Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The Mets Should Take On Ethier Or Braun

Ethier
    Ethier will be 32 and is owed 71 mil over 4 years(this is including the 2.5 mil buyout in 2018). He will be a perrineal .330+ OBP/.410+ SLG RF who can excel in LF.
    He's not a big bopper, but put him in the 2 hole, and we added a quality OF. He's owed 71 million over

What Ethier will cost: Mets offer to eat all of his contract and a mediocre prospect

Braun:
    On the flip side, you have Braun. Braun will be 31 next year, he has posted a
    8%+ BB rate; sub- 22% K rate, and a .330+ BABIP in each of his last 4 seasons, so his performance isn't PED's. The downside to Braun is his contract, as he's owed 117 mil over 7 years(including a 4mil buyout in 2021). Despite the contract, the Mets would be netting an AS bat at LF.

What Braun will cost: Ike Davis or low level prospect, if the Brewers eat 10 - 20 mil of Braun's remaining 117 million salary.

I'd personally acquire both; sign Aroyo for 2 years/30 million and Peralta 2 years/24 million, and give this team a legit 2 - 3 window to compete for the WS.

RF: Ethier
    2B: Murphy
    3B: Wright
    LF: Braun
    1B: Duda
    C: D'Arnaud
    SS: Peralta
    CF: Lagares

Arroyo; Niese, Gee, Wheeler, Mejia

If the pitching performs as advertised, that's a 92 win team, and a 82 win team at worst.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Canon; 11-12-2013 at 05:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Ethier will be 32 and is owed 71 mil over 4 years(this is including the 2.5 mil buyout in 2018). He will be a perrineal .330+ OBP/.410+ SLG RF who can excel in LF.
    In bold, you just described Chris Young who will be 30 and probably cost 15/2 or 24/3 and no prospects. You can probably count on Young for better slugging even (.425-.440), better defense, and better baserunning.

Chris Young makes too much sense..

As far as Braun is concerned, he'll cost WAY more than Ike Davis and some throw-ins. If you're not willing to start with Wheeler or Sydnergaard, forget about it.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 11-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    Braun is a despicable human being. So, no. Plus I'm not sure anyone knows how he performs off of steroids given that it is rumored he was using in college as well.

Eithier? I dunno. I dunno. Maybe. It depends on the cost in talent and how much salary LA picked up.

vCash
    So one decent of'er and one huge question mark for $170million, no thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    In bold, you just described Chris Young who will be 30 and probably cost 15/2 or 24/3 and no prospects. You can probably count on Young for better slugging even (.425-.440), better defense, and better baserunning.

Chris Young makes too much sense..

As far as Braun is concerned, he'll cost WAY more than Ike Davis and some throw-ins. If you're not willing to start with Wheeler or Sydnergaard, forget about it.
    Chris Young plays better defense than Ethier, but he doesn't produce that much contact, and he was a sub .312 OBP guy over the past 2 seasons. Ethier is better, and is a safer investment. Offering a Jayce Boyd should get it done, if the Mets took on all of his remaining salary.

Braun is not that valuable considering the 117 million owed and he's coming off of two PED scandals in 2012 and '13. The Brewers are rebuilding, so it would be perfect for them to cut ties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Braun is a despicable human being. So, no. Plus I'm not sure anyone knows how he performs off of steroids given that it is rumored he was using in college as well.

Eithier? I dunno. I dunno. Maybe. It depends on the cost in talent and how much salary LA picked up.
    I pretty much agree with this post, fully.

Especially the Braun part.

I want no part of him. I can learn to root for cheaters, bad men, men that I wouldn't want to hang out with, but in my book, Ryan Braun is on his whole level. The way he lectured the media and fans on how he would never do steroids...not the person I am...not the way I live my life...too moral...******** after more ********. The way he threw the guy under the bus. All of it. In my entire life watching baseball, I have never had a player rub me wrong like he does. Not even Clemens lol.

I'll never stop rooting for the Mets, but if we traded for Braun, I would be thoroughly disgusted. I REALLY do not want him.

Plus, as has been said, if he's been using since college, how do we know how good he really is in the first place?

Hopelessly Devoted

vCash
    Chris Young plays better defense than Ethier, but he doesn't produce that much contact, and he was a sub .312 OBP guy over the past 2 seasons. Ethier is better, and is a safer investment. Offering a Jayce Boyd should get it done, if the Mets took on all of his remaining salary.

Braun is not that valuable considering the 117 million owed and he's coming off of two PED scandals in 2012 and '13. The Brewers are rebuilding, so it would be perfect for them to cut ties.
    Ethier is neither better nor safer. He'd be a tremendous risk. Young is coming off an awful unlucky year with .237 BABIP which will certaintly bounce back. He's a .330 OBP player. He hurt his shoulder last year after an outfield wall collision which affected his 2012 numbers the rest of the year.

Ethier hasn't had an fWAR season over 3.2 in his entire career. Young has two years 4.5 and 4.2, and he woulda had three straight years of fWAR over 4 if he wouldn't have gotten hurt in 2012. Ethier is lousy defensively and zero threat on the basepaths. He makes better contact than Young, but he's behind him in power. Young will hit for less average, but he walks alot and hits bombs, steals bases, and is a sponge in the outfield. On top fo that, he won't cost prospects. Young is a better player than Ethier.

I wouldn't give anything for Ethier's contract except for fringe D-level prospects and only if Dodgers eat half of it. He's not worth his deal, period.

Give me the defense, the speed, and the power anyday!!!

vCash
    Yeah Ethier blows. I'd gladly take Braun if the Brewers ate salary and he came at a discount. I don't care if he's an a$$hole.

vCash
    Ethier does not blow. I view him as a lesser version of Choo. Good OBP, 15-20 HR pop, can play all 3 OF positions, he's just more of a platoon player. At least he's the good side of the platoon, but he's getting paid too much. If tr Dodgers eat 15-20m he becomes a much more attractive option.

I'll take Braun too. I really don't care about what he did if we got him. It was messed up but the performance on the field matters most.

vCash
    Overall, Ethier is a mediocre baseball player with a bloated overpaid contract. He can hit okay, but every other facet of his game completely blows and drags down his overall value. Let the Dodgers eat it. I don't even want him as a platoon unless it was for peanuts (<$5m/year)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Ethier does not blow. I view him as a lesser version of Choo. Good OBP, 15-20 HR pop, can play all 3 OF positions, he's just more of a platoon player. At least he's the good side of the platoon, but he's getting paid too much. If tr Dodgers eat 15-20m he becomes a much more attractive option.

I'll take Braun too. I really don't care about what he did if we got him. It was messed up but the performance on the field matters most.
    If Braun lied and attacked you nationally, would you root for him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If Braun lied and attacked you nationally, would you root for him?
    No, but team owners in the NBA; NFL, and NHL lock out players and screw over stadium workers, yet you still root for the teams. Hell, MLB blackballed Bonds, yet we are still fans. This whole "Braun is a bad guy, I don't want him" is childish, as long as he's not a criminal and can play well, I would sign up for Braun in LF.

vCash
    No, but team owners in the NBA; NFL, and NHL lock out players and screw over stadium workers, yet you still root for the teams. Hell, MLB blackballed Bonds, yet we are still fans. This whole "Braun is a bad guy, I don't want him" is childish, as long as he's not a criminal and can play well, I would sign up for Braun in LF.
    The Wilpons would never do anything bad. If they ever did, I would stop being a Mets fan.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Braun is worse than some criminals IMO. Screw him. He's a disgrace. At some point you have to draw the line on what you would accept to win. I'll take alot of shady cats on my team who make bad life decisions before I take that scumbag. I'd lose all respect for myself if I rooted for that creep.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 11-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.

vCash
    I'd take Braun.

I think you are underestimating what it would take to get him in a trade though. Maybe they really are sick of him, but at this point I don't think the Brewers will just give Braun away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast