follow the 10 year span in the 80's where the Mets won a title and made the playoffs twice and that was without the wildcard. They won 90 or more 6 times. Do you know how many FA they signed in that span?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I just want to add that if the wildcard was around in the 80's, the Mets would have made it from '84-90.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation:27405794
    I just want to add that if the wildcard was around in the 80's, the Mets would have made it from '84-90.
    They only spent smart money twice in the last 20 years. One got rhem into a WS: the other a runaway division title.

Just because you've done something wrong doesnt mean it isnt worth doing right.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

Boras is awesome. He has every right to be upset at this ownership. The Mets being involved for top level talent was an exciting time, even when it didn't always work out.

vCash
    They only spent smart money twice in the last 20 years. One got rhem into a WS: the other a runaway division title.

Did they only spend wisely twice? I think you give them to much credit.

What's the definition of insanity again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Did they only spend wisely twice? I think you give them to much credit.

What's the definition of insanity again?
    Full Definition of INSANITY by Merriam Webster
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insanity

1: a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)

2: such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility

3a : extreme folly or unreasonableness

3b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Full Definition of INSANITY by Merriam Webster
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insanity

1: a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)

2: such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility

3a : extreme folly or unreasonableness

3b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable

Those definitions cover 95% of the posters here.

vCash

Just want to add that the two times the Mets had successful runs was the '69 through '74 and the mid to late 80's. Both were built around a stable of young pitching, and a mixture of young and veteran bats.

Why is it wrong to follow that path? Is it because it takes time and the average fan doesn't have the patience to see it through. Probably.

The average fan left after the pathetic 2010 campaign. The fan base has eroded to the point that they follow the team with a peek in the box score or a clip on the news.

And that's no one's fault besides the owners for allowing this situation come to that. They have the a President who doesn't have a ****ing clue about this team or baseball. The owners usually only hire GMs that they previously worked with before with the exception of Alderson and Cashen.

The reason why the Ray's and A's have been successful is because the entire staff is on board with what they want to do.

There is only 2 ways to get this fanbase excited about this franchise.
    1. Spend on Cano. Not sure if this is a smart move considering all the holes this team has. But this is still reliant on the #2 reason.
    2. This team needs to start winning. NY loves a winner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast