Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How much longer can we keep Corbin around until the team is absolutely demoralized

and just gives up on the progression that is needed to get better for upcoming years?

Should Corbin get 1 or 2 mo. to get this team to become a mildly competitive team where certain individuals are showing improvement; OR continue on the current path. At any rate the plan seems to get rid of Corbin at the end of the year at very least, as part of the plan.

Obviously losing is needed to get a good pick, but getting annihilated still counts as a loss. On top of that to get the most ping pong balls a team usually doesn't have to lose every game.

vCash
    what is corbin not doing right?

vCash
    No kidding. Takes over as the last all star is traded, last year gets a full season with a kolidascope of new players thrown together, and this year every player with experience and big play ability is allowed to walk for NOTHING in return but cap space.

Sure, Corbin in the problem.

I blame fans who think the team needs to be gutted to finally get the best out of some players who have yet to prove much of anything, and who think wallowing into a culture of losing is the way to build a team through the lottery. Yuck. I pray the Jazz franchise survives when those who called for all these roster cuts bail.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    No kidding. Takes over as the last all star is traded, last year gets a full season with a kolidascope of new players thrown together, and this year every player with experience and big play ability is allowed to walk for NOTHING in return but cap space.

Sure, Corbin in the problem.

I blame fans who think the team needs to be gutted to finally get the best out of some players who have yet to prove much of anything, and who think wallowing into a culture of losing is the way to build a team through the lottery. Yuck. I pray the Jazz franchise survives when those who called for all these roster cuts bail.
    I agree with you on the Corbin comment he has been handed a bad deck and yet the less informed fans have the biggest blow horn and call for his firing on a daily to hourly bases. As if we fire him and go hire anyone else they will some how have a magic wand that turns John Lucas into cp3 or heals all the injured and then last but not least waves over the entire team and suddenly they have chemistry.

Now to your last comment that was completely off mark and completely baseless, for every losing franchise you name that is stuck in a culture of losing from gutting a team and rebuilding through the draft. I can name you a team that did this exact very thing and only had a few losing seasons and was built to be contenders for a decade or two.

Was the sonics in a culture of losing when they drafted durant??? No !!! Did they endure a few seasons of losing before they could actually call themselves contenders yes. Are they a big market team where franchise players are flocking too?? No!! Yet they have two superstar how did they get those superstars??? Oh yes from losing with a bunch of vets (above average vets) in their prime and trading them away the year they drafted durant knowing full well they would play all the young guys and lose a bunch. Matter of fact supersonic/thunder had 4 losing seasons in a row (we have had 2 including this year which isn't over) 2 being durants first 2 years were they won 20 and 23 games. Did the thunder promote a losing culture by performing the necessary steps in order to obtain these superstars in the draft ??? Or was it a smart organization that knew anything outside of a miracle they would never achieve the star power they were able to gain through the lottery.

Sorry but the jazz front office nor the entire organization is hardly ran like the bobcats or kings. That's comparing apples to oranges. I've noticed that the older generations of jazz fans are the ones that are complaining the most. Seems to me these generations of jazz fans are a bunch of spoiled brats that had the luxury of watch 20+ winning seasons with 2 all time superstars in Malone and John.

Well guess what, we don't have those superstars we don't have players running over other players to come play in Utah. I bet you when sonics traded away their best players and ended up sucking for an additional 2 years in order to draft Westbrook harden ibaka. While letting the young guys that have been drafted each year play and gain chemistry even if it meant losing a bunch. There were sonic /thunder fans complaining calling for the firing of Scott brooks, calling foul on becoming a "losing culture" and I bet you they are all singing a different tune today.

Signing vets and filling a roster of average to above average players in order to stay mediocre and become first or second round playoff fodder seems to promote more of a losing culture then grinding a few years of losing in order to gain assets that can actually make us contenders and not pretenders. I would say that's the ultimate losing culture mentality, Always staying in the middle never hitting rock bottom to get to the top but never getting to the top either while avoiding rock bottom. Ill step off my box now.

vCash
    I've had a few complaints about Corbins rotations in a few games, but for the most part I think he's doing the right moves. We just suck, no doubt about it. Watching the Kentucky game last night though....gets me excited about the draft!! lets face it, this season is all about getting a top 5 pick. I personally hope we get Dante Exum, I think he's the perfect type of player for the Jazz and we need a good PG for the team. I'm not entirely sold on Burke, but to be fair, I haven't really seen him in action in the pro's yet, only in college.

vCash
    btw as a side note most thunder fans still want brooks fired

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nothappyinut View Post
    I agree with you on the Corbin comment he has been handed a bad deck and yet the less informed fans have the biggest blow horn and call for his firing on a daily to hourly bases. As if we fire him and go hire anyone else they will some how have a magic wand that turns John Lucas into cp3 or heals all the injured and then last but not least waves over the entire team and suddenly they have chemistry.

Now to your last comment that was completely off mark and completely baseless, for every losing franchise you name that is stuck in a culture of losing from gutting a team and rebuilding through the draft. I can name you a team that did this exact very thing and only had a few losing seasons and was built to be contenders for a decade or two.

Was the sonics in a culture of losing when they drafted durant??? No !!! Did they endure a few seasons of losing before they could actually call themselves contenders yes. Are they a big market team where franchise players are flocking too?? No!! Yet they have two superstar how did they get those superstars??? Oh yes from losing with a bunch of vets (above average vets) in their prime and trading them away the year they drafted durant knowing full well they would play all the young guys and lose a bunch. Matter of fact supersonic/thunder had 4 losing seasons in a row (we have had 2 including this year which isn't over) 2 being durants first 2 years were they won 20 and 23 games. Did the thunder promote a losing culture by performing the necessary steps in order to obtain these superstars in the draft ??? Or was it a smart organization that knew anything outside of a miracle they would never achieve the star power they were able to gain through the lottery.

Sorry but the jazz front office nor the entire organization is hardly ran like the bobcats or kings. That's comparing apples to oranges. I've noticed that the older generations of jazz fans are the ones that are complaining the most. Seems to me these generations of jazz fans are a bunch of spoiled brats that had the luxury of watch 20+ winning seasons with 2 all time superstars in Malone and John.

Well guess what, we don't have those superstars we don't have players running over other players to come play in Utah. I bet you when sonics traded away their best players and ended up sucking for an additional 2 years in order to draft Westbrook harden ibaka. While letting the young guys that have been drafted each year play and gain chemistry even if it meant losing a bunch. There were sonic /thunder fans complaining calling for the firing of Scott brooks, calling foul on becoming a "losing culture" and I bet you they are all singing a different tune today.

Signing vets and filling a roster of average to above average players in order to stay mediocre and become first or second round playoff fodder seems to promote more of a losing culture then grinding a few years of losing in order to gain assets that can actually make us contenders and not pretenders. I would say that's the ultimate losing culture mentality, Always staying in the middle never hitting rock bottom to get to the top but never getting to the top either while avoiding rock bottom. Ill step off my box now.
    Woah, I disagree about the Sonics. I grew up in the Seattle area and remember the teachers setting up TV's in my 5th grade classroom to see the Sonic parade for their title. I also remember the Gary Payton/Rainman years (*though by then I was a Jazz fan), but since Gary was traded they went through a decade of losing. If I remember right between 98 and around 07 only the 05 team made the playoffs.

But I only read that far. I need to read the rest of your post.

Hey, I get where you are coming from but I am very worried. I'm old enough to have witnessed what happens to franchises after a period of great success. The Jazz have been unique in preventing what happened to teams like Milwaukee, Minnesota, Seattle, Boston, NJ (I could probably name every franchise). Remember how low Boston got before they rebuilt? "Bird ain't comin through that door folks!"

The thing is, most franchises have the financial backing and market big enough to survive. I'm worried the Jazz don't. Remember, Seattle is a big town and at some point after a decade of poor performance they had trouble coming up with the support to help the team with a new arena and the owner bolted to friggen OKC.

The Miller's aren't uber rich owners, and the Wasatch Front is not a huge market. The Jazz are the biggest game in town though, with only maybe REAL and college sports giving the fan base something else to pour their money and heart into.

You might be right. The only way to rebuild might be wallowing with the dregs for a few years, hitting gold some drafts and pulling up duds on others. I could easily see this thing stretching into a four, five or even ten year losing period if things don't go right.

But the Jazz have had an uncanny way of staying competitive so their is hope.
    Last edited by HotRodsHair; 11-14-2013 at 08:06 AM.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nothappyinut View Post
    Seems to me these generations of jazz fans are a bunch of spoiled brats that had the luxury of watch 20+ winning seasons with 2 all time superstars in Malone and John.

You always have a way with words that just pisses people off.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    as my uncle always says, 'it's better to be pissed off, than pissed on.'
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    as my uncle always says, 'it's better to be pissed off, than pissed on.'
    Getting blown out by 20 points consistently is being pissed on.

With the talent we have on the team, we should be able to compete every night instead of losing games by a huge deficit. Its one thing to lose, but to be getting blown out as often as we do comes down to coaching.

The bright side of this is we get to see the young guys play big minutes. I hope the team keeps Corbin the rest of the season and see if he can show some promise as a coach. If not, we get a high pick and hopefully bring in a competent coach. I'm hoping Jerry Sloan.

vCash
    I don't unless jerry is willing to change to the new systems of the nba. his system didn't work when he retired

vCash
    who's getting blown out consistently? even with this last one, we kept pace after the 1st quarter ended. we're too young and inexperienced and without enough big-time players to overcome a 14 pt deficit. when we keep our heads for 48 minutes, we have proven we can make a close game against almost anyone.

besides, my comment had nothing to do with the jazz play.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    1-10

is it the coach or your players? I haven't been following you guys as much as I did last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

vCash
    I think it's the players right now. We don't have a PG worth a damn, our best PG right now was picked up at the local walmart (literally). With the glaring holes in SF and PG positions it's going to be hard to win games. Then again, the last decent SF we had was AK. I just don't see us faring well unless something is done about that. But for the most part we are hanging in there until the 4th quarter, then the team just falls apart.

vCash
    our depth chart for most of the first 4 games

tinsley/lucas/garret
    hayward/burks/ian clarke
    jefferson
    Favors/mike harris
    Kanter/Gobert

the pg's have been really bad
    hayward has been good, but burks has not been good at all
    jefferson has had a few good games, but has had more bad games
    favors has been inconsistent and harris is an undersized stretch 4 who can't shoot 3's
    kanter has been inconsistent and gobert makes some plays, but I bet if you asked the coaching staff he makes more mistakes then plays.

however pretty soon our lineup might be

trey/lucas
    hayward/burks
    rush/jefferson
    favors/marvin williams
    kanter/gobert

that has the ability to be a much better team(for better or worse)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast