Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather trade?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scherzer

6 54.55%
  • Porcello

5 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Scherzer or Porcello?

Since it seems like one will be gone, who would you guys rather ship off this off season?
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    I'd trade Scherzer since he'd net a ton more.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I'd trade Scherzer since he'd net a ton more.
    But he'd also weaken our chances to win a World Series more.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    I don't think so. With or without Max we haven't hit in the post season since Oakland 2006.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    That's a tough question. Obviously we could get some nice pieces by trading Max, but I really like him as a player. And considering there's no salary cap--and Ilitch doesn't seem to have a problem spending money--might as well keep him. Hell, bring in Cano and a couple of bullpen arms, too.

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    I'd rather deal Porcello. He won't get us much back but I like the rotation we have now with Max, JV, Anibal and Fister.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Since it seems like one will be gone, who would you guys rather ship off this off season?
    It would totally depend on the return, wouldn't it?

vCash
    [URL="http://http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/to-trade-an-ace-or-to-trade-rick-porcello/"] This is an interesting article from Fangraphs showing the salary change isn't nearly as much as people think. Sure, Scherzer would net more on a trade, but how can anyone be sure what, if any, impact the players coming in will have? Scherzer is a tried and true winner, and even with shoddy bats and shaky defense, he's likely to win the Cy Young. I think moving Porcello is the right move..we're not a million miles from a championship. We need Ausmus to let the runners run, we need Miggy healthy at the plate, and we need Prince to..well...do what he was brought in to do. Trade Porcello, sign Nathan, re-sign Benoit to set up, and re-ink Infante. None of those will destroy the team chemistry, and with Castellanos likely starting in left field, we're adding a bit of youth to the squad. I'm eager to see someone push Avila out of the full time catching duties, as he's not only banged up most of the time, but he's a liability at the plate. I wouldn't mind seeing McCann get a shot, but I know he's likely held behind Holaday. All in all, they don't need to make a splash on trading Max..they can trade Porcello and build the bullpen, then address Max's situation after next season.

vCash
    Scherzer. Based on the insane return the Tigers would get for him. Plus he was been good for a year and a half. How do we know that he will continue to be dominating. There is a decent chance that he will never be as good as he was this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    Scherzer. Based on the insane return the Tigers would get for him. Plus he was been good for a year and a half. How do we know that he will continue to be dominating. There is a decent chance that he will never be as good as he was this year
    Good GMs trade high and buy low...the only thing that makes trading Max difficult is that the Tigers are a "Win the World Series or Bust" mode...

...I agree with Ahoda, there is no guarantee that we make the World Series with Max on the squad as we cannot hit consistently enough.

By trading Max we get the best return (over trading Porcello), we can resign Cabrera to an extension, and it extends our window to get to the World Series again from next year only to the next 3 - 4 years...it is the best call, in my opinion.
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

vCash
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scherma01.shtml[/URL] - here's why I think Scherzer can keep going..consider his 4 years in Detroit..W-L has gotten better, ERA has gotten better, and hits and strikeouts have improved year over year...Again, keep in mind, that his win/loss has increased DESPITE lackluster fielding, and bats not always coming to play..that says a lot for a starter...he achieved better numbers and had increased innings. Do I see him staying a 200 inning workhorse, no, not likely, but Porcello's numbers are far diminished from Scherzer's but yet Porcello was coveted by a lot of teams looking for a groundball pitcher prior to last season. I think keeping Scherzer and moving Porcello fits a lot better for the "win NOW" philosophy that Illitch is trying to convey. Besides, we have the relationship with Boras that would make us a front runner to re-sign Max, rather than see him to go another team for this next season and then hit the free agent market where he will almost surely be out of our price range to bring back. Losing Porcello won't hurt nearly as bad with Smyly taking his spot in the rotation and potentially bringing some bullpen help in return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overload792001 View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scherma01.shtml[/URL] - here's why I think Scherzer can keep going..consider his 4 years in Detroit..W-L has gotten better, ERA has gotten better, and hits and strikeouts have improved year over year...Again, keep in mind, that his win/loss has increased DESPITE lackluster fielding, and bats not always coming to play..that says a lot for a starter...he achieved better numbers and had increased innings. Do I see him staying a 200 inning workhorse, no, not likely, but Porcello's numbers are far diminished from Scherzer's but yet Porcello was coveted by a lot of teams looking for a groundball pitcher prior to last season. I think keeping Scherzer and moving Porcello fits a lot better for the "win NOW" philosophy that Illitch is trying to convey. Besides, we have the relationship with Boras that would make us a front runner to re-sign Max, rather than see him to go another team for this next season and then hit the free agent market where he will almost surely be out of our price range to bring back. Losing Porcello won't hurt nearly as bad with Smyly taking his spot in the rotation and potentially bringing some bullpen help in return.
    Scherzer is going to earn $20M+ somewhere...we cannot pay him and stay under the luxury tax threshold (and still upgrade the bullpen in the process). Scherzer could be extended but then you have to let Cabrera go after 2015 which I suppose is an option...albeit not a popular one.

On talent alone, no one would choose to keep Porcello over Scherzer.
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

vCash
    This question all comes down to a ton of what ifs.
    What if Scherzer got us 1 or 2 all star caliber players?
    What if Porcello got us something badass too?
    What if we keep Scherzer, he has a less than steller year and we can resign him for a lot cheaper than expected?

It's such a hard question to answer...If everything was equal and there was no luxory tax and stuff like that, I'd trade Porcello and try to get some bullpen arms and maybe some minor league kid with potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Good GMs trade high and buy low...the only thing that makes trading Max difficult is that the Tigers are a "Win the World Series or Bust" mode...

...I agree with Ahoda, there is no guarantee that we make the World Series with Max on the squad as we cannot hit consistently enough.

By trading Max we get the best return (over trading Porcello), we can resign Cabrera to an extension, and it extends our window to get to the World Series again from next year only to the next 3 - 4 years...it is the best call, in my opinion.
    That's why we need to be dealing with a bad GM!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    That's why we need to be dealing with a bad GM!
    *cough* Miami *cough*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast