Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Orioles willing to trade Wieters

The Orioles are willing to trade catcher Matt Wieters, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). An extension is unlikely for the Scott Boras client and the Orioles believe that he is set to hit the open market after the 2015 season, barring a dramatic change in thinking.

Wieters, 27, had a solid season in 2013 (.235/.287/.417 with 22 homers) but it wasn't quite on the level of his previous two campaigns. Rosenthal suggested over the weekend that the O's could conceivably move Wieters and target a replacement such as Jarrod Saltalamacchia on the open market. If the Orioles move him now, however, it'll be selling low on one of the best young catchers in baseball.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...t-wieters.html

Credit to BurnOutBrighter from NeoGAF for the pic.

vCash
    I always thought he was overrated...

I should clarify... I always thought he was an overrated hitter - fantastic defensively though and would be a welcomed addition to any ballclub.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    The trade rumors are already getting fun this offseason. Hopefully something actually happens.

Weiters had a bad season last year, but he's a fantastic all around player when he's on.

vCash
    Someone is going to end up giving a lot more than they should for a guy on a steady decline.

vCash
    I think the Phillies need to make a call about him if we lose Ruiz....Wieters is still young
    The real 99% are idiots and sheep when you post give me a reason to believe you are part of the 1%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Someone is going to end up giving a lot more than they should for a guy on a steady decline.
    I think you are dead wrong. No one is going to give up the farm for Weiters when you can bring in Salty or Ruiz for cash. Thats why it is laughable to think he will be traded this offseason. The Os still have 2 years to either figure out how to come up with the cash to pay him or move him at the trade deadline or in an offseason with fewer catchers available so they can get a kings ransom for him.

As a RedSox fan I would absolutely love bringing him to Boston as I think highly skilled defensive catchers are extremely underated. I'll talk the guy that throws out runners at a 50% clip and handles the pitching staff like a wizard over the guy that hits .275 with 30 homers any day.

Blood, Sweat and Beards!!!!!

vCash
    O's are smart. With the stupid money going out for the top 3-4 catchers (and loss of draft picks in some cases) they offer a player with probably at most 3 real good years left, and cash in with 3 or 4 top specs.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I think you are dead wrong. No one is going to give up the farm for Weiters when you can bring in Salty or Ruiz for cash. Thats why it is laughable to think he will be traded this offseason. The Os still have 2 years to either figure out how to come up with the cash to pay him or move him at the trade deadline or in an offseason with fewer catchers available so they can get a kings ransom for him.

As a RedSox fan I would absolutely love bringing him to Boston as I think highly skilled defensive catchers are extremely underated. I'll talk the guy that throws out runners at a 50% clip and handles the pitching staff like a wizard over the guy that hits .275 with 30 homers any day.
    Salty is well overrated. Ruiz has at most two years left. Wieters would clearly slot in as the #2 C if he was a FA. In the Sox case, Ruiz is by far the smartest move they can make. Wieters is not needed in Boston, and his extension would be stupid money.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Steady decline? His decline in rWAR the past two years is totally in dWAR, the far less reliable component. He went from 2.7 dWAR in 2011 to 1.3 dWAR in 2012 to -.3 dWAR in 2013. He fell off a little last year offensively (only 1.7 oWAR), but there was no decline at all from 2011 to 2012 (both 3.2-3.3). While he did swing more last year, his plate discipline numbers are still fine.

He's a switch hitting catcher with power and patience (very rare), plus he is all around solid defensively. Guy's an excellent player and at 27 there's not much reason to believe he can't be a 3-5 WAR player the majority of the next 5 years or so.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    so basiaclly if you blow them away you can have him. i dont see anyone doing that, so he wont be going anywhere
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    so basiaclly if you blow them away you can have him. i dont see anyone doing that, so he wont be going anywhere
    Pretty much, I just don't see them getting proper value back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Steady decline? His decline in rWAR the past two years is totally in dWAR, the far less reliable component. He went from 2.7 dWAR in 2011 to 1.3 dWAR in 2012 to -.3 dWAR in 2013. He fell off a little last year offensively (only 1.7 oWAR), but there was no decline at all from 2011 to 2012 (both 3.2-3.3). While he did swing more last year, his plate discipline numbers are still fine.

He's a switch hitting catcher with power and patience (very rare), plus he is all around solid defensively. Guy's an excellent player and at 27 there's not much reason to believe he can't be a 3-5 WAR player the majority of the next 5 years or so.
    Well passed balls are up from

2011 - 1
    2012 - 5
    2013 - 5

His caught stealings are down, but so are the stolen base attempts (a sign that teams are hesitant to run on him

And range factor has been steady.

The only thing that really dropped is his assists, which is sort of silly to worry about.

dWAR's main component is caught stealing. Since he is throwing less runners out, it might be down (even though his percentage is consistent).

Offensively, this year was clearly the worst of his last three years though.

babip was down, so was his walk rate though.

So basically, all of this simply says it's nothing on the defensive side to worry about.

The concerns should be on the offensive side. Wieters appealing value was his plus bat as a good defensive catcher.

But he has never hit righties well, and that hasn't improved. But he has always mashed lefties, and that was down this (possibly SSS) but the alarming part is possibly a decreased plate discipline, which is a bad sign overall, but none of his contact rates were any worse. It's that he was less patient overall, choosing to attack earlier in the count (but we are talking about a minimal amount).

So Wieters is probably a good WAR bounce back candidate (even though WAR is never fair to catchers). He has to crush lefties though to make up for his weak bat vs righties....he didn't in 2013. As for as his defensive value. I think he is still one of the games best defensive catchers, even if dWAR didn't think so in 2013.

vCash
    I'm not sure how Wieters has 3 good years left, but I'll take him for sure. Upgrading defense at catcher and demoting AJ to a less strenuous role would be nice.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    .235/.287 yikes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersuck View Post
    .235/.287 yikes
    Yes, well there's that.
    鈴木一郎

<a href=http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43695&dateline=1394044691] target=_blank>http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/ima...ne=1394044691]</a>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast